tithers the catholic church, how do you feel financing defense of pedos?

Really? Kathleen Willey, Elizabeth Ward Gracen, Sandra Allen James, Paula Jones and Juanita Broaddrick would likely agree with me

How much more clearly can I write this? Money donated during Mass, or what the OP refers to as tithes, is used to support the parish. The parish is the actual Church or small group of Churches within a set boundary. It pays the bills, upkeep of buildings, food and personal costs of the priest or priests, etc. That's it. Nothing more.

I would not expect non-Catholics to understand it but ignorance is not an excuse for bullshit.

As a former Catholic, I have plenty of experience regarding tithes and what they support.

My point was one of sentiment. Having my forced taxes used to support corruption, including the sexual abuse of women, is just as bad as having church tithes used to support priests who are perverts and child abusers. At least in the latter case, I have a choice of withholding support.

As a former Catholic, I have plenty of experience regarding tithes and what they support.

My point was one of sentiment. Having my forced taxes used to support corruption, including the sexual abuse of women, is just as bad as having church tithes used to support priests who are perverts and child abusers. At least in the latter case, I have a choice of withholding support.

So, they are not similar in any way then. You can withhold support for the Church if you so desire, but not so taxes. Having said that, the collections within the Catholic Mass are never sent outside the diocese. Anything else is a special collection, and they are for specific purposes, such as missionary work, CAFOD, etc. Not one red cent of mine has been used to defend pedophiles.... And, to the best of my knowledge, these priests, like anyone else, is innocent until proven guilty.

You're blaming the Catholic people for what the Hierarchy of the Church is doing?

I'm catholic, everybody I know disproves of this. (who wouldn't anyway?)

I didn't blame the catholic people for anything, unless they tithe, which means they are donating to the defense of pedophiles

Most of the time these scandals happen in very few places. Sure it may sound like it's everywhere thanks to the media, but every church I've went to the Priest has always condemn those priests and what the Hierarchy is handling it.

Point being, when you donate to the church you're donating for the people.

Honestly, I know how you're seeing this, because frankly I just think if they let Priests marry all these scandals would go down in numbers. Don't you think?
There is no way they will ever let priests marry. Right now they don't have to pay the priests very much because they provide housing and they live four or five to a rectory. Do you really think they would pay married priests enough to support a family? Remembering of course, that they condemn birth control so these families could end up with a dozen kids each! Their biblical arguments against priests marrying are very weak to say the least, and I do think the economic considerations are the main reason.

Why not ask how members of the ACLU feel about defending NAMBLA?

I see no difference between paying ACLU dues and donating to NAMBLA.

the aclu defended their right to free speech not their ability to rape kids. the catholic church defended the "rights" of their own staff to rape kids and helped ensure that they would stay hidden for a while at least

nice deflection though, shows you have no real argument

Why not ask how members of the ACLU feel about defending NAMBLA?

I see no difference between paying ACLU dues and donating to NAMBLA.

The ACLU defends peoples rights. They are not making judgment calls about NAMBLA, but only defending their right to be and organization. They are not covering up, condoning, or paying for NAMBLAS actions.

The catholic church on the other hand, DOES cover up for pedo priests, it does condone pedophile actions with its inaction to rid the church of their presence, and it does pay for the criminal defense and fines of said pedo priests.

I know what the ACLU was defending. In many cases I agree with what they do, and when I don't I respect their efforts. But not that time, never where threats to children are involved.

So, you two are telling me you are okay with and believe that NAMBLA has the right to publish what was essentially a "How To" literature for molestation and molesters?

Listen, I love the 1st Amendment as much as the next guy, it's one of my favorites, right up there with the 2nd, but come on, seriously?

And how is the providing of free legal services not a form of payment? For a group whose sole purpose for existing is to have sex with young boys?

Don't get me wrong, I have no love for the Catholic church, and not just because of this scandal, but please don't hide behind the screed of free speech to justify what NAMBLA does or the free expert legal service provided by the ACLU.

