shock

Rookie
Apr 9, 2009
TO CONCEIVE AND TO GIVE BIRTH TO A NEW PARTY
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Published on Tuesday, November 6, 2012 by

RobertReich.org
"We the People, and the New American Civil War
<!-- $authors is created within profiles/openpublishdroplits/modules/cd/theme_helpers/node-views_article.tpl.php -->
by Robert Reich

"The vitriol is worse is worse than I ever recall. Worse than the Palin-induced smarmy 2008. Worse than the swift-boat lies of 2004. Worse, even, than the anything-goes craziness of 2000 and its ensuing bitterness.

It’s almost a civil war. I know families in which close relatives are no longer speaking. A dating service says Democrats won’t even consider going out with Republicans, and vice-versa. My email and twitter feeds contain messages from strangers I wouldn’t share with my granddaughter.

***the degree of venom we’re experiencing has deeper roots.

The nation is becoming browner and blacker. Most children born in California are now minorities. In a few years America as a whole will be a majority of minorities. Meanwhile, women have been gaining economic power. Their median wage hasn’t yet caught up with men, but it’s getting close. And with more women getting college degrees than men, their pay will surely exceed male pay in a few years. At the same time, men without college degrees continue to lose economic ground. Adjusted for inflation, their median wage is lower than it was three decades ago.

In other words, white working-class men have been on the losing end of a huge demographic and economic shift. That’s made them a tinder-box of frustration and anger – eagerly ignited by Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, and other pedlars of petulance, including an increasing number of Republicans who have gained political power by fanning the flames.

That hate-mongering and attendant scapegoating – of immigrants, blacks, gays, women seeking abortions, our government itself – has legitimized some vitriol and scapegoating on the left as well. I detest what the Koch Brothers, Karl Rove, Grover Norquist, Rupert Murdock, and Paul Ryan are doing, and I hate their politics. But in this heated environment I sometimes have to remind myself I don’t hate them personally.

***"
==========================================================

I am old enough to have vivid memories of the '29 depression
that include not just hungry but also starving people,
and not just deprived children but also children suffering from rickets, pellagra and granulated eyelids,
many of whom had no shoes
and some of whom walked to school barefoot in warm weather
and in boots made of inner tubes in the cold.

Had it not been for the Roosevelt New Deal we might have turned upon ourselves and destroyed each other and the country as well.

Today's Americans will act to create some minor and incomplete changes before that happens. But without a plan and a party to support and to stand for that plan
chaos will reign for two or three generations before order will prevail again.

We must form a new, progressive, plan-based third party,
and demonstrating and occupying are but first steps on the road leading to the creation of such a party.

But where are those who could and who would create the plan,
and where are those who would have the understanding and the desire and the will to put the plan to the test?

SHOCKLEY

shock, I wish you would provide actual links and use the quote function to separate what someone else said from your own comments.

Like this: Election 2012: A house divided - CSMonitor.com

The vitriol is worse is worse than I ever recall. Worse than the Palin-induced smarmy 2008. Worse than the swift-boat lies of 2004. Worse, even, than the anything-goes craziness of 2000 and its ensuing bitterness.

It&#8217;s almost a civil war. I know families in which close relatives are no longer speaking. A dating service says Democrats won&#8217;t even consider going out with Republicans, and vice-versa. My email and twitter feeds contain messages from strangers I wouldn&#8217;t share with my granddaughter.

But I think the degree of venom we&#8217;re experiencing has deeper roots.

The nation is becoming browner and blacker. Most children born in California are now minorities. In a few years America as a whole will be a majority of minorities. Meanwhile, women have been gaining economic power. Their median wage hasn&#8217;t yet caught up with men, but it&#8217;s getting close. And with more women getting college degrees than men, their pay will surely exceed male pay in a few years. At the same time, men without college degrees continue to lose economic ground. Adjusted for inflation, their median wage is lower than it was three decades ago.

In other words, white working-class men have been on the losing end of a huge demographic and economic shift. That&#8217;s made them a tinder-box of frustration and anger &#8211; eagerly ignited by Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, and other pedlars of petulance, including an increasing number of Republicans who have gained political power by fanning the flames.

That hate-mongering and attendant scapegoating &#8211; of immigrants, blacks, gays, women seeking abortions, our government itself &#8211; has legitimized some vitriol and scapegoating on the left as well. I detest what the Koch Brothers, Karl Rove, Grover Norquist, Rupert Murdock, and Paul Ryan are doing, and I hate their politics. But in this heated environment I sometimes have to remind myself I don&#8217;t hate them personally.

Those are Robert Reich's comments.

I have a couple problems with your comments, and his.

First, Reich is notoriously far left wing. I remember him well from when he was Clinton's Labor Secretary.

Second, everything you quoted was an attack on the right wing, so how does that support the idea our country needs another Progressive party?

I wholeheartedly agree our country needs a new party. Just not a progressive one. The progressives have the Democratic Party, and they can keep it. The right wingnuts have taken over the GOP, and they can keep that.

We need a new moderate party, and I believe the country is ripe for one. I think we are very close to the tipping point.

We need sane people to take back the conversation.

Last edited:
Vitriol? Im not seeing it in my polling area. We have been getting along great with the Democrats there. We are just people out to serve our country today. It warms my heart that we are all this civil.

• Banned
shock, I wish you would provide actual links and use the quote function to separate what someone else said from your own comments.

Like this: Election 2012: A house divided - CSMonitor.com

g5000
==============================================================

Thank you for your courteous remark and requests.

I'm not sure I understand what it is I need to do. As shown below, I intended to and believe I did
terminate Reich's statement with ***",
the period showing the end of the sentence, *** showing that I did not continue setting forth his statement en toto, and the quotation mark marking the ending of the quoted text. If I erred, please help me.
==================================================================
But in this heated environment I sometimes have to remind myself I don’t hate them personally.
***"==================================================

I thought the information appearing at the beginning was a link and if it was not I apologize.
Reich, however, givec carte blanche to the use of his material; so I hope I did not violate copyright laws.

In any case, I wish to comply with what is right as well as what is required and since I do have trouble finding links, please tell me how I might find the links.

Shockley

Forum List

Back