To me, living life without Empathy, is a life not worth Living.

I'd say empathy was used in deciding the Loving decision by SCOTUS. Empathy doesn't mean oh your poor dear, I feel sorry for you...let me make a law to make it all better.

Empathy is being able to look beyond the end of your nose and rule accordingly.

I'd say empathy was used in deciding the Loving decision by SCOTUS. Empathy doesn't mean oh your poor dear, I feel sorry for you...let me make a law to make it all better.

Glad to her you define that Ravi. God had empathy when He created mankind. Generally mankind has a hard time understanding that vision of God's creation as mankind without that spirit cannot see beyond it's own nose.

All this talk about some of the things Obama's said about his SC nominee including being empathetic, and then Manifold's sig line where he mentions empathy as well and what he thinks of it...:eusa_whistle:....has lead me to thinking about empathy and whether it truly is just a "girl's thing" as mani's sig suggests?

care

Umm, manifold must speak english as a second language, along with the other wingnuts.

They're confusing empathy with compassion. Educated, English-speakers know the difference.

Empathy is also often confused with projection. When we think we know what another person is feeling it can merely be us projecting onto others what WE would feel in their situation.

All this talk about some of the things Obama's said about his SC nominee including being empathetic, and then Manifold's sig line where he mentions empathy as well and what he thinks of it...:eusa_whistle:....has lead me to thinking about empathy and whether it truly is just a "girl's thing" as mani's sig suggests?

care

Umm, manifold must speak english as a second language, along with the other wingnuts.

They're confusing empathy with compassion. Educated, English-speakers know the difference.

no they are not. try again!

SCOTUS judges are to look at the LAW and rule accordingly.

Yes but can't they have empathy while ruling on those laws and writing their decisions?

Yes but can't they have empathy while ruling on those laws and writing their decisions?

can they do that and follow the strict letter of the law,?, or do they get to judge based on empathy? in other words should empathy be the unknown factor? Gee judge,, I'm standing here in front of you, a lonely little white girl.. and you have up against me a lonely little latina girl who didn't grow up in my middle class burb. I'm gonna feel real cheated if you swing this her way unfairly.. cause she was in the wrong and I was right.. ie the Conn. case.. She judged that wrong from pure empathy for a minority.

In other words, empathy to you is being able to rule on your emotions instead of the law... well... yup, that's exactly what sotomayor said. I guess you and her are two peas in a pod, and we don't need either of you anywhere near a court room.

NO they CAN NOT. It has no BEARING on whether the law applies or the consequences of the LAW.

YOU need to step back and LOOK at what you are asking. You want 9 robes to feel sorry for some schmoo and rather then rule on the written law, its intents, its purposes, its protections for ALL of us, to decide a case by FEELINGS. This means rather then the law you want Judges to make decisions based on how they feel about the contestants in legal battle.

Once again, for the slow, I do not care one whit how detestable a Banker is, how greedy they may be, how Heartless they might seem. The law ESTABLISHES what is and is not allowed.

You want to throw that out cause one side or the other "SEEMS" more compelling personally.

We allow that crap in civil cases and because of that malpractice insurance is through the roof. Because of that Companies are forced to pay MILLIONS simply because a lawyer convinced 12 rubes what an unborn baby thought or felt. Or convinced them that that heartless company violated some nebula's quality of life issue.

because of that crap when someone sues they sue anyone with money that has even the most minuscule ties to what ever case they are fabricating for their client.

Because of that crap a man can be found NOT guilty of murder and then sued in civil court and 12 Jurors can punish him for a crime he was already Judged to be INNOCENT of.

em⋅pa⋅thy
  /ˈɛmpəθi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [em-puh-thee]
–noun
1. the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.
2. the imaginative ascribing to an object, as a natural object or work of art, feelings or attitudes present in oneself: By means of empathy, a great painting becomes a mirror of the self.

Willow do you have a link to that case?

NO they CAN NOT. It has no BEARING on whether the law applies or the consequences of the LAW.

YOU need to step back and LOOK at what you are asking. You want 9 robes to feel sorry for some schmoo and rather then rule on the written law, its intents, its purposes, its protections for ALL of us, to decide a case by FEELINGS. This means rather then the law you want Judges to make decisions based on how they feel about the contestants in legal battle.

Once again, for the slow, I do not care one whit how detestable a Banker is, how greedy they may be, how Heartless they might seem. The law ESTABLISHES what is and is not allowed.

You want to throw that out cause one side or the other "SEEMS" more compelling personally.

