to all

To perhaps add to the intrigue, this is where I am at.....................

wshdatlantic.jpg

Huntington? Really? I used to live in S. Huntington.

Im actually in Northport......as you know, just two towns east but it is the Town of Huntington.

By the PM, if you didnt have batteries, you're out of luck. Gone.

I'll be pissed if NASCAR is rained out in Martinsville, Va tomorrow.

I was just thinking that Old Rocks would be jumping on this... That's how predictable you are..

Little premature to be panicking don'tcha think? I grew up in Florida and went thru many storms. That weak tropical storm is gonna start falling apart north of the Carolinas. Just like the last time the remnants of a hurricane threatened the NorthEast..

But carry on.. Do your duty and I add my hopes that everyone stays safe and prepared..

How many posts before OldieRocks blames this on CO2??? Place your bets...

This storm looks like a once in a lifetime event. At least let us hope that is the case.

I'm SURE you're hoping for some action... Some massive destruction and insurance claims to tally up against the "deniers".. Or was that just ackward phrasing??

You, sir, are a horse's ass.

Old Rocks:

You be safe, too. (Are there any dangers in Oregon?)

I disagree with almost everything you say politically, but you got this one right. A once in a lifetime danger like this transcends political yakking.

Once in a great while we get a super storm.

Columbus Day Storm still howls through Portland history, 50 years later | OregonLive.com

Our biggest danger is the inevitable subduction quake. The are usually measured in the high 8's and low 9's on the Richter scale.

To perhaps add to the intrigue, this is where I am at.....................

wshdatlantic.jpg

Im actually in Northport......as you know, just two towns east but it is the Town of Huntington.

Hi Steve. Well, make sure you and the family are safe. That storm is looking more dangerous with every passing hour. Just finished a six day down, twelve hours a day, except the two days that I am in school. Then just 8 hours after classes.

And for the many others here that are in the storms path, take all the neccessary precautions. This storm looks to make history.

My kids are all in CT, about 1/4 mile off LI Sound. The 2 sons are no more than 6 feet over mean high tide. My daughter might be 8 or 9 feet over MHT.

Hi Steve. Well, make sure you and the family are safe. That storm is looking more dangerous with every passing hour. Just finished a six day down, twelve hours a day, except the two days that I am in school. Then just 8 hours after classes.

And for the many others here that are in the storms path, take all the neccessary precautions. This storm looks to make history.

Ray.......Im 100% certain you should have been a meteorologist!!!

Pretty steady 40 mph winds right now here on Long Island...........and the dang storm is still hundreds of miles away!!! No rain yet though. Things really look to go downhill startng around 3pm today............

Old Rocks:

You be safe, too. (Are there any dangers in Oregon?)

I disagree with almost everything you say politically, but you got this one right. A once in a lifetime danger like this transcends political yakking.

Once in a great while we get a super storm.

Columbus Day Storm still howls through Portland history, 50 years later | OregonLive.com

Our biggest danger is the inevitable subduction quake. The are usually measured in the high 8's and low 9's on the Richter scale.

Would`nt You know it, just a few days ago the BC Charlotte Islands got rocked by a 7.3 followed by all day long after shocks in the 5 to 6 range.
Vancouver was lucky again.
Regarding emergency preparedness,...where I live there isn`t too much to worry about, but since I got 3 little boys under my care, as You may guess You have to be prepared for anything. You never know what they`ll do next. The biggest threat here are grass fires that get out of control. Around here idiots who are too lazy to cut their grass light these and then the wind picks up. Next thing there is a wall of fire and flying embers coming towards Your house.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUONESdSQfE&feature=youtu.be"]Long Plain`s finest - YouTube[/ame]

A quite popular Indian comedian (Don Burnstick) nailed it...one of his lines is.."After I burned my grass I found that car I reported stolen last year"
So I also have a brief case packed with all my essential papers, passport etc. which I can grab quickly if we have to evacuate...screw the rest of the material stuff, nothing is more important that getting my wife & kids out of harm`s way.

While we lived in the Yukon we had to keep certain essentials (especially spare gas !!) in our van anyway because You never know when You get trapped in a blizzard while on the road. I got a "song bird" travel trailer which I always keep stocked and it`s our way out if need be. It takes only minutes to hook up and go.
Aside from water, food etc the other thing to keep on hand is spare gas.
I found that out the hard way when I almost got stuck in Montreal when their power was out for a couple of days and the gas station pumps did notwork either . Just lucky I had a VW Diesel "Rabbit" in those days and it got me out of town far enough so that I could wait it out at a lake and pass the time fishing trout. That`s when I realized how horrible food tastes no matter how hungry You are if You forgot the salt.
But no way would I rely on a Government shelter and put my wife & kids in one of those.

