to sleep perchance to dream.....what are dreams?

A few years back, I got a very bad burn almost lost my fingers, they put me on a pain medication "demerol" I think, and xanax for when I had to be scraped :eek: and while I slept, thousands of spiders were all over me, of course I was dreaming, I think :lol:

Dreams are totally concoctions of the mind, and are symbolic of your day to day life. Most can be explained and/or interpreted.

And if you don't dream, you can die.

I am dying? :(

I don't know... are you? Most of the time you dream. You just don't remember them.

I went 3 years without dreaming, just recently started having them again. I was somewhat worried about it, I would often tell my family, I did not know why I am not dreaming, especially since there had been so much tragedy in the family in recent years :confused:

I am dying? :(

I don't know... are you? Most of the time you dream. You just don't remember them.

I went 3 years without dreaming, just recently started having them again. I was somewhat worried about it, I would often tell my family, I did not know why I am not dreaming, especially since there had been so much tragedy in the family in recent years :confused:

It seems like you're not dreaming because you don't remember, but actually you are dreaming. Once you reach R.E.M. state, you're dreaming, and if you went three years without R.E.M. sleep, you would be either insane or dead. You HAVE to dream. It's very important. Scientists don't know why, but they do you know you do. What prompts the memory to remember your dreams is another mystery. I remember very few of mine.

It seems like you're not dreaming because you don't remember, but actually you are dreaming. Once you reach R.E.M. state, you're dreaming, and if you went three years without R.E.M. sleep, you would be either insane or dead. You HAVE to dream. It's very important. Scientists don't know why, but they do you know you do. What prompts the memory to remember your dreams is another mystery. I remember very few of mine.

I did not know that. Wow, interesting

When I started remembering my dreams, they were very vivid, in color, even. One was a definite healer

When I started remembering my dreams, they were very vivid, in color, even. One was a definite healer

And R.E.M. stands for Rapid Eye Movement. But I wish I could remember all of my dreams. I like to dream. There's also a theory that the conscious mind can't handle what the subconscious mind can is capable of, so the subconscious mind cuts off the memory function to "protect" the conscious mind... go figure. My son was really heavy into dreams for years and read all this stuff about it. Of course then he told me, whether I wanted to know or not... :D

Last edited:

And R.E.M. stands for Rapid Eye Movement. But I wish I could remember all of my dreams. I like to dream. There's also a theory that the conscious mind can't handle what the subconscious mind can is capable of, so the subconscious mind cuts off the memory function to "protect" the conscious mind... go figure. My son was really heavy into dreams for years and read all this stuff about it. Of course then he told me, whether I wanted to know or not... :D

Now I know I must have been dreaming, and why I was NOT remembering them. They must have been pretty awful

Now I know I must have been dreaming, and why I was NOT remembering them. They must have been pretty awful

It's not necessarily that they were awful dreams either. There's a belief that the subconscious mind can "separate" from the body during the dream state, and that where it goes and what it does is more than the conscious mind can comprehend or handle. There's supposed to be like an umbilical cord of sorts connecting the body and your subconscious during these separations, but if ever broken, you will die. Oddly enough, when you are dead, the cord is broken.

Last edited:
It’s snowing heavily, and everyone in the backyard is in a swimsuit, at some kind of party: Mom, Dad, the high school principal, there’s even an ex-girlfriend. And is that Elvis, over by the piñata?

Uh-oh.

Dreams are so rich and have such an authentic feeling that scientists have long assumed they must have a crucial psychological purpose. To Freud, dreaming provided a playground for the unconscious mind; to Jung, it was a stage where the psyche’s archetypes acted out primal themes. Newer theories hold that dreams help the brain to consolidate emotional memories or to work though current problems, like divorce and work frustrations.

Yet what if the primary purpose of dreaming isn’t psychological at all?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/health/10mind.html
Dreams reveal our unresolved anxieties; also our unmet desires. The more insistent ones are sometimes called “nightmares.” They allow us to cope with these anxieties and desires subconsciously, and help us to move on

This may sound silly, but sometimes, my nightmares are of zombies. Something that I know isn't real, thus unable to hurt me, though I wake terrified, and the fear IS always real. :(

Pretty lame, I know....:redface:

I can go into a deep, REM dream sleep at will. Usually when my wife is speaking.

Curious as to all of your responses to dreams (vivid) that come true in great detail as the dream? How do you explain that?

I usually only have very lucid dreams, and won't explain any of them but to say one for an example. If one never thought of a person for 30 years and I mean that person never came to that person's mind, they dream of their death, how they die and all in detail. Awake, and write this dream down immediately, only to learn a week later that this dream in fact is coming to fruition as days go by and as seen in the dream.

I cannot explain that! Can anyone here?

I'm going to sleep now. No I will not tell myself before going to sleep to remember my dream. I will tell those that do not remember their dreams if they do this every night before going to sleep they will eventually start to remember, and even more practice you can wake up and write them down while the memory remembers it all.

I use to do that all the time, No more! I still have an occasional lucid dream though. They are surreal! I am sure everyone has had a lucid dream to some degree.

Ok I'm blabbing, going to sleep.

*waves*

I've been taking calcium/magnesium in higher doses for about a year and I sleep more soundly and remember my dreams better. Something later in the day can trigger my recall of the dream.

They aren't nightmares, just vivid and in color. I sense myself walking by the lake for instance. I feel peace, happiness, sometimes fear or confusion at what I'm seeing.

The other night, I was driving by the lake and instead of waves there were like hundreds of little water spouts. :lol:

I don't think much of it is a fear or wish like Freud says.

Last edited:
I almost always remember dreams, or at least pieces of them. They're vivd and sometimes strange, but rarely scary. The thing I never could understand about dreams is how even the most familiar people and places are usually so different from how they are in real life. Why does that happen?

I almost always remember dreams, or at least pieces of them. They're vivd and sometimes strange, but rarely scary. The thing I never could understand about dreams is how even the most familiar people and places are usually so different from how they are in real life. Why does that happen?

I don't understand that one either. I try to look at those dream analysis sites and can never explain what I saw or heard clearly enough for it to understand.

Forum List

Back