The ACLU was not condoning what NAMBLA saying or doing. They defended their right to free speech. I personally don't agree with either in this case. I am certainly not okay with anything there is to do with NAMBLA.

I am not hiding behind any screen. What the ACLU did and what the church does are two different things. However you can choose not to support the ACLU just as you can choose not to support the church.

Really? Kathleen Willey, Elizabeth Ward Gracen, Sandra Allen James, Paula Jones and Juanita Broaddrick would likely agree with me

How much more clearly can I write this? Money donated during Mass, or what the OP refers to as tithes, is used to support the parish. The parish is the actual Church or small group of Churches within a set boundary. It pays the bills, upkeep of buildings, food and personal costs of the priest or priests, etc. That's it. Nothing more.

I would not expect non-Catholics to understand it but ignorance is not an excuse for bullshit.

I agree, money given to a parish/diocese stays in the parish/diocese. However that same parish money is used to pay for legal settlements in molestation cases. This was quite the scandal my this parish.

Money for the settlements includes contributions from O'Shea and various insurance carriers, and $ 75,000 from the San Francisco archdiocese.

Catholic Church Settles 2 Molestation Suits Men Awarded $ 500,000 and an Apology, by Carl Nolte, San Francisco Chronicle, August 10, 1995

just wondering.... Personally, I would have removed any donations to the church the second the extent of the pedophilia was exposed.

I see no difference between tithing to the catholic church and donating to NAMBLA

This would be an issue if tithes got sent to Rome, for the defense of pedophiles, but it doesn't. Your ignorance of our Church is noted, and dismissed as stupid.

I was waiting for someone t bring this up... I don't think you understand what would happen if everyone suddenly stopped tithing in mass around the world

Tithing stays within the parish where it is given. It goes to pay the costs of the running of the Church or Churches within said parish. It doesn't go to Rome.

It does not go towards the defense fund for pedophile priests. Blu is either ignorant of the way the Church works, or just plain stupid. I don't much care which. Since he doesn't appear to be a Catholic, not for the first time, I am at a loss as to why this is his or any one else's business.

fail

there are 2 collections in the Catholic Mass on sunday, the first one is for the church, and the second one is for funding the many programs for the needy.

The funding for the church is what pays for the Church bills like electric, heat, Ac, the food for the nuns and priests and I would IMAGINE the cost of the defense for the few priests that were rotten.

One can avoid the first collection and continue to support the programs for the needy by just giving to the 2nd collection basket.

just wondering.... Personally, I would have removed any donations to the church the second the extent of the pedophilia was exposed.

I see no difference between tithing to the catholic church and donating to NAMBLA

This would be an issue if tithes got sent to Rome, for the defense of pedophiles, but it doesn't. Your ignorance of our Church is noted, and dismissed as stupid.

I was waiting for someone t bring this up... I don't think you understand what would happen if everyone suddenly stopped tithing in mass around the world

I understand perfectly well. But I am not going to punish my local priest - who does a remarkable job and is a remarkable man - for the sins of the few.

I don't think you understand what that impact would be. The impact would not affect the pedophile priests, it would affect the local church, which would be unable to carry on its work with the poor, sick, and vulnerable. It would mean our church would fall into disrepair (and my church happens to be hundreds of years old and needs serious maintenance). It would mean that my local priest wouldn't be able to run a car to get out to visit the needy. It would mean that its volunteers wouldn't be able to help those in need. All these people would be affected.... Pedophile priests? Nope.

Tithing stays within the parish where it is given. It goes to pay the costs of the running of the Church or Churches within said parish. It doesn't go to Rome.

It does not go towards the defense fund for pedophile priests. Blu is either ignorant of the way the Church works, or just plain stupid. I don't much care which. Since he doesn't appear to be a Catholic, not for the first time, I am at a loss as to why this is his or any one else's business.

fail

You don't seem to know very much about your faith.

New Topics

Forum List

Back