To those who believe the states should decide on abortion

I do? :eusa_eh:

If a state court decided the case, how is that not the same as saying the state decided?

And btw: You're derailing this thread you know!
They ruled that it was the husband's decision. He is the one that made the decision.

btw: At least I rescued it from the basement for you. You're welcome.

You bring up a good point...I think it should be the husband's decision whether or not a woman gets an abortion.

And if there is no husband, it should be her father, and if no father, it would be the paternal grandfather followed by first-born uncle, etc, etc.
I think if she is married the husband should have a say and if she is under eighteen she should talk to her parents about it but otherwise it is up to the women and should stay that way.

And living in a very liberal state I am sure I will never have to vote on it but I am Pro Choice!

If a state court decided the case, how is that not the same as saying the state decided?

They ruled that it was the husband's decision. He is the one that made the decision.

Thanks. ;)

Honestly, I think a lot of the states should decide crowd are a bit scared to answer the deeper question. I won't name names, but I run out of fingers counting the number of posters that have argued it should be up to the states without ever stating how they'd vote if given the chance.

First, in the Schiavo case, it shouldn't have been a Court decision in the first place since, even without an Advanced Directive, a spouse or civil union partner has the legal right to made medical decisions.

Second, the same applies to the "choice" issue -- it shouldn't have been a Court decision, but someone decided to make it one by sticking their nose into someone else's private, medical decisions.

That said, I could just as easily vote FOR states rights, taking the power out of the hands of the Feds [allowing the more conservative or liberal states to handle the issue as they choose], as I could vote AGAINST states rights on the principle that the precedent has already been established. Frankly, I don't see it as an issue since I sincerely doubt that Roe v. Wade will be overturned.

Parental notification, limit the availability of surgical but make the morning after pill available even at convenience store. That gives women 3 days to decide. Outside of that... It needs to be limited by life of the mother.

And what happens if or when the woman who wants the MAP (morning after pill) is prevented from getting it at the drugstore from some self-righteous "prolife" pharmacist or store clerk for religionist/moralistic reasons?

This is why YOUR opinions against abortion don't make the law, and thank GOODNESS for that.

I'd vote to prohibit the practice other than in cases in which the mother's life is seriously threatened. If you can't be bothered to use a rubber and take a pill, you have no right to prevent another being from coming into existence.

Another reason to be happy that moralists like yourself DON'T get to make our sexual and reproductive choices for us. You don't seem to be aware that all contraceptive methods can and do fail, even when used correctly. Although reliable contraceptives can have a high percentage guarantee of unwanted pregnancy occurring, that's still not a 100%guarantee. And women DO have the right to decide whether to continue a pregnancy or not, as THEY choose.

You bring up a good point...I think it should be the husband's decision whether or not a woman gets an abortion. And if there is no husband, it should be her father, and if no father, it would be the paternal grandfather followed by first-born uncle, etc, etc.

You're KIDDING, I hope. If not, you're just another male misogynist who believes women are "too stupid" to make such personal decisions on their own. Women who are ADULTS don't need moronic male relatives to make sexual and reproductive decisions for them.

It should be a state decision, the pregnant female's choice through the first trimester, morning after available and most of all free education on contraception as well as easy, affordable access to it. No notification.

I'd vote to prohibit the practice other than in cases in which the mother's life is seriously threatened. If you can't be bothered to use a rubber and take a pill, you have no right to prevent another being from coming into existence.

Another reason to be happy that moralists like yourself DON'T get to make our sexual and reproductive choices for us. You don't seem to be aware that all contraceptive methods can and do fail, even when used correctly. Although reliable contraceptives can have a high percentage guarantee of unwanted pregnancy occurring, that's still not a 100%guarantee. And women DO have the right to decide whether to continue a pregnancy or not, as THEY choose.
If you properly use a condom and a contraceptive pill, you are not going to get pregnant. Give me an example of a single case in which both of these methods of contraception were used and failed to prevent a pregnancy.

If you properly use a condom and a contraceptive pill, you are not going to get pregnant. Give me an example of a single case in which both of these methods of contraception were used and failed to prevent a pregnancy.
my friend mandy! SHe was on the pill and the condom broke and she got pregnant! No contraceptive is 100% full proof. My aunt had got pregnant twice while on the pill, I worked with another girl you got pregnant I think three times while on the pill.
If you check at an OBGYN office they will give you the numbers on how effective every kind of birth control is most pills are only about 95% to 97%, I chose the one that said 98.9% and there is only one that is that high and it is because it is not just hormones they are using.
My uncle Keith was also born after my grandfather had been snipped! So nothing is full proof!

my friend mandy! SHe was on the pill and the condom broke and she got pregnant!

The condom broke. That's pretty noticeable... you can stop and replace it.

Thanks. ;)

Honestly, I think a lot of the states should decide crowd are a bit scared to answer the deeper question. I won't name names, but I run out of fingers counting the number of posters that have argued it should be up to the states without ever stating how they'd vote if given the chance.

I don't think it should be up to the states. I also don't believe capital punishment should be up to each state. Certain things should be decided on the national level. Why should something like abortion be permitted in one state and not another? The problem with my thinking, however, is that it takes away from the states' rights, which are pretty well layed out in the Constitution.

As for abortion itself, I have mixed feelings. While I don't believe the government should be sticking its nose into everyones personal affaires, the argument for the life of the child actually has much more merit than the argument that a woman can do what she wants with her own body. The child is not her body, it's actually a separate entity within the mother's body needing the mother's body to reach maturation. But it is its own entity and life.

not if it happens right at a certain moment, there is no going back. I think with her there was a small hole or something and they didn't know until afterwords.

While I am a huge proponent of returning this issue, and many others, to the individual states, I have to admit that I'm torn on this issue personally. If any female in my life asked my opinion on whether they should get an abortion I would advise them against it, however I also realize that abortion is not going away and enacting abortion prohibition would likely see a rise in dangerous "back-alley" abortions. I think I would mostly rather see the government take it's hand out of this issue all together, and leave it between the female, her family, and her doctor. If the doctor doesn't want to perform this particular operation, then they should be free to refuse and refer them to another doctor.

Good question manifold.

not if it happens right at a certain moment, there is no going back. I think with her there was a small hole or something and they didn't know until afterwords.

Was it one of those ultra-thin condoms?

Forum List

Back