To Sue or Not To Sue...Wendy's finger Case..

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by dmp, Mar 28, 2005.

1. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    re: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Business/story?id=619456&page=1

The lady is 'considering a lawsuit'...bull - she's alreayd made up her mind.

Frankly, I'm not sure how worked up I'd get in her case. Would I do as she is, and think of it as having just won the lottery? Do I be realistic and remind myself that I wasn't REALLY harmed. Do I settle for free chilli, strained of course, for life from Wendy's? Do I tell Wendy's this:

"I'm not out to get rich. I'll settle for whatever your insurance covers...no more"

"I'm not out to get rich. I'll settle $500"

"I'm not out to get rich. I'll settle $5000"

"I'm not out to get rich. I'll settle $500,000"

??

I like to think I would NOT hire a lawyer unless Wendy's was being 'an ass'.

What kind of 'settlement' would you agree to?

Is it ethical/moral to accept a HUGE cash payout?

2. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I don't know if I would sue. The bad press is probably doing them a lot of harm already. I would definitely make sure there was a thorough investigation. I would probably never eat there again.

3. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I think I'd be turned off to chillie for life - and Wendy's. Free food somewhere else for life would be good. Actually, that's not true, I'm weak. I'd probably settle for the soft ice cream desserts they sell for life. :eek::

4. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If she does sue, she should be required to spend the bulk of her "win" on psychiatric counseling for all the "mental trauma" she suffered.

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I would sue. But I am not so sure I would sue Wendy's. I would sue the factory that processed the chile to begin with. Why? Because obviously somebody lost part of their finger at that job and apparently they never found that part of the finger so evidently somebody we negligent since they never recalled any of the chile processed on that day.

I was at the maccaroni grill a few years back and bit into what I thought was a large chunk of bleu cheese in my salad. It ended up being a large ball of dirt (read fertilizer). I didn't sue, but that was not part of a human body. I have however, never eaten at another Maccoroni Grill again and I never will.

6. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Oh, and to answer your question.... yes it is moral to accept a cash settlement in certain cases and this is one of them. However, like I said, I don't think I would be as upset with Wendy's as I would be with the maker of the chile. Wendy's could not have know or even suspected this was in their chile. I think there should be a limit of course, but how much? I'm not sure. I would think a cool million would take care of things. I guess a big part of it would depend on how much of a chile fan I was. I don't much like chile (damn, and that coming from a Texan) so I would never order any from a place like Wendy's anyway.

7. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    quetsion....who provided the chile mfr the ingredients?....which ingredient was the finger in?...

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Not sure. Not sure where the cutting off of the finger occurred. They can track this stuff though, so the point is, I would trace it back to the source and sue them.

9. Deornwulf

Deornwulf Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'm suddenly reminded of the mouse in a beer bottle scam from the movie "Strange Brew."

If there were no injured workers anywhere along the line, how did the finger get into the chili? Maybe it was in the feed of the cow before it was slaughtered. Or maybe it was introduced at the table....makes one go "hmmmm, yeah right."

10. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

Do you remeber the idiot that stuffed a mouse into a can of beer then tried to sue Coors. They autopsied the animal and found it was shoved in after death. The funny thing is I knew it was faked from the beginning as I had taken a tour of the plant and knew that it would be impossible for this to happen.

The cans are held upside down on an assembly line and are sanitized just before the beer is put in, they are turned over about 1/2 second before the beer is added and about another 1/2 second later the top is put on the can. The cans are weighed to insure the proper amount of beer is added and they go through an X-ray to insure the level is also right. If there was a mouse that jumped in during the 1/2 second when it was possible the can would have been rejected as the level would not have been right, if it was the weight would have been off.