Grass fires are far more dangerous than most people realize. This year, south of Burns, in Malhuer county, we have a fire that burned over 800 square miles. Many of the ranchers there lost up to a third of their herds. One rancher stated that he had a fire many years ago that burned across his ranch in 4 days, and they had to move the cattle out of the way of the fire. This year, it burned across his ranch in 4 hours, and they had their hands full saving buildings. No chance at all to save cattle that were in the way.

There are a lot of people that buy land in the Burns area, because it is very cheap. Then they move a pre-fab home onto it, and have a nice home for retirement, with good fishing and hunting all around them. But all too many of them do not bother to cut the sagebrush back from the house. A sage and grass fire is very, very hot, and you are probably familiar with the winds in that area. They should have the sage cut back at least 100 ft from the house.

We often travel in Eastern Oregon during the winter. We have a tent, camp stove, fuel,coffee, food, extra clothing, sleeping bags and blankets, and an air mattress in the car. Storms can come up very quickly, and completely stop you wherever you are at. Doesn't happen very often, but it only has to happen once if you are unprepared.

Here are some pictures from the Longdraw Fire;

Long Draw fire devastates land, cattle and way of life for Eastern Oregon ranchers (photo essay) | OregonLive.com

Yeah, good advice, ...."keep yourself and your family safe".... Duh. Better advice... think out of the government box. Get a generator and rotate a supply of gasoline. Defend yourself by observing state, local and federal regulations concerning firearms. Behave independently and stop blaming the weather on American decadence.

Cleanup finally done in my yard......branches stacked up about 4 feet high in front of everybody's house. Pretty much all secondary roads are now lined with debris that must be removed by town municipalities. Gas lines finally gone THE day after the dumbass governor FINALLY went to odd even days......what a dope.....could have done it a week earlier. Things finally starting to get back to normal around here for most, except those near the shoreline who are still without power and still sufferring.

Driving up to Connecticut this weekend on one of the major parkways, there was a major section about a mile in length with giant logs stacked 10 feet high right along the highway. Just astounding.......keep seeing the destruction of this storm and never stop being amazed. For example, Ocean Parkway is a two lane parkway that runs along the Atlantic for miles and miles.....separated from the ocean by a about a 50 foot wide collection of dunes that are 10 to 15 feet high. Those dunes? GONE. The parkway has also been washed away completely in some sections....I have been driving along this parkway for 35 years.

What we talk about here these days is the weather guys talking about us being overdue for a Cat 4 or Cat 5 storm hitting this area. This one was Cat 1 with some gusts between 90-100.......the thought of the devestation that would bring is highly sobering.

Cleanup finally done in my yard......branches stacked up about 4 feet high in front of everybody's house. Pretty much all secondary roads are now lined with debris that must be removed by town municipalities. Gas lines finally gone THE day after the dumbass governor FINALLY went to odd even days......what a dope.....could have done it a week earlier. Things finally starting to get back to normal around here for most, except those near the shoreline who are still without power and still sufferring.

Driving up to Connecticut this weekend on one of the major parkways, there was a major section about a mile in length with giant logs stacked 10 feet high right along the highway. Just astounding.......keep seeing the destruction of this storm and never stop being amazed. For example, Ocean Parkway is a two lane parkway that runs along the Atlantic for miles and miles.....separated from the ocean by a about a 50 foot wide collection of dunes that are 10 to 15 feet high. Those dunes? GONE. The parkway has also been washed away completely in some sections....I have been driving along this parkway for 35 years.

What we talk about here these days is the weather guys talking about us being overdue for a Cat 4 or Cat 5 storm hitting this area. This one was Cat 1 with some gusts between 90-100.......the thought of the devestation that would bring is highly sobering.

You've been busy.. The issue should be preparedness. The question should be asked what was done by the local govts and utilities to prepare for that CAT 1.. And when they shrug that off -- then ask what they are gonna do to prepare for a CAT 2. Maybe Bloomberg should ease up on big gulps and cigars and start focusing a bit more on survival..

When you are talking of preperations for a major disaster, you are talking a lot of money. Money that can be raised in only one way at the state and local levels. Taxes. That will not fly. Sometimes, even when you take even the most basic steps, such as a tsunami warning system on the Oregon coast, the local mayors find it too much of a bother to do routine testing.

Right now there is talk of doing some prevention work. But, in a year, the talk will be why should we pay this extra tax? And, unless there is another major storm in the next five years, little will be done. You have had two major storms in two years. Yet, mark my words, there will be little done in preperation for the next inevitable storm.

Forum List

Back