To Quebecois, Walmart=Billy the Kid

Comrade

Jan 9, 2004
Seattle, WA.
From the bitter union bosses who tried to extort Walmart for more benefits, and ended up losing all the jobs for their members, whining about the American 'cowboy' is the only thing they've offered.

I say boo-hoo!

Wal-Mart Canada places ad in Quebec newspapers to vaunt strength of employees
February 14, 2005 - 13:09

MONTREAL (CP) - Wal-Mart Canada took out a full-page ad in several Quebec newspapers Monday, telling its employees they are the "cornerstone" of the company.

The retail giant's move came after its decision last week to close a Quebec store where unionized employees were seeking a first collective agreement.

The company said the store is not profitable but the announcement triggered allegations of union-busting against the U.S.-based company.

Employees at the store in Saguenay, about 250 kilometres north of Quebec City, were awarded union status last summer

Since then, employees at a Wal-Mart store east of Montreal have also been accredited but do not have a contract either.

Wal-Mart's ad says the company has found the last few days "very trying" and seeks to reassure its employees they are its "biggest strength."

"Never let anyone or the Media tell you otherwise," the statement reads.

"You represent the cornerstone of our organization and we believe it is a privilege to have such an exceptional team."

The union representing the 190 employees at the Saguenay store blasted the ad, saying it is insulting to talk about the company finding the last few days hard when workers are losing their job.

"They've been threatening this closure ever since we got the accreditation," said union spokeswoman Marie-Josee Lemieux.

"How can they now say they (employees) are its biggest strength?

"Quebec isn't the Far West where the cowboy with the biggest revolver can do what he wants."

Comrade said:
From the bitter union bosses who tried to extort Walmart for more benefits, and ended up losing all the jobs for their members, whining about the American 'cowboy' is the only thing they've offered.

I say boo-hoo!

The, oops I mean "Le" Saguenay is separatist country. :boohoo:
It was probably their anti-english attitudes that made them impossible to negotiate with.

If you have ever been to a retail store in Quebec and seen "union" workers in action you will understand why Wal Mart decided to close this store. Unlike American workers who like to work and are cheerful Quebec workers generally hide behind unions and want to do the least possible to maintain their job and always with a bad attitude. In my opinion Quebec will always stay behind the curve and it shows in this province.

Forum List

Back