We allow that crap in civil cases and because of that malpractice insurance is through the roof. Because of that Companies are forced to pay MILLIONS simply because a lawyer convinced 12 rubes what an unborn baby thought or felt. Or convinced them that that heartless company violated some nebula's quality of life issue.

because of that crap when someone sues they sue anyone with money that has even the most minuscule ties to what ever case they are fabricating for their client.

Because of that crap a man can be found NOT guilty of murder and then sued in civil court and 12 Jurors can punish him for a crime he was already Judged to be INNOCENT of.

Have you ever been in court representing a case yourself?

No, empathy has no place in law. The purpose of the law is to right wrongs, if we were to empathize as to why someone violates the law or a contract then how would we make the victim(s) whole again?

What if couldn’t evict tenants because a judge decided that some justifiable circumstance (it happens) occurred in their life that precludes them from paying and a judge decides that he/she won’t force them to vacate because the reason they can’t pay is justifiable, based on the judges’ empathetic interpretation of the situation? It wouldn’t be long before my little piece of the pie would crumble up and fold. Then, I’d be standing before the judge asking for empathy.

Such rulings would create a domino effect that would negatively filter all the way up to the biggest firms in the country, eventually bringing all of us down. The law cannot dictate the welfare of the people through empathy, the people must take responsibility for their own welfare otherwise we would all suffer as the result of their ways.

That said, I understand that bad things happen to good people. Nevertheless, I can't allow those things to damage me. I can and do work with people to help them out, but for the sake of my own welfare I can't allow their problems to become my crisis.

In other words, empathy to you is being able to rule on your emotions instead of the law... well... yup, that's exactly what sotomayor said. I guess you and her are two peas in a pod, and we don't need either of you anywhere near a court room.
Not at all. Empathy would be a judge getting past their own personal ick factor and being able to judge that there is no logical reason to keep interracial couples or even same sex couples from getting married.

No, empathy has no place in law. The purpose of the law is to right wrongs, if we were to empathize as to why someone violates the law or a contract then how would we make the victim(s) whole again?

What if couldn’t evict tenants because a judge decided that some justifiable circumstance (it happens) occurred in their life that precludes them from paying and a judge decides that he/she won’t force them to vacate because the reason they can’t pay is justifiable, based on the judges’ empathetic interpretation of the situation? It wouldn’t be long before my little piece of the pie would crumble up and fold. Then, I’d be standing before the judge asking for empathy.

Such rulings would create a domino effect that would negatively filter all the way up to the biggest firms in the country, eventually bringing all of us down. The law cannot dictate the welfare of the people through empathy, the people must take responsibility for their own welfare otherwise we would all suffer as the result of their ways.

That said, I understand that bad things happen to good people. Nevertheless, I can't allow those things to damage me. I can and do work with people to help them out, but for the sake of my own welfare I can't allow their problems to become my crisis.

I always considered certain issues in this life as if it is not good for others it sure is not good for me. Standard laws are not what the Supreme court generally rules own to my recollection. Laws and rules are not cut and dry for if they were there would not be as many court cases as there are contested. If it were not for empathy of others you would not have the freedom or the liberty to look simply after your own interest. The predators would have overcome all of the basic tenants of freedom long ago.

Someone else crisis is now yours like it or not. That comes with living in a society of humans. Social issues effect everyone from the bottom to the top and from the top to the bottom.

I always considered certain issues in this life as if it is not good for others it sure is not good for me. Standard laws are not what the Supreme court generally rules own to my recollection. Laws and rules are not cut and dry for if they were there would not be as many court cases as there are contested. If it were not for empathy of others you would not have the freedom or the liberty to look simply after your own interest. The predators would have overcome all of the basic tenants of freedom long ago.

Someone else crisis is now yours like it or not. That comes with living in a society of humans. Social issues effect everyone from the bottom to the top and from the top to the bottom.
Wow, okay. LOL!

care

no they are not. try again!

Remedial English class, perhaps?

Look, I'm sorry you slept through high school english, never went to college, and are apparently unfamiliar with shades of meanings of words in standard English.

Empathy isn't remotely "effeminate", and it is not the same as compassion, sympathy, or bias. I'm not your English teacher, so I'm not going to waste my time teaching the shades of meanings of standard english words.

I'm sure there are adult schools in your area that teach remedial english to illiterate adults.

Empathy is the one emotion that no other creature on the earth exibits.

It is an emotion that God only gave to humans.

We should use this gift whenever possible to bless others.

That is not true. Studies show some animal species feel empathy.

Forum List

Back