'Tis Official .....

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
..... the rugbrat enlisted in the US Army as a 91W (that's a Medic for any of you civilian spies!) today. :salute:

I DO have a question for one of you Army dogs though .... What's this two weeks leave from boot camp for Christmas stuff? :wtf:

GunnyL said:
..... the rugbrat enlisted in the US Army as a 91W (that's a Medic for any of you civilian spies!) today. :salute:

I DO have a question for one of you Army dogs though .... What's this two weeks leave from boot camp for Christmas stuff? :wtf:

Congrats to the youngun. Not bad pops..........

As to the Christmas Leave thing....... No impact No idea

GunnyL said:

My boot was in January..but I hear they do that break at Christmas now, dunno why.

GunnyL said:
HAH! I KNEW you wouldn't know. :laugh:

Heh, I still cannot believe that they (Army recruits) get base liberty long before graduation. I actually met some at the Fort Lost in the Woods PX.

GunnyL said:
My grandpa is a retired Army SgtMaj (E-7). He's probably rolling in his grave!!!
Probably..I'm hoping it's not some PC crap..Whatever the reason, it doesn't seem very productive to me..Two weeks is a long time when the training is so demanding. Maybe they should just wait and start em later, that seems like a better idea to me.

Mr. P said:
Probably..I'm hoping it's not some PC crap..Whatever the reason, it doesn't seem very productive to me..Two weeks is a long time when the training is so demanding. Maybe they should just wait and start em later, that seems like a better idea to me.

In Marine boot camp, you get holiday routine Christmas Day. Free time in the morning and grabass PT in the afternoon, but there's no liberty, and definitely no leave.

pegwinn said:
Heh, I still cannot believe that they (Army recruits) get base liberty long before graduation. I actually met some at the Fort Lost in the Woods PX.

I think I got half of the Sunday off the weekend before graduation in which we could go the bowling alley and buy some smokes and a Coke. Everything else was closed.

GunnyL said:
In Marine boot camp, you get holiday routine Christmas Day. Free time in the morning and grabass PT in the afternoon, but there's no liberty, and definitely no leave.
"grabass PT"? :eek: I knew the Marines were an odd lot! :dance:

Just kiddin..we're all in this together, or were anyway.

Mr. P said:
"grabass PT"? :eek: I knew the Marines were an odd lot! :dance:

Just kiddin..we're all in this together, or were anyway.

"Grabass" is a term used for recreational PT like playing basketball, football, etc, as opposed to PT (physical training) which is usually some form of demented torture designed to make everything hurt.

I have no idea where the term "grabass" comes from, but in the Marines, it is used in the context of screwing off.

GunnyL said:
"Grabass" is a term used for recreational PT like playing basketball, football, etc, as opposed to PT (physical training) which is usually some form of demented torture designed to make everything hurt.

I have no idea where the term "grabass" comes from, but in the Marines, it is used in the context of screwing off.
I know...it was the same in the Army. :salute:

Gunny, please thank that young one! :salute: You have to be so proud of your kids! :beer:

GunnyL said:
which is usually some form of demented torture designed to make everything hurt.

I hear that for sure. My wrestling coach is a retired Marine, his assistant an All-American wrestler. Last year the head coach was NCAA champion, and his assistant is a combatives instructor in the Army, Staff Sergeant, I believe.

Love every minute of it though.

GunnyL said:
I think I got half of the Sunday off the weekend before graduation in which we could go the bowling alley and buy some smokes and a Coke. Everything else was closed.

Yup, Chapel, then march to the hostess house parking lot and turned loose. I ate a whole pizza, had a smoke, drank some coke, got sick as a dog. Then did the CG's run on Monday.

GunnyL said:

It's called exodus. They assume that the entire Army (ok well most of em)
is off for two weeks so why not the soldiers in training. Plus it's hard
getting anything done from a logistical point if no one is there. They do have
to pay for their own ticket and they can choose not to go but they'll end up
on any and every detail to keep them busy. They (the drills) strongly
encourage that all soldiers try and take this exodus. Shit I wouldn't want to
keep a drill from his family on christmas.

pegwinn said:
Yup, Chapel, then march to the hostess house parking lot and turned loose. I ate a whole pizza, had a smoke, drank some coke, got sick as a dog. Then did the CG's run on Monday.
We had the opportunity to stay off post with our parents the night before
graduation, but we had to be back at the buttcrack of the buttcrack of dawn.
We could also leave off post (with no parents) as long as we were back by
2100 for formation.I had someone elses parents hook me up. Same family
that brought me some smokes on Thanksgiving.

Joker just about nailed it - it's not so much giving the troops/trainees time off, it's 'everybody else at their installation who won't be there to do their jobs to help the soldiers complete training. :)

..and CONGRATS! hooah!

Thanks to all of you, and yes, I am EXTREMELY proud. I couldn't even begin to express how much. A long story for another day, but she TRULY has overcome mucho adversity to get herself where she is.

As far as the Christmas leave thing goes, in the Marines, we always did what we called "port and starboard." No more than half of th epersonnel in any one unit could be gone at one time on leave, so while perhaps a little slower, the support was still there to keep the training machine going.

While I can certainly see the merit to the argument, having been a "hat," I would HATE to have my recruits leave halfway through training and come back two weeks later all fat, dumb-n-happy. It seems detrimental to the training process, IMO.

Forum List

Back