• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derideo_Te

Je Suis Charlie
Mar 2, 2013
To my white male Facebook friends - Salon.com

This post originally appeared on Cera Byer's Facebook page.

This post is for my white male Facebook friends.

Some of the most disturbing, subtle, insidious, racist comments I’ve seen over the past few weeks have been from my white male Facebook friends. I know a lot of my friends are just mass defriending people, but I’m not quite there yet, because I’m (foolishly, naively) hoping I can reach some of you in a way that creates some kind of change. I know, I know, who ever had his mind changed from something he read on the Internet? But here I am, tilting at windmills.

First, let me say, I’m not addressing you to put you on the defensive. I don’t want to fight. But I really am hoping to reach your heart. So please start with holding what I’m going to say in love and openness, and see if you can let this reach your heart before you fight it with your brain meats.

Next, let me say, this doesn’t apply to all of you. There are some great allies, advocates and freedom fighters among my friends, and I ask you to join this discussion.

OK, let’s do this.

My white male friend, you might actually believe in your heart that you are not racist. You might actually believe that this country is full of equality and justice, and get offended at the idea that it’s not, so this might be really difficult for you.

When people tell us that something we believe to be true is actually not 100 percent true, or maybe not true for everyone, we can experience cognitive dissonance. One way to respond to this is to walk away, or get defensive. Another way to respond is to compassionately lean in to it; lean in to our discomfort, our fear, our panic, our incredulity, our doubt. Open ourselves to the idea that our beliefs are just ideas that we go out and seek support for, and therefore there are other ideas out there that could become our beliefs, very easily, if we were willing to open ourselves up and expand our frame of reference.

That is what I’m inviting you to do here — open yourself up, compassionately expand your frame of reference.

I’d like to invite a thought exercise.

Your child comes to you and says, “Dad, I’m being harassed, bullied, threatened and terrorized at school.”

And you say, “That is impossible. You go to a good school. All the adults I know say it is a good school, so you must be fine. Go back out there.”

And you walk away, convinced that your child must be wrong. You’ve abandoned your child, because you’re not taking his or her report as possibly accurate.

Your wife or sister comes to you and says, “I am being harassed, threatened and terrorized out on the street by men. I experience gender inequality on a daily basis. I live in some degree of constant fear for my personal safety, just because I am a woman.”

And you say, “That is impossible. Sexism is over. Women now occupy relatively high places of power in this country. You are fine.”

And you walk away, convinced that your loved one must be wrong. You have abandoned her, because you are not taking her report as possibly accurate.

Your friends, community, neighbors, co-workers of color come to you and say, “I am harassed, threatened, terrorized on the street by police officers. I am experiencing systemic inequality on a daily basis. I live in constant fear that myself, my brother, my son, will be unfairly convicted of a crime, or shot on the street, simply because of what we look like.”

And you say, “That is impossible. Racism has been conquered. We have a black president. Everyone lives an equal life here.”

And you walk away, convinced that this person is wrong. You have abandoned them, because you are not taking their report as possibly accurate.

My question to you is: In any of these cases, have you done your best?

===========================================

There is plenty more at the link but the question above is what needs to be addressed in my opinion.

When you hear about racism happening to others how do you react?

Do you turn your back and deny that it is happening?

Or do you trust that they are telling the truth and try to address the very real problem they are facing?

As privileged white males we have an obligation and a duty that comes with being at the top of the pecking order and that is to ensure that we do not abuse our position.

There is ample evidence that racism is still an ongoing problem in society today. The sentences handed down to blacks for the same crimes committed by whites are longer. That is indisputable and clear factual evidence that we still have a problem.

So where do you stand?

Are you willing to face up to your brother, your father, your uncle, your coworker, your friend who says things that are racist and call them on it?

Because that is what a real man does in a situation like the one we are facing in society today.

Some of the most disturbing, subtle, insidious, racist comments I’ve seen over the past few weeks have been from my white male Facebook friends. I know a lot of my friends are just mass defriending people, but I’m not quite there yet, because I’m (foolishly, naively) hoping I can reach some of you in a way that creates some kind of change. I know, I know, who ever had his mind changed from something he read on the Internet? But here I am, tilting at windmills.

First, let me say, I’m not addressing you to put you on the defensive. I don’t want to fight. But I really am hoping to reach your heart. So please start with holding what I’m going to say in love and openness, and see if you can let this reach your heart before you fight it with your brain meats.

Next, let me say, this doesn’t apply to all of you. There are some great allies, advocates and freedom fighters among my friends, and I ask you to join this discussion.

