to sleep perchance to dream.....what are dreams?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
It’s snowing heavily, and everyone in the backyard is in a swimsuit, at some kind of party: Mom, Dad, the high school principal, there’s even an ex-girlfriend. And is that Elvis, over by the piñata?

Uh-oh.

Dreams are so rich and have such an authentic feeling that scientists have long assumed they must have a crucial psychological purpose. To Freud, dreaming provided a playground for the unconscious mind; to Jung, it was a stage where the psyche’s archetypes acted out primal themes. Newer theories hold that dreams help the brain to consolidate emotional memories or to work though current problems, like divorce and work frustrations.

Yet what if the primary purpose of dreaming isn’t psychological at all?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/10/health/10mind.html

When I have lots of friends, I always dream of them being eaten by spiders ... I don't fear spiders, and in the dream they never attack me, but I can't get them to stop eating my friends ...

... could be why I don't like having lots of friends ... am I weird ... don't answer that, I already know the answer.

It’s snowing heavily, and everyone in the backyard is in a swimsuit, at some kind of party: Mom, Dad, the high school principal, there’s even an ex-girlfriend. And is that Elvis, over by the piñata?

Uh-oh.

Dreams are so rich and have such an authentic feeling that scientists have long assumed they must have a crucial psychological purpose. To Freud, dreaming provided a playground for the unconscious mind; to Jung, it was a stage where the psyche’s archetypes acted out primal themes. Newer theories hold that dreams help the brain to consolidate emotional memories or to work though current problems, like divorce and work frustrations.

Its WAY to early in the morning to risk brain injury -- or worse -- death, having such deep complicated thoughts. :D

I'll back to you when the brain wakes up. :woohoo:

Uh-oh.

Its WAY to early in the morning to risk brain injury -- or worse -- death, having such deep complicated thoughts. :D

Yup, I'm just now hooking up to my caffeine IV drip via the infusion pump.

I can speak for myself, but I was brought up to understand that dreams are just well, dreams. Nothing solid or particularly meaningful to them. This seems to be the standard understanding of dreams from Western culture

Many other cultures have a different understanding of what dreams really are: easy access to the Spirit World (Westerners laugh at this notion)

Know how Indian tribes found out different uses for medicinal plants? Hint: is was NOT trial and error. It was by talking to the Spirit of the plant in the Dream World (Westerners get a big kick out of that one too)

Uh-oh.

Yup, I'm just now hooking up to my caffeine IV drip via the infusion pump.

Blastin Evlis impersonator (a very damned good one) singing The Gambler ... woke me up ... I'm hyped now.

no one read the article...right? the debate...are dreams the hidden meanings that only appear at night...or does a dreamstate exist at all times...just overridden when one is awake?

no one read the article...right? the debate...are dreams the hidden meanings that only appear at night...or does a dreamstate exist at all times...just overridden when one is awake?

:( I gave a serious response ... though I didn't address that particular part of the topic.

When you sleep, your conscious mind rests but your subconscious is always awake so it dominates the dream state sort of like in meditation. If you've ever tried meditation, you know that a lot of random thoughts float across as you attempt to quiet the mind and come to deep relaxation. Dreams are you and your subconscious in a non relaxed state, imo.

Uh-oh.

Dreams reveal our unresolved anxieties; also our unmet desires. The more insistent ones are sometimes called “nightmares.” They allow us to cope with these anxieties and desires subconsciously, and help us to move on

that is a popular thought but this article is saying...we are always in a dream state...but when we are awake...the stiumlus of being awake overides the dream state...and it discusses...shamans and such who learn from the dream states

Dreams can be hazardous to your health.

herman.jpg

Dreams themselves are a combination (oddly the comic helped me put this into words) of memories and ideas as they move between the memory locations. When you sleep is the time your short term memory becomes your long term memory, thus why us insomniacs have such horrible memory normally. During this process your mind is also sending orders to your body to heal itself and replenish areas it cannot while you are awake. This whole exchange of data is actually completely "behind the curtains" ... the actual dreams that you remember upon waking are the last few seconds of this, when your memory centers are switched back to "record" ... which isn't an instantaneous process, though it's very quick, a few seconds, and your external sensory is brought back to "normal" mode last, those few seconds when you brain is shifting to this on state, the residual memory traces are mixed with your very faint sensory input, the amount of change from the original memory to what you see as "dream" is dependent on so many factors ...

... but meh, what do I know, I'm just a programmer.

-Artists: The Crew Cuts from "Looking Back-The Fabulous 50's"
-Columbia C5 10919
-peak Billboard position # 1 for 9 weeks in 1954
-competing versions charted by The Chords (#5), Stan Freberg (#14), and
-the Billy Williams Quartet (#21)
-considered by many to be the FIRST #1 rock and roll song
-Words and Music by James Keyes, Claude Feaster, Floyd McRae, and
-James Edwards

Hey nonny ding dong, alang alang alang
Boom ba-doh, ba-doo ba-doodle-ay

Oh, life could be a dream (sh-boom)
If I could take you up in paradise up above (sh-boom)
If you would tell me I'm the only one that you love
Life could be a dream sweetheart
(Hello hello again, sh-boom and hopin' we'll meet again)

If only all my precious plans would come true (sh-boom)
If you would let me spend my whole life lovin' you

Now every time I look at you
Something is on my mind (dat-dat-dat-dat-dat-duh)
If you do what I want you to
Baby, we'd be so fine

If I could take you up in paradise up above (sh-boom)

Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da Da-da-da Da
Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da Da-da-da Da, sh-boom

Sh-boom sh-boom Ya-da-da Da-da-da Da-da-da Da, sh-boom

Every time I look at you
Somethin' is on my mind
If you do what I want you to
Baby, we'd be so fine

Life could be a dream
If I could take you up in paradise up above

(Hello hello again, sh-boom and hopin' we'll meet again) boom sh-boom
Hey nonny ding dong, alang alang alang (sh-boom)
Ba-doh, ba-doo ba-doodle-ay
Life could be a dream
Life could be a dream, sweetheart

Life could be a dream
If only all my precious plans would come true
If you would let me spend my whole life loving you

(dee-oody-ooh, sh-boom, sh-boom)
Sweetheart!!

Dreams are totally concoctions of the mind, and are symbolic of your day to day life. Most can be explained and/or interpreted.

And if you don't dream, you can die.

Forum List

Back