To Christians: What do you think the point of praying is?

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
To Christians: What do you think the point of praying is?

I'll add my .02cents later...

Well I can only tell you why I pray, and that would be for a few reasons, the release and comfort of unburdening myself, the hope of clearing my mind and to receive enligthenment to make the right choices, to avoid sin as much as possible and also to recognize sin for what it is, I see prayer as my coat of armour of protection. Lastly but not least I pray for forgiveness when I fail, and direct intervention when I'm really in trouble.

What's the point of spending time with ANYONE? It's how you have a relationship, and a relationship with God is no different.

Of course, God can offer several side benefits that you can't get in a relationship with others. :) For instance, connecting you to your place in the Plan for the Universe, refreshing your soul, using your requests for action in the world. Good stuff.

Okay.. I guess no one else is biting.... here goes...

Do Christians really think that God is just sitting up there twidling his thumbs waiting to act on our behalf only if we pray? Or do you believe he's a proactive God who runs his Universe with our without our prayers to him?

It seems to me that so many Christians only pray to God to ask him somehow to intervene on their behalf which will somehow always benefit the person praying - e.g. selfish motives...

Okay.. I guess no one else is biting.... here goes...

Do Christians really think that God is just sitting up there twidling his thumbs waiting to act on our behalf only if we pray? Or do you believe he's a proactive God who runs his Universe with our without our prayers to him?

It seems to me that so many Christians only pray to God to ask him somehow to intervene on their behalf which will somehow always benefit the person praying - e.g. selfish motives...

I pray a lot for others, but my name is at the top of my prayer list. Face it, I NEED a lot; God doesn't need anything. But He WANTS us. :)

God can and will carry out His plans with or without me. But I am the one who misses out if I don't carry out the job He sets before me. I think God DOES wait on us, give us a chance to act (by praying) in the Grand Scheme. I think God is weaving His plan for the Universe. If one thread breaks, He CAN use another, but it's the thread that misses out on being a part of the tapestry.

I do so to recieve counsel and guidence from the Lord and to thank him for the blessings in my life.

And to answer your question I think God tends to take a hands off approach. I mean He is proactive in that He is always arranging things in our path knowing what we will end up choosing. But He wants us to be active. He doesnt want to have to tell us everything to do. We have to learn to use the gifts He has given us and go to Him to ask for help as well. Its when we do what we can and all thats left is to trust in Him that we see alot of His greatest power.

I pray to keep a connection with my God. I pray for others. I pray for forgiveness, blessings, and thanks.

I pray that I can live my life like Jesus did accepting others so they might come to know God, through His way, not mine.

Anyone of any other faith can feel free to start a thread asking their own fellow faithful why they pray.

And get this- I'm willing to bet that Cp won't post there complaining about how non-inclusive you are acting.

Forum List

Back