Tips on growing grass?

Joz said:
DO NOT use straw. I had a flea infestation last summer & liked to never have gotten rid of them Set off bug bombs TWICE.
My ex plants a garden in my back yard (no comments, please) and he uses straw to keep in the moisture. A farmer told me THAT's where the fleas came from.

I never knew that,but glad I do now. The last thing I need is the dogs getting fleas!!! Yuck!!

Joz said:
DO NOT use straw. I had a flea infestation last summer & liked to never have gotten rid of them Set off bug bombs TWICE.
My ex plants a garden in my back yard (no comments, please) and he uses straw to keep in the moisture. A farmer told me THAT's where the fleas came from.

We are lucky in CO, fleas are non-existent. However I wouldn't use straw either as it will also keep in mildew and often will make it unpleasant to be in that area of the yard and can effect allergies as well.

till the area.....till in 1" deep of miracle grow top soil....tamp it down flat....don't compact it.....water it.....go to home depot....buy sod....roll out the sod.....fence it off for 4 weeks.....water every other day

no1tovote4 said:
We are lucky in CO, fleas are non-existent......
I have a friend who moved from Vegas/Seattle to Kentucky. Got an e-mail asking me if I knew what a 'chigger" was? Hahhahhaha! She never had to deal with them before.
My dad went fishing one day. Came home & asked me if I had any nail polish. Only had the clear kind that had a pink tint to it. Poor dad. On one leg alone, he counted over 100 bites; his very pale skin covered with pink dots!

krisy, I'll let you know when I find out. I bought a few bags of this "three-in-one" stuff (seed, fertilizer, some other thing) that you just dump on after tilling the ground a little. It's new on the ground right now. I have a feeling it may not work brilliantly, but we'll see.

William Joyce said:
krisy, I'll let you know when I find out. I bought a few bags of this "three-in-one" stuff (seed, fertilizer, some other thing) that you just dump on after tilling the ground a little. It's new on the ground right now. I have a feeling it may not work brilliantly, but we'll see.

Keep it well-watered for the first week or so, so the seeds germinate.

Joz said:
I have a friend who moved from Vegas/Seattle to Kentucky. Got an e-mail asking me if I knew what a 'chigger" was? Hahhahhaha! She never had to deal with them before.
My dad went fishing one day. Came home & asked me if I had any nail polish. Only had the clear kind that had a pink tint to it. Poor dad. On one leg alone, he counted over 100 bites; his very pale skin covered with pink dots!

Yeah, Chiggers are also non-existent in CO. I couldn't imagine going on a picnic with those little buggers about.

The best thing to do is look for suggestions in your area.
Talk to the man with the best grass on the block.
Climate has EVERYTHING to do with what type of grass,
and how much to water.

I hate growing grass in Colorado, damn ground is dry.
Since the ground is so dry, it doesn't hold water very well.
So your limited on how much you SHOULD water, otherwise it just runs right
into the street.

Option #2: Head to your local lawn and garden center and ask lots of
questions.

Forum List

Back