OK, let’s do this.

My white male friend, you might actually believe in your heart that you are not racist. You might actually believe that this country is full of equality and justice, and get offended at the idea that it’s not, so this might be really difficult for you.

When people tell us that something we believe to be true is actually not 100 percent true, or maybe not true for everyone, we can experience cognitive dissonance. One way to respond to this is to walk away, or get defensive. Another way to respond is to compassionately lean in to it; lean in to our discomfort, our fear, our panic, our incredulity, our doubt. Open ourselves to the idea that our beliefs are just ideas that we go out and seek support for, and therefore there are other ideas out there that could become our beliefs, very easily, if we were willing to open ourselves up and expand our frame of reference.

That is what I’m inviting you to do here — open yourself up, compassionately expand your frame of reference.

Your child comes to you and says, “Dad, I’m being harassed, bullied, threatened and terrorized at school.”

And you say, “That is impossible. You go to a good school. All the adults I know say it is a good school, so you must be fine. Go back out there.”

And you walk away, convinced that your child must be wrong. You’ve abandoned your child, because you’re not taking his or her report as possibly accurate.

Your wife or sister comes to you and says, “I am being harassed, threatened and terrorized out on the street by men. I experience gender inequality on a daily basis. I live in some degree of constant fear for my personal safety, just because I am a woman.”

And you say, “That is impossible. Sexism is over. Women now occupy relatively high places of power in this country. You are fine.”

And you walk away, convinced that your loved one must be wrong. You have abandoned her, because you are not taking her report as possibly accurate.

Your friends, community, neighbors, co-workers of color come to you and say, “I am harassed, threatened, terrorized on the street by police officers. I am experiencing systemic inequality on a daily basis. I live in constant fear that myself, my brother, my son, will be unfairly convicted of a crime, or shot on the street, simply because of what we look like.”

And you say, “That is impossible. Racism has been conquered. We have a black president. Everyone lives an equal life here.”

And you walk away, convinced that this person is wrong. You have abandoned them, because you are not taking their report as possibly accurate.

There is plenty more at the link but the question above is what needs to be addressed in my opinion.

Or do you trust that they are telling the truth and try to address the very real problem they are facing?

As privileged white males we have an obligation and a duty that comes with being at the top of the pecking order and that is to ensure that we do not abuse our position.

There is ample evidence that racism is still an ongoing problem in society today. The sentences handed down to blacks for the same crimes committed by whites are longer. That is indisputable and clear factual evidence that we still have a problem.

So where do you stand?

Are you willing to face up to your brother, your father, your uncle, your coworker, your friend who says things that are racist and call them on it?

Because that is what a real man does in a situation like the one we are facing in society today.

What we are facing today is a crisis in the black community, of its own making.

People that do not teach their kids how to act in public get what they get.

There is denial on both sides of this issue.

On the one hand...many white males don't experience any of the socio-economic disadvantages of being another sex or race, because of any sexism and racism practiced by white men in positions of influence or authority.

On the other hand...many people, white, non white, or female...react to their disadvantaged socio-economic position in ways that are burdensome to those who are either not disadvantaged, or have overcome those disadvantages.

The problem comes in when people who have, resent the people they give to, and also when the people who receive, resent the people who give.

We'll never have a perfect world, where everyone is responsible. One must also realize that and no one side has all the good guys, and the other all the bad guys...

There are arguments made that charity is better than government social programs, but charity can be inconsistent and given for subjective reasons.

Government social programs can be wasteful and cultivate dependency.

The only "real" imbalance is the amount of power and influence that resides with white males, compared to that of people who are not white males.

Do white males need to give away more than they can afford?...no

Does everybody else deserve more than white males can afford to give them?...no

Is there racism? Sure. But studies also show us that tall and good looking people suffer less discrimination than short, homely people.

Humans have developed over the eons to be more comfortable with people they can relate to. Can we overcome it? Probably not.

Mark

Is here racism? Sure. But studies also show us that tall and good looking people suffer less discrimination than short, homely people.

Humans have developed over the eons to be more comfortable with people they can relate to. Can we overcome it? Probably not.

Mark
Except, of course, if you are TOO tall.

We cannot eliminate what is in the DNA; I am sure racism was wired in as a survival mechanism, but, our brains have evolved and we can override our base instincts.

When I see a beautiful woman with a pussy of a man, my INSTINCTS say bust his ass and steal his woman.

My evolved brain says, "Don't listen to that inner cave man, why do you think he went extinct?".

Is here racism? Sure. But studies also show us that tall and good looking people suffer less discrimination than short, homely people.

