To Buy or not to Buy FB stock????

At such a young age take a good hard look at The Vanguard family of funds. Overall performance is not superstar but on the whole have proved safe and reliable. Strongest favourable is that their fees are minuscule. Over the number of years you have ahead to see money grow the seemingly slight difference in fees can amount to tens or hundreds of thousands in end results. Assuming, of course, you start a regular (dollar cost averaging) program and stay with it paying no attention to temporary market ups and downs.

Last edited:
I would not buy FB stock because I find their business model to be repugnant.

The real question is what is your investment goal? If you are looking to save and invest for the long term, there are a lot of no load Vanguard funds that are quite well managed.

What exactly is so repugnant about their business model? I personally hate facebook as a platform, can't sand Zuckerberg, so I'd never buy their stock either. But their business model seems fine....selling adspace. I really don't see anything wrong with that model, it's perfectly acceptable for a tech/media company. It's what they all do. But I am curious to hear your reasoning.

I know Jim Cramer owns FB in his charitable portfolio...and he's a smart guy. But I know that people are leaving facebook, and it's really just a matter of time before it becomes the next myspace. People are very fickle and no social network can last forever. There are much better companies out there with much better moats to invest in. If I were buying a tech stock, I'd go amazon over FB.

Amazon is a retailer, FB is a low content media company why do you consider comparable simply because they started on line?

Amazon sells products to people. FB sells people as products to advertisers.

Ah. I see what you're saying, and I agree. Facebook has been able to monetize people, which is kind of an amazing (yet repugnant) accomplishment.

It's repugnant, but not amazing at all. Authoritarians and power mongers have exploited people for millennia.

At such a young age take a good hard look at The Vanguard family of funds. Overall performance is not superstar but on the whole have proved safe and reliable. Strongest favourable is that their fees are miniscume. Over the number of years you have ahead to see money grow the seemingly slight difference in fees can amount to tens or hundreds of thousands in end results. Assuming, of course, you start a regular (dollar cost averaging) program and stay with it paying no attention to temporary market ups and downs.

Agreed. Vanguard has a wide variety of funds suitable for various ages, investment goals, and risk profiles...and the lack of big fees is quite compelling. I've had my account for a little over 10 years, and am very happy with it.

I would not buy FB stock because I find their business model to be repugnant.

The real question is what is your investment goal? If you are looking to save and invest for the long term, there are a lot of no load Vanguard funds that are quite well managed.

What exactly is so repugnant about their business model? I personally hate facebook as a platform, can't sand Zuckerberg, so I'd never buy their stock either. But their business model seems fine....selling adspace. I really don't see anything wrong with that model, it's perfectly acceptable for a tech/media company. It's what they all do. But I am curious to hear your reasoning.

I know Jim Cramer owns FB in his charitable portfolio...and he's a smart guy. But I know that people are leaving facebook, and it's really just a matter of time before it becomes the next myspace. People are very fickle and no social network can last forever. There are much better companies out there with much better moats to invest in. If I were buying a tech stock, I'd go amazon over FB.

Amazon is a retailer, FB is a low content media company why do you consider comparable simply because they started on line?

Ah. I see what you're saying, and I agree. Facebook has been able to monetize people, which is kind of an amazing (yet repugnant) accomplishment.

It's repugnant, but not amazing at all. Authoritarians and power mongers have exploited people for millennia.

Amazing in the sense that they've managed to convince people to allow themselves to be the "content creators" that enables FB to turn a profit. Amazing that FB has been able to convince people to voluntarily give up huge chunks of their privacy for a for profit business. Amazing that FB has been able to convince other companies to build their business on another man's land. I am constantly amazed at what FB has been able to accomplish, how they've been able to twist the meaning of 'privacy' and convince people to surrender it in the name of FB's mission of making the world a more 'open' place. I'm amazed at how far their reach extends, how it's permeated into the consciousness of virtually everyone, become an addiction for many, and spread very much like a virus.

That kind of amazing. ;)

Me, I will continue to speculate with covered options on high flyers like HRML, CAG and BMS. It's just the way I roll.

Well i am turning 18 and looking to forward to invest to stock market and the amount of information that i have came across is impeccable and unbelievable. I am huge fan of tech stocks and by looking at the tech stocks i look at Facebook and twitter and looking forward to invest in FB stocks,but the recent scenario has left me in complete haze whether to go for it not.Facebook is just starting to find a way to leverage its other products, including Instagram, Whats App, and its own Messenger. These assets are predicted to help the company’s stock prices, only when Facebook monetizes them.

I hope the scenario changes that will help the economy and help me in a great deal.

Source: FB Stocks

I won a fortune in the stock market and never put my money where all the money is headed. If everyone is buying FB then I would never consider buying that stock because it is at the top of the market. Buy low and sell high and a fortune can be made in penny stocks but watch out for "pump and dump". I never went to college or read stock market for dummies.

Well i am turning 18 and looking to forward to invest to stock market and the amount of information that i have came across is impeccable and unbelievable. I am huge fan of tech stocks and by looking at the tech stocks i look at Facebook and twitter and looking forward to invest in FB stocks,but the recent scenario has left me in complete haze whether to go for it not.Facebook is just starting to find a way to leverage its other products, including Instagram, Whats App, and its own Messenger. These assets are predicted to help the company’s stock prices, only when Facebook monetizes them.

I hope the scenario changes that will help the economy and help me in a great deal.

Source: FB Stocks

I won a fortune in the stock market and never put my money where all the money is headed. If everyone is buying FB then I would never consider buying that stock because it is at the top of the market. Buy low and sell high and a fortune can be made in penny stocks but watch out for "pump and dump". I never went to college or read stock market for dummies.

Claims like yours are a dime a dozen,buy low sell high can't imagine why everyone doesn't do that what brilliant advice and so original.penny stocks,yeah right thats like trying to make something out of almost nothing,average rate of success about 1%. Care to back up your fantasy with some stock symbols with dates of bought and sold,I won't hold my breath.Investing is 80% knowledge and 20% timing and luck,gambling is 80% luck and 20%skill.

I started with individual stocks and a broker, but eventually didn't like the broker because his recommendations clashed with my interests and what I wanted to buy. Afterward, I moved to Charles Schwab and managed my own account. Next, I found Bob Brinker and followed his advice on no-load mutual funds. I think his newsletter and listening to him is a great way to start, i.e. build up a foundation and knowledge base first. Once, you start to make more money, then you can do the riskier/more reward trades like some of those in the hi-tech industry.

Amazing in the sense that they've managed to convince people to allow themselves to be the "content creators" that enables FB to turn a profit. Amazing that FB has been able to convince people to voluntarily give up huge chunks of their privacy for a for profit business. Amazing that FB has been able to convince other companies to build their business on another man's land. I am constantly amazed at what FB has been able to accomplish, how they've been able to twist the meaning of 'privacy' and convince people to surrender it in the name of FB's mission of making the world a more 'open' place. I'm amazed at how far their reach extends, how it's permeated into the consciousness of virtually everyone, become an addiction for many, and spread very much like a virus.

That kind of amazing. ;)

It IS amazing the lengths they go through to get this info. We read these scandalous stories about FB and other social media in the news, but the internet isn't exactly a safe haven and now with mobile devices where do people keep their private information? Hard drives you have to physically destroy to make sure the data is gone. I'm more of a Twitter user than FB.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back