CDZ To reshore or not to reshore...It's purely a business decision

I know what she meant

I thought I knew what she meant too. I did not. The incoherence of his/her posts is so great that it's fully misleading to those of us who read them and apply the standard conventions of English grammar and syntax.

Absolutely not I disagree completely with everything you said

Give up the grammar/ spelling police stuff, if you can't be in a room of say Portuguese or Russians in your trade and figure out what they are saying your not smart enough.

To earn a pay check.

Look, I read what people write. I will try to "figure it out" when writers don't write well. But when a person writes so poorly that what they write, even with my trying to read between the lines of it, leads me to think they mean something that is completely the opposite of what they wrote, that's not my fault. It's not about being a "grammar cop."

Re-shoring is a bad idea. If it is allowed, then every 2nd shareholder reporting quarter will send your job from Bangladesh to America, then from America to Bangladesh. You may like a half year vacation every year, but the Pakis will not accept it.

If you are unhappy with your wage let your feet do the walking. Ronald Reagan

Keyword: prevailing wage. This also sheds light onto Reagan's lies.

I was working at a place, where I was a contractor. I discovered that when you considered all my expenses, I was earning less than minimum wage. When you considered that I worked 12 hour shifts, six days a week, I was earning less than I would at Wendy's.

Sure enough, at the end of the year, I had a taxable income of just $12,000.

Three things to conclude from this. One, you can live on very little. This idea that people earning minimum wage can't make it.... yeah they can. A living wage, depends on how frugally you choose to live. I lived on $12,000 a year, and actually paid off some old debt while doing it.

Was it fun? Was it easy? Was it something I enjoyed and wanted to keep doing? Of course not.

Which leads to number two: There is no such thing as slave wages. I simply quit the job, and found a better higher paying job. People choose to stay where they are at, and complain. Shut up! Get off your butt, and get a better job.

I'm not suggesting other people do anything, that I myself have not done.

Which leads to the third conclusion.... some people like that wage.

Before I left that job, I was really confused by all the people they had working there. So I set about asking the other contractors what their deal was.

Oddly, nearly all of them liked the job. Lots of freedom. No supervisor. Flexible shifts. Tons of travel. They were perfectly happy with the wage. Some of them had been doing this for years.

So all this combined means... Reagan was right. If YOU don't like YOUR wage, shut up, and walk to another job.

was working at a place, where I was a contractor. I discovered that when you considered all my expenses, I was earning less than minimum wage. When you considered that I worked 12 hour shifts, six days a week, I was earning less than I would at Wendy's.

What where you a taxi cab driver? I did that for 2 months one of my "in between jobs" during the recession back around 2010...

After I added it all up ( paying $3.00 bucks a gallon on obama gas, $75 a day in cab rental) I was making like $1.60 an hour

On 60 hour week's.

Don't get me wrong it was one of the most funniest rush of a job I had...but the wages..

So how does this work? $1.60 per hour is $384 per month. But apartment rentals are at $300 too, and then you haven't even bought food and electricity yet. This whole thing doesn't seem to add up.

Re-shoring is a bad idea. If it is allowed, then every 2nd shareholder reporting quarter will send your job from Bangladesh to America, then from America to Bangladesh. You may like a half year vacation every year, but the Pakis will not accept it.

I was working at a place, where I was a contractor. I discovered that when you considered all my expenses, I was earning less than minimum wage. When you considered that I worked 12 hour shifts, six days a week, I was earning less than I would at Wendy's.

Three things to conclude from this. One, you can live on very little. This idea that people earning minimum wage can't make it.... yeah they can. A living wage, depends on how frugally you choose to live. I lived on $12,000 a year, and actually paid off some old debt while doing it.

Was it fun? Was it easy? Was it something I enjoyed and wanted to keep doing? Of course not.

Which leads to number two: There is no such thing as slave wages. I simply quit the job, and found a better higher paying job. People choose to stay where they are at, and complain. Shut up! Get off your butt, and get a better job.

Before I left that job, I was really confused by all the people they had working there. So I set about asking the other contractors what their deal was.

Oddly, nearly all of them liked the job. Lots of freedom. No supervisor. Flexible shifts. Tons of travel. They were perfectly happy with the wage. Some of them had been doing this for years.

