To 4s or not to 4s

To iphone 4s or not to iphone 4s that is the question!! Okay folks, yes I have an iphone 4 and have been constantly bothered by my cell phone company to upgrade. I have done quite a bit of looking at the 4s and have come to the conclusion that its faster, and has this feature called Siri which, knowing my habits, I would use for a week then forget it was there, LOL. So that leave's speed and nice camera. Oh and a college age daughter looking over my shoulder wanting my iphone!!. So frankly, I'm of the opinion it might be better if I waited on the next one, as this one doesn't seem to offer me much. However on the plus side the upgrade is cheap.

Switch to Android. :)

To iphone 4s or not to iphone 4s that is the question!! Okay folks, yes I have an iphone 4 and have been constantly bothered by my cell phone company to upgrade. I have done quite a bit of looking at the 4s and have come to the conclusion that its faster, and has this feature called Siri which, knowing my habits, I would use for a week then forget it was there, LOL. So that leave's speed and nice camera. Oh and a college age daughter looking over my shoulder wanting my iphone!!. So frankly, I'm of the opinion it might be better if I waited on the next one, as this one doesn't seem to offer me much. However on the plus side the upgrade is cheap.

Cuyo, funny you should mention that, I got this iPhone, last year as a Christmas present and just set it up and put my old one in the drawer which was a Motorola Android one. I would actually love to know about the Bionic, but as have not heard from anyone who owns one of those things, I would hesitate to even change in that direction. If you have not noticed. am not one of those who kneels at the alter of Apple, I just like the ease of use on the phone and to be quite honest, I am very impressed with its engineering. It could have a rock symbol on the back for all I care *laughs*

There are lot of reasons why almost all of our electronics as well as most other products are manufactured abroad. Taxes and regulations are part of the problem, but the biggest problem is wage differential. With Chinese wages at .57/hour, South Korean at $2.75, Mexico at $3.50, and the US at $19/hr it's pretty obvious why manufacturing is dying in the US.

There is a huge difference between trying to buy American where possible and supporting companies that knowingly allow their products to be built in factories in countries that have appalling human rights records. So, I won't be buying Apple products - and I try very hard not to buy from any company that has its factories in China.

I have this thing about ethical behavior. It's just me.

On that note Cali, here's a little info I thought you might find helpful.

Foxconn makes consumer electronics for a number of well-known companies, including:
Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
Amazon.com (United States)[16]
Apple Inc. (United States)[17]
ASRock (Taiwan)
Intel (United States)
Cisco (United States)
Hewlett-Packard (United States)[18]
Dell (United States)
Nintendo (Japan)
Nokia (Finland)[17]
Microsoft (United States)
MSI (Taiwan)
Motorola (United States)
Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)[19]
Vizio (United States)
Foxconn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm aware. I didn't say it was easy, nor did I say I always succeed. But I won't knowingly buy produces from companies who are unethical. Makes life a tad hard sometimes, and sometimes I have no option but to compromise... but I try not to make a habit of it. And I certainly won't fall for the 'upgrade' hype. All it does is clutter the environment.

Hehe I hear you. I tend to try to avoid buying from areas/countries/companies I am against for some reason or another. But it is hard as hell, especially with cross border ownership and so on. For example, I have no problem watching Sky News despite it being partly Newscorp owned because I know the English media laws protect consumers like me from Rupert Murdoch's political ambitions.. but I refuse to buy his newspapers (which sucks since I loved the Wall Street Journal) or even pay for his pay subscription TV.. rather steal his programs off the net!

As for upgrade cycle.. I agree.. this PC I am on is an E7300 Intel which in computer terms is at least 3 years old tech and ancient.. but I refuse to upgrade just for the hell of it. When this PC really starts to lag behind then I will upgrade.. maybe in a year or two :) The ironic thing is.. I am in the computer business lol.

Cuyo, funny you should mention that, I got this iPhone, last year as a Christmas present and just set it up and put my old one in the drawer which was a Motorola Android one. I would actually love to know about the Bionic, but as have not heard from anyone who owns one of those things, I would hesitate to even change in that direction. If you have not noticed. am not one of those who kneels at the alter of Apple, I just like the ease of use on the phone and to be quite honest, I am very impressed with its engineering. It could have a rock symbol on the back for all I care *laughs*

The original Droid was kinda clunky, I'll give ya that. I had one, then the 2, now the 3; The 2 was a huge leap forward from the original (plus the first with Flash support) and I am just lovin' the 3 so far.

As to the iPhone, ahh what the hell, I'll just be honest: I don't know if it's a good device or not. The thought having someone else's Apple product in my home makes me physically ill, let alone actually owning one.

But that's not because I think they're bad devices; I have no idea. It's because of the arrogance and narcissism they display as a company.

But I'm aware that not everybody shares my views on the subject. :tongue:

Pretty much decided on keeping the phone I have now, all of you make good points and it just doesn't make good sense to upgrade to something that to me at least is basically the same phone with a little extra sugar added.

Time to Man Up and give your phone to your Daughter. :D

Get something for yourself more compatible with your needs. :) ;)

I had the chance to look at the Bionic this morning and can tell you its very impressive, the only problem there is everytime my cell phone company tells me I have coverage it's a big guessing game. So then the question becomes, is the 4G really that much of a leap than 3G. or does it switch back to 3G and I end up with this nice phone, that bascially does the same thing? Intense, trust me I have no problem giving the phone to the kid, my problem is what to replace it with, and can tell you, so far the 4s doesn't look all that much different than what I have now, so would be pretty much like buying the same phone. So if I'm going to upgrade I at least want it to feel like I upgraded. you know, LOL

I'm thinking of purchasing an I phone for the first time and have read about the voice recognition in the 4s. How good is it? I purchased a car last year with voice recognition in the gps. When I enter an address, I find myself repeating the information over and over and often end up screaming at the damn thing. I can just picture myself walking down the street screaming at my cell phone.

I'm thinking of purchasing an I phone for the first time and have read about the voice recognition in the 4s. How good is it? I purchased a car last year with voice recognition in the gps. When I enter an address, I find myself repeating the information over and over and often end up screaming at the damn thing. I can just picture myself walking down the street screaming at my cell phone.

LOL, had the same image myself Flopper, I'm told by others it's a nice feature of the phone, but from what I gather from others, it never shuts itself off, so it eats the battery up quite a bit.

Nothing new in Siri really... other phones have had something similar for ages. Hell your windows PC has been able to do it for a long time.

The "new" thing about Siri is that you dont have to use specific commands and it is some what intelligent. So instead of say "Open calender" you say remind me of bla bla on XX date. Cool yea, but useful? not really with an exception when you are driving. .. but then again you should not be fiddling with your phone or anything else while driving... Also it requires an internet connection for one, and eats battery.

Ironically Android has gotten their own "Siri".. Iris.. in its alpha stage,.. took 8 hours to get much of the same functionality as Siri according to the devs... started on Friday.

I have the IPhone 4s. My first IPhone. I switched from an Epic 4g.

Since you already have the IPhone 4, I would suggest upgrading to IOS5, and stay with what you have for now. If you don't take a lot of pictures with your phone, the new 8mb camera on the 4s isn't a factor for you. As to Siri, it is nice. I use it a lot. But, if I already had the 4, Siri in and of itself, would not be a motivating factor for me to upgrade.

As to price, the 4s is $199.00, whether you buy from Apple, Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon (with a contract).

I haven't had any dropped call, missed texts etc. Battery life has been solid, once I got passed the first couple days of use. I also like the fact that I can print from my phone when I need to. I don't have a big need, but it has come in handy at times.

Forum List

Back