To all those who believe rights come from the state

I know some of you don't like God-given rights and I accept that but if someone believes that their rights come from God does that interfere with your right to believe they come from the state? I'm willing to accept that you believe that for yourself but can't others believe differently? Do they not have the right to claim that part of their humanity for themselves?

Is it a God-given right to bear arms?

Do you believe we have any rights that are God/creator given?

I know some of you don't like God-given rights and I accept that but if someone believes that their rights come from God does that interfere with your right to believe they come from the state? I'm willing to accept that you believe that for yourself but can't others believe differently? Do they not have the right to claim that part of their humanity for themselves?

to die?

The right to breathe oxygen...which is infringed upon by others who are acting on their man-given right to smoke.

The right to forage for food...which is infringed upon by others who are acting on their man-given right to own land.

All of our rights are given to us by man.

God has given no person, at any time, any of their rights. No rights are given from a Monotheistic God Head Figure. God has nothing to do with it.

I'm actually OK with you believing that for yourself and not inhibiting you from accepting that restriction on you but just saying that others have the right to believe otherwise. From there we can go on our separate journies throughout life. That is all I am really asking for in this thread.

Last edited:

It isn't a matter of belief. It's not liek someone believes that Jesus is the messiah and I disagree and we can all respect each other.
It is demonstrable that rights do not come from god. It is demonstrable that individuals have no rigths that cannot be taken away from them.
So rights must come from somewhere else. In fact rights come from society as a whole. Government simply annunciates those rights and enforces them.

If my neighbor decides that I don't have the right to speak does that mean I lose that right?

It isn't a matter of belief. It's not liek someone believes that Jesus is the messiah and I disagree and we can all respect each other.
It is demonstrable that rights do not come from god. It is demonstrable that individuals have no rigths that cannot be taken away from them.
So rights must come from somewhere else. In fact rights come from society as a whole. Government simply annunciates those rights and enforces them.

If my neighbor decides that I don't have the right to speak does that mean I lose that right?
No, because rights don't come from your neighbor.
If society in general decides you don't then you don't. For example you have no right to threaten the President's life. Where is that written? I dunno. But it is a crime and anyone doing it will be investigated. This will be upheld in the courts. All of it because society in general deems threatening the president a criminal act.

Rights are granted by the state. Too believe otherwise is to deny reality.

You are free to believe that but if someone else believes differently then they are equally free to believe that as well. Afterall, what we believe is a part of the right of freedom of speech since speech can't be created without thought.

No, because rights don't come from your neighbor.
If society in general decides you don't then you don't. For example you have no right to threaten the President's life. Where is that written? I dunno. But it is a crime and anyone doing it will be investigated. This will be upheld in the courts. All of it because society in general deems threatening the president a criminal act.

Yes but did the government create the impulse in you to buy a gun? All those came from your humanity and whatever created that so government does not create your pursuit of happiness.

if you live by yourself off in the middle of no where your rights are whatever you want them to be granted by whomever or whatever you believe created you....

add more people to that mix and and your rights are whatever you can defend or accept....or tollerate ....

Natural rights are rights that were not given, and cannot be take away. The founders defined what constitutions 'natural rights' in the United States, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. (Note: nothing in there about healthcare, etc)

Legal rights are those based on laws, customs, statutes or by legislation. For instance, the right to vote has been legislated. These rights are also called civil or statutory rights.

Natural rights are rights that were not given, and cannot be take away. The founders defined what constitutions 'natural rights' in the United States, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. (Note: nothing in there about healthcare, etc)

Legal rights are those based on laws, customs, statutes or by legislation. For instance, the right to vote has been legislated. These rights are also called civil or statutory rights.

Do natural rights exist outside of society? Aren't rights just philosophical constructs?

The right to breathe oxygen...which is infringed upon by others who are acting on their man-given right to smoke.

The right to forage for food...which is infringed upon by others who are acting on their man-given right to own land.

All of our rights are given to us by man.

How did we arrive to what other can do? Somewhere there was an original person that created a right and decided to allow others the same right. No matter how you break it down that idea came from that original person without any impulse from others since that right was his creation. This means that rights do not come from others but are self-creations of the individual.

It seem rather unfair that this first person can create a right and then deny that same ability to everyone else around him since anyone who dares to create a right must first be subject that right to the approval of others. He had to get permission while the first person did not. This does not seem like a state of freedom but a dictatorship where the people in power decide what rights the person has and not the person themselves.

You are free to believe that but if someone else believes differently then they are equally free to believe that as well. Afterall, what we believe is a part of the right of freedom of speech since speech can't be created without thought.

Yes but you're also free to believe you yourself are a god. You'd be wrong, but you're still free to believe it.

Do natural rights exist outside of society? Aren't rights just philosophical constructs?

Fuck off Dante. You know I don't bother replying to your constant whining.

Most of our existence is a philosophical construct and that does not make our existence less real.

Yes but you're also free to believe you yourself are a god. You'd be wrong, but you're still free to believe it.

That is all I am asking for.

That is all I am asking for.

Yes you have the right to believe that rights flow from God, or Santa, or the Tooth Fairy. But since none of these figures speak to humans, we can't interpret which rights they give us. We must rely on society to dictate what is or isn't a "Right."

Forum List

Back