Mark
Except, of course, if you are TOO tall.

We cannot eliminate what is in the DNA; I am sure racism was wired in as a survival mechanism, but, our brains have evolved and we can override our base instincts.

When I see a beautiful woman with a pussy of a man, my INSTINCTS say bust his ass and steal his woman.

My evolved brain says, "Don't listen to that inner cave man, why do you think he went extinct?".

You could be right. However, evolution is what has let us last this long. And besides, we don't know how deeply ingrained some beliefs are. For instance, I don't believe men and women are the same, except for what society teaches us. I'm not sure other beliefs are just as strong. We simply don't know.

Mark

Why does your "evolved brain" still listen to your inner racist? Haven't you figured out that white males are losing their position on the top of the pecking order? Do you really want to expose your own sons and grandsons to the aftereffects of your inner racist?

The questions are moronic and sophomoric. No person responds like that to any of those questions at least not a half educated one, well wait it is possible blacks BELIEVE white people do that, doesn't make it true.

OK, let’s do this.

So where do you stand?

Good post, DT.

We blame the victims for what we have done to to them. Not just with race but other areas too. We give lip service to integration and equal opportunity while we deny both to people of color.

Then we pretend its not happening.

Its easy to just say they should man up, or as someone put it, pull their pants up but that's just another way of turning away from our own role in this mess.

I'm saddened to see how many real dirtbag racists there are on this board. I don't want to believe they represent anything more than a minority of losers who must blame others for their own failures.

What's the answer?

How do we evolve and become better than we are?

How do we evolve and become better than we are?

:dunno:

But survival is about adapt or die.

We know that the demographics of this nation are evolving away from a white male dominated society. Will the racists be able to adapt or will they go extinct?

My money is on the latter because I doubt they have the cognitive faculties to adapt.

The questions are moronic and sophomoric. No person responds like that to any of those questions at least not a half educated one, well wait it is possible blacks BELIEVE white people do that, doesn't make it true.

The questions are purely rhetorical to make a point.

That you "BELIEVE" that of blacks says volumes about you.

What are you personally doing to call out racism when you see it happening around you?

What are you personally doing to call out racism when you see it happening around you?
Other then the racist on this board I see no racism. and unlike you I notice the black and red racists on this board as well as the white ones.

Other then the racist on this board I see no racism. and unlike you I notice the black and red racists on this board as well as the white ones.

So you see racists in USMB but none in society at large? :eek:

That is simply not credible.

Tell the author of that piece that until Vietnam more Americans were killed per capita in the American civil war than any other war in history. To right a wrong. To end slavery in this nation. In the 60's we protested and marched for your civil rights. Your black president has done more to undo what has been accomplished than any other. Rev.God Damn America Wright, Al Sharptongue and Obama have convinced you that you are entitled. While you scream white privilege, you demand black privilege. You are no more or less entitled than anyone else in this country. You're rights are the same as mine.

You can't demand respect, you have to earn it. Take responsibility for yourself and your children. Get them off of the streets and into the classroom. Make Ben Carson your model, not Michael Brown. Stop hanging out until dark to help yourself to free stuff and show the world you are worthy of respect. Stop killing each other. Stop blaming everybody else. Do something positive for the country for a change. Get a job.

Last edited:
Tell the author of that piece that until Vietnam more Americans were killed per capita in the American civil war than any other war in history. To right a wrong. To end slavery in this nation. In the 60's we protested and marched for civil rights. Your black president has done more to undo what has been accomplished than any other. Rev.God Damn America Wright, Al Sharptongue and Obama have convinced you that you are entitled. While you scream white privilege, you demand black privilege. You are no more or less entitled than anyone else in this country. You're rights are the same as mine.

You can't demand respect, you have to earn it. Take responsibility for yourself and your children. Get them off of the streets and into the classroom. Make Ben Carson your model, not Michael Brown. Stop hanging out until dark to help yourself to free stuff and show the world you are worthy of respect. Stop killing each other. Stop blaming everybody else. Do something positive for the country for a change. Get a job.
You make too much sense...so much so your post may well be deleted...as two of mine were.

You asked if I saw racism first hand and other then here I do not. Now you change the parameter. And yes in the recent shootings I saw lots of BLACK Racism.

Yes, it is. While there may always be a white that hates blacks and a black that will always hate whites, I have not seen racism in day to day life. The racism we are seeing today is black against white. Not the other way around. Want to get rid of racism, stop teaching your children that crackers are responsible for their lot in life, and instead raise them to reach their potential. Al Sharpton is your problem, not your solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back