TN, 5 Others States Introduce Bills To Prohibit Teaching Evolution

Which part of "freedom of religion" or "separation of church and state" is confusing to you, Joe?

You want to believe the Earth is 5,000 years old and teach your child that, fine by me. But WTF gives you any right to teach that nonsense to MY child?

What gives you the right to force a theory as fact on my children?

Oh and

States rights come into play in schools. Even with the useless DoE.

No state has the legal right to violate the constitution. Teaching public school children that God exists does EXACTLY that.

Funny, but it seems that you are the only one throwing God into this discussion. I did not mention God nor did Two Thumbs.

Immie

What gives you the right to force a theory as fact on my children?

Oh and

States rights come into play in schools. Even with the useless DoE.

No state has the legal right to violate the constitution. Teaching public school children that God exists does EXACTLY that.

Funny, but it seems that you are the only one throwing God into this discussion. I did not mention God nor did Two Thumbs.

Immie

Nonsense. The "intelligence" in "Intelligent Design" is God, and you know it, Immie.

Let's not be coy here.

Because scientific FACTS support the theory. Just like they support the THEORY of gravity
Who're you kidding? Schools teach gravity is a theory
?

If they had the facts to back them they wouldn't be theories then would they?
Everyone knows that things don't fall down when you drop them. God PUSHES things to the ground when you let go of them.

Einstien thought things were pushed down.

It was on the Science channel with a host of physists. My head was throbbing, when they were done and that was just a lead in to explaining why another theory may be valid.

I was really hoping this would be an Onion headline. Let TN stay at the bottom of the barrel, its what they deserve for electing such leaders. I can't wait to read the history books in 50 years though where they are considered as foolish as Scientologists though

The holes in the record of evolution are not proof that God exists.

Nor are those things that science can understand "proof" that God does not exist.

Please show me the words "Separation of Church and State" in the Constitution. They're not there. Honestly, the school system should not be involved in religion at all; either in terms of advocating for or against ANY form of religious or spiritual faith.

O for the love of Mike, if you lose your car keys, Immie, do you jump to the conclusion that a leprechan stole them? Or do you keep looking for your keys?

Did I say that those holes were proof? No, I did not. I never even thought that they were.

You seem to be the one jumping to conclusions.

The holes are there whether you admit it or not. The fact that those holes are there leaves room for argument that you live in a fairy tale land.

Immie

If I know A B C _ E F existed, is it scientifically valid to infer that D also existed, Immie?

Or should I instead treat the abscence of D in the record as "scientific proof that God exists"?

I really feel sorry for kids who parents push such crap on them, they might as well just send them straight to minimum wage agencies

Immie

Nonsense. The "intelligence" in "Intelligent Design" is God, and you know it, Immie.

Let's not be coy here.

Um, I read your quote in the OP. I saw nothing at all about teaching Intelligent Design. Nor would I support teaching ID unless it was simply mentioned as an alternative idea to Evolution.

I do not think we should be teaching "Life began..." in any manner whatsoever as no one at all knows how life began.

Immie

House Bill 368 (PDF), introduced in the Tennessee House of Representatives on February 9, 2011, is the sixth antievolution bill introduced in a state legislature in 2011, and the first introduced in Tennessee since 2007. The bill, if enacted, would require state and local educational authorities to "assist teachers to find effective ways to present the science curriculum as it addresses scientific controversies" and permit teachers to "help students understand, analyze, critique, and review in an objective manner the scientific strengths and scientific weaknesses of existing scientific theories covered in the course being taught."

The only examples provided of "controversial" theories are "biological evolution, the chemical origins of life, global warming, and human cloning." The sole sponsor of HB 368 is Bill Dunn (R-District 16), who, according to Project Vote Smart, answered yes to the question “Should Tennessee require its public schools to teach evolution as theory rather than scientific fact?” in 1996 — the same year in which the Tennessee legislature considered a bill (SB 3229/HB 2972) that would have provided for the suspension or dismissal of any teacher or administrator who taught evolution as a fact rather than a theory.

Antievolution legislation in Tennessee | NCSE

So, this used car dealer knows enough to prohibit teaching certain aspects of science? No wonder this nation continues to fall behind others on the level of science mastery of its students.

