TN first state to make community colleges tuition free,

They just raised gas tax while lowering grocery tax and income from stocks.
I haven't heard anything about this though
That must take a load off your mind, knowing your kids can go to college tuition free.
Well it's not free.
I wonder how they are going to pay for this after the first two years? I saw they have 9M budgeted. But what about after that? Is there an age cut off or am I going to be paying for 60 year olds going to community college? Is trade school involved, or is it just community college?
I have questions about things like this. Knee jerking don't do any good ;)
Also, we have had free college this just extends it to adults

well dear here people over a certain age....65 i think can take courses at the local community college for free or reduced rates....

why are you against education?

trade schools should be included....cause many asso. degrees are just that ......but in higher toned shit...cnas
phlebotomist etc and so forth....they dont intend on going to more than the two years

I agree with most of you. Free is not good when it comes to education , we need to do something to cut down on college costs and books. I am amazed when kids graduate from high school and have no idea what they want to be, its one thing to change majors, but another to not even have a clue to what they want to study.

We need better HS and grade schools.
I think we need to teach kids what they need to get a job in H.S. even if it means adding 2 more years.
They don't need two more years, they just need to stop teaching college prep to every student regardless of their academic abilities. Algebra and chemistry are fine for kids going on to college. I remember when if you didn't get good grades, colleges wouldn't let you in. Now colleges run a full range of remedial classes for students who aren't ready for college. Then why are they going? Our system is all screwed up. Government sticking its nose in and insisting every kid get a college education because of its earning power was a bad idea. They have no idea what the reality is.
The extra 2 years would be either college preparatory school or trade schools. Not everyone can be a business exec. Not everyone can fix air-conditioners.
The problem with extending mandatory education is the age group you're dealing with. A LOT of students are ready to be done with it by the time they're 16. They are becoming adults physiologically and hormonally, are chafing for independence. Many of them can make a good wad of cash doing this or that (around here fishing is very lucrative) while most of them have other things on their mind than the Scarlet Letter or physics. So two more years of high school would be almost impossible to hold them. Most voc tech programs in high schools begin in their junior year and prepare them for entry level work or to enter a trade school. That works fine. Why add two more years of what a lot of kids see as game playing?
Probably because college is like starting over. You have basic education requirements, along with prerequisites, that you have to complete just to move on to your core major classes Why not get rid of these requirements for majors like Industrial Arts and Journalism and let them get their degrees in 2 years. No....can't happen because it's all about money.

well dear here people over a certain age....65 i think can take courses at the local community college for free or reduced rates....

why are you against education?
I'm not against education. I just don't think I should pay for retirees to learn a new skill.

That must take a load off your mind, knowing your kids can go to college tuition free.
Well it's not free.
I wonder how they are going to pay for this after the first two years? I saw they have 9M budgeted. But what about after that? Is there an age cut off or am I going to be paying for 60 year olds going to community college? Is trade school involved, or is it just community college?
I thought they were raising the money with a lottery?

Well it's not free.
From what I have read, that's how they are paying for it the first two years. But idk about after that

Well it's not free.
From what I have read, that's how they are paying for it the first two years. But idk about after that
It willbe funded just like the free college we already had. That's awesome

Well it's not free.
You should have been paying attention when it was being discussed in the legislature. That's what a local paper is good for.

I agree with most of you. Free is not good when it comes to education , we need to do something to cut down on college costs and books. I am amazed when kids graduate from high school and have no idea what they want to be, its one thing to change majors, but another to not even have a clue to what they want to study.

We need better HS and grade schools.

I agree.

From Grade Scho to High Scool the whole thing need to be revamped but the sad thing is society refuses to change with the times

Well it's not free.
You should have been paying attention when it was being discussed in the legislature. That's what a local paper is good for.
I read a local paper.
This was the first I heard of it.

I think they are doing it assbackwards and it will simply cause the rates of tuition to go up.

Secondly, not everyone needs a college degree. Some simply need training in a vocational skill.

Training which they can get for free at their local community college in TN now. :eusa_wall:
"free" = from the wallets of Tennessee taxpayers; mostly hard working, middle class citizens who worked their way through college.

People tend not to respect things they are given as much as those things they've earned. I'd rather see states find ways to reduce education costs than to simply reach into Other People's pockets and give away their money.

Your position is "leeching was good enough for George Washington, so it is good enough for everybody else"
Disagreed, but I can see how my views piss off those who think they have a "right" to the money in other people's pockets.

and I can see in 30 years the people with their free college degrees will be saying the same thing, pretending they would exist and have money but for the labor of others.

I think they are doing it assbackwards and it will simply cause the rates of tuition to go up.

Secondly, not everyone needs a college degree. Some simply need training in a vocational skill.

Training which they can get for free at their local community college in TN now. :eusa_wall:
"free" = from the wallets of Tennessee taxpayers; mostly hard working, middle class citizens who worked their way through college.

People tend not to respect things they are given as much as those things they've earned. I'd rather see states find ways to reduce education costs than to simply reach into Other People's pockets and give away their money.

Your position is "leeching was good enough for George Washington, so it is good enough for everybody else"
Disagreed, but I can see how my views piss off those who think they have a "right" to the money in other people's pockets.

and I can see in 30 years the people with their free college degrees will be saying the same thing, pretending they would exist and have money but for the labor of others.
Awesome. So did my point really just woooooosh over your head or did you deliberately choose to ignore it with a derail?

Forum List

Back