So all this combined means... Reagan was right. If YOU don't like YOUR wage, shut up, and walk to another job.

was working at a place, where I was a contractor. I discovered that when you considered all my expenses, I was earning less than minimum wage. When you considered that I worked 12 hour shifts, six days a week, I was earning less than I would at Wendy's.

What where you a taxi cab driver? I did that for 2 months one of my "in between jobs" during the recession back around 2010...

After I added it all up ( paying $3.00 bucks a gallon on obama gas, $75 a day in cab rental) I was making like $1.60 an hour

On 60 hour week's.

Don't get me wrong it was one of the most funniest rush of a job I had...but the wages..

So how does this work? $1.60 per hour is $384 per month. But apartment rentals are at $300 too, and then you haven't even bought food and electricity yet. This whole thing doesn't seem to add up.

That's why I quit when I was waiting for a New job, I had money saved up I hate and never collected unemployment.

To be a good taxi cab driver you really have to hustle it's cut throat and have to do a lot of illega and not moral things to make money I observered. This was a small town I imagine in big city's or tourist traps like myrtle beach you can make it honestly.

On 60 hour week's.

That's why I quit when I was waiting for a New job, I had money saved up I hate and never collected unemployment.

To be a good taxi cab driver you really have to hustle it's cut throat and have to do a lot of illega and not moral things to make money I observered. This was a small town I imagine in big city's or tourist traps like myrtle beach you can make it honestly.

FYI: another example how dishonest it was, the owner of the company managed to get the bus line from stopping at the shopping mall preventing senior citizens only having to pay $2 bucks round trip by bus to get there. He prevented other bus line to go to the poor section of town.

On 60 hour week's.

FYI: another example how dishonest it was, the owner of the company managed to get the bus line from stopping at the shopping mall preventing senior citizens only having to pay $2 bucks round trip by bus to get there. He prevented other bus line to go to the poor section of town.

Interesting.....It's rather astounding that a cab company owner prevailed over a bus company owner in preventing a bus line from entering a poor section of town. Be that as it may....

What you see as "dishonest" about the taxi company's behavior, I see as "competing successfully." The taxi company managers/owner's goal is to generate profits by selling taxicab transportation. S/he does not have an obligation to facilitate transportation consumers buying it from a competing transportation provider. Indeed, it's the exact opposite; s/he should do whatever is legally in his/her power to motivate transportation consumers to purchase it from his company rather than a competitor. To the extent that the owner prevented the bus line from going to a section of town, s/he was more successful than was the owner of the bus company.

As for the ethicality, perhaps even social justice, of the company owner's actions to prevent a bus line from going to the poor section of town, well, that's a different matter. One thing is for sure, even though ethical behavior and honest behavior are both manifestations of one's overall integrity, one can be both "unethical" and "honest" because those two qualities are not the same things. However, because both traits are elements of integrity, one must exhibit them both to be a person of integrity.

I'm not endorsing what the cab company owner did, but I also see nothing dishonest about it. Ethically speaking, there's plenty wrong with what s/he did. (It may even be that it was a bad business decision, but there are too many factors that are unknown to me for me to determine that.)

On 60 hour week's.

I find this claim difficult. While any good business owner would take advantage of any opportunity, I highly doubt that he was directly responsible for the bus moving it's stop points.

It may seem that way, simply by how a socialized system interacts with a capitalist system.

The bus system is funded by the government. $2 per person, does not cover the cost of a city bus operation. The average bus gets roughly two miles per gallon. $2 per person is not enough to cover that, let alone the wages of unionized bus drivers.

The point being, city bus service expands and contracts with the city budget, which of course is based on tax revenue that comes out of the economy.

As a result when the economy is bad, city bus service tend to drop, ironically right when the demand for bus service is highest.

When the economy is good, city bus service tends to expand, ironically right when the demand for bus service is lowest.

Meanwhile the cab company is the exact opposite. When demand is low, it shrinks, and when demand is high, it expends.

So if the economy in your area starts to falter, the city may reduce the number of bus stops, even though demand for bus service is highest.

While the cab company, which expands based on customer demand, would drastically increase, and likely into the exact areas the city bus system just left.

So I'm not entirely sure that somehow one cab company owner had the millions on millions in lobbying and influence over the entire government to force out the government subsidized bus company, I am equally sure that it would seem that way looking at it from the outside.

Forum List

Back