Legally required stupidity...what will they think of next?

Your reaction?

To paraphase Forest Gump's mama, stupid is as stupid does?

I'm telling you, America has a history of going though these religious revivalist anti-intellectual periods.

And every time the American zietgeist goes though one of these periods, these kinds of of knuckle dragging imbeciles are given platforms to spew their ignorant dreck, usually by some political party that needs their votes.

This insanity too will pass, Mad.

Last edited:
I was really hoping this would be an Onion headline. Let TN stay at the bottom of the barrel, its what they deserve for electing such leaders. I can't wait to read the history books in 50 years though where they are considered as foolish as Scientologists though

The fact is that the title of the thread is misleading and it appears to have been intentionally so.

Immie

Nor are those things that science can understand "proof" that God does not exist.

Please show me the words "Separation of Church and State" in the Constitution. They're not there. Honestly, the school system should not be involved in religion at all; either in terms of advocating for or against ANY form of religious or spiritual faith.

One such form of religious instruction is to teach -- in a science class! -- that God exists.

As for separation of church and state, the constitution is as the SCOTUS says it is. Dun like that? Then you must also be offended at constitutional provisions creating the Judiciary and checks and balances.

Can't have that both ways, Anachronism.

Immie

Let's not be coy here.

Then you don't understand what is meant by intellegent design.

It's not "the" god, as in one of the many gods we have, but a vast intellegence that got all these coincedences to occur so we can live here.

this is not some all loving being, blah blah blah. It's a "theory" of how we came about. The idea that it's just dumb luck, strikes me as non-sense.

O for the love of Mike, if you lose your car keys, Immie, do you jump to the conclusion that a leprechan stole them? Or do you keep looking for your keys?

Did I say that those holes were proof? No, I did not. I never even thought that they were.

You seem to be the one jumping to conclusions.

The holes are there whether you admit it or not. The fact that those holes are there leaves room for argument that you live in a fairy tale land.

Immie

If I know A B C _ E F existed, is it scientifically valid to infer that D also existed, Immie?

Or should I instead treat the abscence of D in the record as "scientific proof that God exists"?

The series of letters known as the alphabet is a set figure that we all agree upon. Not so with the "missing links" you so adamantly insist must exist.

Immie

Really?

When was the last anti-intellectual period and what defined it?

There's nothing intellectual about lying to children and using lies to undermine their faith. It's pure old-fashioned propaganda technique...

House Bill 368 (PDF), introduced in the Tennessee House of Representatives on February 9, 2011, is the sixth antievolution bill introduced in a state legislature in 2011, and the first introduced in Tennessee since 2007. The bill, if enacted, would require state and local educational authorities to "assist teachers to find effective ways to present the science curriculum as it addresses scientific controversies" and permit teachers to "help students understand, analyze, critique, and review in an objective manner the scientific strengths and scientific weaknesses of existing scientific theories covered in the course being taught."

The only examples provided of "controversial" theories are "biological evolution, the chemical origins of life, global warming, and human cloning." The sole sponsor of HB 368 is Bill Dunn (R-District 16), who, according to Project Vote Smart, answered yes to the question “Should Tennessee require its public schools to teach evolution as theory rather than scientific fact?” in 1996 — the same year in which the Tennessee legislature considered a bill (SB 3229/HB 2972) that would have provided for the suspension or dismissal of any teacher or administrator who taught evolution as a fact rather than a theory.

So, this used car dealer knows enough to prohibit teaching certain aspects of science? No wonder this nation continues to fall behind others on the level of science mastery of its students.

Your reaction?

Gotta love those hill billies. :lol::lol::lol:

I don't even argue with creationists anymore, in 20-30 years they will only be remembered in history books and will be openly mocked as other extremists do

Your reaction?

Gotta love those hill billies. :lol::lol::lol:

at least they know how to BBQ, would be terrible if they required a brain

They're openly mocked now.

By liars who say their pretend science explains the origins of the universe and precludes the existence of God.

The true ignorami are the retards who think it's okay to lie to children.

And, for those who are interested, the bible details exactly how believers would be mocked and lied about by those who claim to be "wise".

Forum List

Back