To pray, or not?

So my question is, for those of you who do pray, why? Surely it cannot be for results

I have seldom prayed in my life, mostly because I'm not sure what I'm praying to, but I've found two types of prayer to be pretty effective (for basically the same reason): prayers of thanks and prayers for guidance.

In each case, I'd hold the object of the prayer - the situation I'm either enjoying or trying to solve - in my mind, and clear away all other thoughts. I'd imagine it resting on the palm of my mind, being presented almost like an offering to... well, I don't know what, but I'd try to be mindful of a much larger scope of existence. And then, resting the object situation against that backdrop, I'd project my joy or consternation through the situation, like sending out a sonar signal, and then listen for a response. Just quietly listen, holding the object and being as open as possible.

Often, this would result in a deeper appreciation of the situations I was thankful for, and deeper insights into problematic situations. Sometimes it's effective for problems just because it clears away my fears and preconceptions long enough for me to see the obvious solution.

I've never gotten some sort of magical answer, for which I am grateful. Probably it's simply a matter of me thinking and focusing calmly, but I have this lovely idea that God is just really slick, and likes to answer prayers without answering them, if you see what I mean.

I haven't done that in a while, though; hadn't even thought of it much until this thread reminded me. Maybe I should start trying it again.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back