To Restore Prosperity, We Must Increase Economic Freedom

IOf one looks at the economisc history of the USA both back when the US government was small, there were no taxes, we were on the GOLD standard, and there was no welfare and compare it to the time after that when those conditions changed?

What do we see?

We see that the economy, during both periods, had wild swings and crippling depressions.

We see that the libertarians claim that the government is the CAUSE of the instability of the market and the economy is nothing but a persistent CANARD.

The fact is that economy waxes and wanes with or without government regulations.

The fact is that the economy waxes and wanes with or without a gold standard.

The fact is that the economy waxes and wanes with or without incomes taxes.

The fact is that the economy waxes and wanes with or without the WELFARE state.

So are you saying that it doesn't matter if we have a government that is too big, too expensive and too far reaching?

I'm saying that the argument currently in vogue -- the one that blames every vasilation in the economy on government is foolish, and that argument isn't supported by the economic history of this nation.

There was a time when everything today's RANDIAN'S insist we need: small government, gold standard, no taxes, even geopolitical isolation! was in effect.

We had that small insignificant non0interferrring goverment that wasn't in everybody's hair, yet we still had depressions, panics, debt crises and so forth.

Don't believe me? Read some books about the economic history of this nation and you will see that for yourself.

These economic downturns are a nature cycle of the economic system we live with.

Last edited:
IOf one looks at the economisc history of the USA both back when the US government was small, there were no taxes, we were on the GOLD standard, and there was no welfare and compare it to the time after that when those conditions changed?

What do we see?

We see that the economy, during both periods, had wild swings and crippling depressions.

We see that the libertarians claim that the government is the CAUSE of the instability of the market and the economy is nothing but a persistent CANARD.

The fact is that economy waxes and wanes with or without government regulations.

The fact is that the economy waxes and wanes with or without a gold standard.

The fact is that the economy waxes and wanes with or without incomes taxes.

The fact is that the economy waxes and wanes with or without the WELFARE state.

So are you saying that it doesn't matter if we have a government that is too big, too expensive and too far reaching?

I'm saying that the argument currently in vogue -- the one that blames every vasilation in the economy on government is foolish, and that argument isn't supported by the economic history of this nation.

There was a time when everything today's RANDIAN'S insist we need: small government, gold standard, no taxes, even geopolitical isolation! was in effect.

We had that small insignificant non0interferrring goverment that wasn't in everybody's hair, yet we still had depressions, panics, debt crises and so forth.

Don't believe me? Read some books about the economic history of this nation and you will see that for yourself.

These economic downturns are a nature cycle of the economic system we live with.

I have read books

And it seems to me that even with huge government programs and ever increasing spending that we have not been able to control what amounts to a natural phenomenon of our economic system.

If all that government spending and tinkering doesn't work then WHY SPEND ALL THAT FUCKING MONEY ON IT?

Forum List

Back