Tips on growing grass?

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on getting some grass grown in some areas in our back yard. When we moved in,there was an above ground pool that we tore down, Nothing on it worked,and I didn't want a pool right now anyway. We need to get some grass growing where the pool is and a couple other areas where the dogs have worn a path. Trinity suggested that we put the seed in the freezer until we are ready to thrown it down,but I am needing help on getting it to grow with 2 dogs running around the back yard. A nieghbor said she doesn't put straw down,but puts a thin layer of topsoil over the seed and it works great every year. Are we just stuck with the dogs,or can it grow under the straw even if the dogs are walking and running all over it?

krisy said:
I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on getting some grass grown in some areas in our back yard. When we moved in,there was an above ground pool that we tore down, Nothing on it worked,and I didn't want a pool right now anyway. We need to get some grass growing where the pool is and a couple other areas where the dogs have worn a path. Trinity suggested that we put the seed in the freezer until we are ready to thrown it down,but I am needing help on getting it to grow with 2 dogs running around the back yard. A nieghbor said she doesn't put straw down,but puts a thin layer of topsoil over the seed and it works great every year. Are we just stuck with the dogs,or can it grow under the straw even if the dogs are walking and running all over it?

I gave up and dug a pathway, and filled it with stones. :D

Between all the kids and the dog, everything I tried wound up either being packed down too hard, or the grass that did grow died anyway. I hate grass, it doesn't grow in the city. :finger:

Said1 said:
I gave up and dug a pathway, and filled it with stones. :D

Between all the kids and the dog, everything I tried wound up either being packed down too hard, or the grass that did grow died anyway. I hate grass, it doesn't grow in the city. :finger:

Hey! The stones aren't a bad idea!!! The path they have worn is along a privecy fence,so maybe that could work. I don't think we will have as much problem where the pool was,becuase they don't constantly walk and run the same path there. I thought about trying some bushes along the fence too,but I would have to look into the cost. It would be nice so my dogs and the Rotts next door couldnt ee each other through the spaces in the fence.

The only tip I have is to pretend that Grass isn't supposed to be there. Grass always grows the best in the places you don't want it to be.

Really, the ground in that area is undoubtedly compressed, you will want to rototill the area before putting in any new sod.

You will need to observe the area, is it in sunlight or in shade? North side of the house or south. Certain grasses are better suited to different conditions and it will be necessary to purchase the right kind of sod. When you plant the sod water it in and keep it moist until it has set. After that water only when footprints are apparent after walking through the grass.

Which area of the country do you live in? That will also effect the types of sod you should purchase. Kentucky Blue Grass is the best for our area, but it may not be for yours.

no1-when you say "sod",are talking about the grass sqares that can be put down? I was just going to throw seed down,becuase a lot of the yard does have grass allready. That area of the back yard gets pretty good sun all day. We live in Ohio,but I don't know much about the dirt-it just looks like mud to me!!!

Sir Evil said:
As N1 suggested tilling the area would be a good start! with spring coming it's the best time to get started, make sure to use a good starter fertilizer as well. Dog urine is a problem with growing grass, it will really screw up the Ph levels in the soil so you should also some lime as it will help the Ph levels. if you don't have a spreader get one from the home center to make the job easier.

WEll,I suppose we need to get a spreader and some other things!! what is lime and where do I get it?

krisy said:
no1-when you say "sod",are talking about the grass sqares that can be put down? I was just going to throw seed down,becuase a lot of the yard does have grass allready. That area of the back yard gets pretty good sun all day. We live in Ohio,but I don't know much about the dirt-it just looks like mud to me!!!

It is actually very difficult to grow grass from seed in bare areas. You will need to keep the ground wet enough to stick to your feet at all times, keep dogs and everybody away. It is much easier to get sod and place it in the area and often much better on your nerves. Grass seed is better used to thicken areas that already have grass.

You will want to fertilize the ground before you attempt to grow from seeds or from sod as you don't want to waste the money for the seed or sod. You will also need to keep the birds away from the seed, not from the sod. Frustration levels often get high when attempting to grow from seed if it isn't something that you do often.

The best grasses for your area of the country are:
1. Bluegrass
2. Perennial Ryegrass
3. Fine Fescue
4. Tall Fescue
5. Bentgrass

Do not plant Tall Fescue into a Bluegrass lawn, I would suggest Bluegrass it is the no. 1 suggested grass for that area of the country. Kentucky Bluegrass is hearty and forgiving as well.

Here is an article about fertilizing Ohio Lawns specifically:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/4000/4006.html

Wow!! Thanks guys. That's a lot of stuff I didn't know!! I guess we will be shopping Saturday . I'm hoping the weather holds,so I can get this started soon,I love having people over and grill outs in the back yard!!

krisy said:
Wow!! Thanks guys. That's a lot of stuff I didn't know!! I guess we will be shopping Saturday . I'm hoping the weather holds,so I can get this started soon,I love having people over and grill outs in the back yard!!

I'll be sure to stop by for a steak and some corn on the cob next time I'm in Ohio.

no1tovote4 said:
I'll be sure to stop by for a steak and some corn on the cob next time I'm in Ohio.

Anytime!!! And you can admire the grass you helped me grow-lol!!! :beer:

krisy said:
Veeeeerry funny!!! :smoke:

Not exactly the grass I was looking for!!!! :tng:

That was the very first message board I ever belonged to. lol

I was wondering if you would check it out! :laugh:

krisy said:
I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on getting some grass grown in some areas in our back yard. .... A nieghbor said she doesn't put straw down.....
DO NOT use straw. I had a flea infestation last summer & liked to never have gotten rid of them Set off bug bombs TWICE.
My ex plants a garden in my back yard (no comments, please) and he uses straw to keep in the moisture. A farmer told me THAT's where the fleas came from.

Forum List

Back