To Cut Taxes or NOT....that is the question...

Do you agree w/ the GOP that taxes need to be cut?

• Yes - I think the GOP position is absolutely right

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No - how can we cut taxes with 2-wars and a huge deficit?

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Yes - all we need to do is print more money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - to create jobs all we need to stop outsourcing jobs

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
☭proletarian☭;2010799 said:
:lol:

Elvis negged me again for once again asserting we need to cut spending

:lol:

No, you stupid fuck. I neg-repped you for being an asshole.

Right... that's why both of you started attacking me as soon as I said we need to cut spending.

Fuck off, statist.

We need to see a major tax increase for those making above the 500 K level. And a much smaller increase for those making above 65 K.

You cannot fight wars and rebuild a long neglected infrastructure simply by borrowing money. War is all outgo, no income. And failing to maintain an infrastructure means that potential businesses lack the basics to do business.

The Republicans proved for eight years that they were total fiscal screwballs, and nearly took this nation down into another Great Depression. Now the Democrats are proving themselves to be only slightly better.

No balls at all in the Democratic Party. Complete inability to state the reality of where we are fiscally and push for the neccessary tax increases.

Complete failure to push for tariffs on the goods of nations that do not follow similiar environmental rules that we and europe do. That do not have adaquete labor laws protecting their workers. That do not allow labor unions to operate freely.

Neither party at this point seems to have any connection with reality.

If your plan were workable E.Germany would be a powerhouse.
As it is, raising taxes on your most productive citizens discourages them from being productive. It reduces overall GDP growth. It encourages further deficit spending because there is no incentive among lawmakers to economize on any programs.
All of this has been tested before. Pace Toro, every time taxes have been raised in this country the deficit goes up, not down.
And raising taxes in a recession is way stupid.

but he wants our country to turn into East Germany.

Increasing taxes without reforming entitlement programs would be a great way to do that.

I keep hearing the GOP guys on TV whining about cutting taxes. With the deficit soaring is that really a good idea? Why isn't the battle about "cutting spending"?

Lets do a poll about cutting taxes. Then we can look at cutting spending in the next thread....

I voted no but would have voted yes if spending were cut first. We should never cut taxes unless there is a correlating cut to spending.

I guess that depends which is more likely to happen. Government will spend less or taxes will be cut. I'm not sure there would ever be a tax cut again if you went by your rule. The way I see it the only way our government is going to just maybe get the hint that they need to reign in spending is to simply not give them the money via tax cuts and every person in this country using every single tax loophole they can get away with.

The tax issue imo, needs to be looked at from a much broader perspective. Start from square one. Why does government collect taxes? It collects taxes to provide things to society it believes are necessary and beneficial. The practical reason it collects taxes is because the government doesn't produce anything it can garner revenue from. The ideological reason is because it provides benefits to you (i.e. maintained roadways) that you otherwise would have a difficult time providing on your own.

Our government is entrenched in a cycle where it literally needs to invent new taxes. And all the idiot citizenry can do is debate what taxes are fair or if it's fair to tax the rich more, etc. etc, which completely misses the point and is all just debate to mask the fact that our government refuses to live within its means. They shouldn't be trying to figure out how to collect more taxes, they should be trying to figure out how to collect fewer taxes.

Too much of the tax code is not about raising revenue, but about sticking it to folks you don't like. If folks actually discussed wanting more money, they would be talking lower taxes.

Obama's tax hike did nothing for revenue. (Which went down substantially this year) It is true that the economy tanked this year, but increased taxes didn't help.

Higher rates on lower activity don't bring in nearly as much as lower rates on more activity.

Obama didn't raise income taxes.

Edited to please the pedants.

Last edited:
Too much of the tax code is not about raising revenue, but about sticking it to folks you don't like. If folks actually discussed wanting more money, they would be talking lower taxes.

Obama's tax hike did nothing for revenue. (Which went down substantially this year) It is true that the economy tanked this year, but increased taxes didn't help.

Higher rates on lower activity don't bring in nearly as much as lower rates on more activity.

Obama didn't raise any taxes.

*BBBBZZZTTTT* wrong ....

"He might have well said, "Read my lips." Like a bad April Fools' Day joke, the federal excise tax on cigarettes increased April 1, 2009 by 156 percent (or 61 cents per pack). And this is a tax that everyone who smokes will pay, despite the fact that, according to the taxpayers' lobby Americans for Tax Reform, one in four smokers live below the poverty line and 55 percent of smokers can be defined as "working poor," which means they make something less than $250,000.00 per year."

Obama's Cigarette Tax Puts the Lie To His No New Taxes Pledge - Peter Roff (usnews.com)

Thanks for playing.

Wrong again. As per usual.
Obama Signs Federal Cigarette Tax Hike

Wrong again. As per usual.
Obama Signs Federal Cigarette Tax Hike

Ok, you're right.

He raised taxes on cigarettes.

He didn't raise anyone's income tax, which I think was my point.

Then say that.
Sloppy wording represents sloppy thinking.

No he has not raised income taxes. Yet. But he is not pushing to extend the Bush Tax cuts,which will expire. So that isn't much different.

Then say that.

No he has not raised income taxes. Yet. But he is not pushing to extend the Bush Tax cuts,which will expire. So that isn't much different.

Well, seeing as how the post I was responding to was talking about income taxes, I figured you'd be smart enough to realize what I was talking about.

And when that happens, that will be true. But until then, nope.

☭proletarian☭;2010901 said:
Right... that's why both of you started attacking me as soon as I said we need to cut spending.

Fuck off, statist.

You are nowhere near as important as you think you are. I made a comment on the OP and you just assumed I was responding to you.

So true to the axiom on assumption, you made ass(hole) of yourself

Then say that.

Well, seeing as how the post I was responding to was talking about income taxes, I figured you'd be smart enough to realize what I was talking about.

No, the post you responded to was not talking about income taxes. Please show where the words "income tax" appear in Baruch Menachem's post. He clearly said "Obama's tax increase". And there was one.
Don't blame others for your inattention to detail.

Then say that.

Spin, spin, spin ... just admit you didn't what the hell you were talking about Doc and leave it at that will ya.

If raising taxes is the answer come on Democrats raise everyones taxes. come on Barry raise them right now!!!! I know everyone would be so happy to pay more!!!!

Then say that.

Spin, spin, spin ... just admit you didn't what the hell you were talking about Doc and leave it at that will ya.

I guess it was more convenient to you to ignore the post in which I did admit my mistake, right?

I misread the post, and responded in kind. The thread is about income taxes, and I assumed that the post I was responding to was as well. Seeing as how its a bit of a streach claiming that the topic of this thread is the cigarette tax, I think it's a pretty easy mistake to make.

I realize the childish joy you get from being right and me being wrong, so revel in it. Enjoy it. Take all the pleasure you can.

Because people like you never make mistakes, right?

Oh wait. People like you just never admit their mistakes. (Actually, MIPS - I have no beef with you. My beef is with The Rabbi, who has a history of disappearing from threads as soon as he's been proven wrong).

Last edited:

I guess it was more convenient to you to ignore the post in which I did admit my mistake, right?

I saw it, then I saw that you subsequently tried to spin out of it....... :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back