To steal ratings or to not steal ratings

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
The fact they are showing this tonight, probably the biggest viewing night of AI for Fox makes me rather suspicious. If it is truly "news" then why not show it anytime? Why wait to conflict directly with the show.

ABC to Air Alleged 'Idol' Affair Probe

NEW YORK - On the same night that "American Idol" whittled the competition to the final four, ABC News planned to air its interview with a former contestant who alleges judge Paula Abdul coached him through the competition and had a sexual relationship with him.
The Fox hit has been seemingly under siege this season, but it has made little difference to viewers. An estimated 23.8 million people watched Tuesday's competition.

The contestants are headed to a May 24-25 finale sure to be among the year's most-watched TV events.

Fans were watching Wednesday to see if an Internet campaign by voterfortheworst.com continues its success. Organizers are conspiring to get the least talented contestant the record contract prize, and they've made Scott Savol their pick.

The Web site became a victim of its own popularity when a crush of visitors led to its shutdown Tuesday night.

"We had a big traffic problem yesterday at 5 p.m. (PDT) before the show aired on the East Coast, more than 200,000 hits," founder Dave Della Terza said Wednesday.

The traffic jam infringed on other Web sites on the shared server so the site went down. He was trying to get it back up as quickly as possible, this time on a dedicated server, Della Terza said.

Meanwhile, ABC News' "Primetime Live" intended to air its interview with Corey Clark, a 2003 contestant who said that Abdul, after she took a shine to him, helped him with wardrobe, grooming and song selection. Clark was dropped from the show for failing to reveal a past arrest record.

In a snippet of the interview aired on ABC's "Good Morning America" Wednesday, Clark said Abdul's coaching was designed to "knock the dust off the dirty diamond and help me shine." :rotflmao: sounds "dirty" to me.

ABC gathered seven former contestants who had lost to Clark to show them an interview where he made the allegations.

"They watched, their silent faces saying everything about disappointment and disillusion," said John Quinones, who reported the "Idol" story.

Fox said Clark had never informed the network about his allegations. The network promised to look into them, but noted Clark was writing a book and had an incentive to seek publicity. An Abdul representative called Clark "an admitted liar and opportunist who engages in unlawful activities."

I don't watch American Idolotry but I do watch The Apprentice. Guess that makes me a capitalist pig. :rolleyes:

ScreamingEagle said:
I don't watch American Idolotry but I do watch The Apprentice. Guess that makes me a capitalist pig. :rolleyes:

You pig, you don't watch "envy" on fox?

But seriously, the show is not bad, about half the time. I like to see up and coming stars ....... get ripppeeed by Simon. Sorry, but it is funny. And almost always TRUE.

Btw, ........ :fifty: wife likes it, ergo, i do to....... ***hides behind bush** I'm for bo bice.....

Yurt said:
But seriously, the show is not bad, about half the time. I like to see up and coming stars ....... get ripppeeed by Simon. Sorry, but it is funny. And almost always TRUE.

Btw, ........ :fifty: wife likes it, ergo, i do to....... ***hides behind bush** I'm for bo bice.....

I resemble this remark. The whole of it.

Forum List

Back