Tipping Point or Not?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.rightwingnews.com/archives/week_2006_02_26.PHP#005311

The Tipping Point? It's More Like A Long, Downhill, Slide

Jim Geraghty over at TKS, along with Glenn Reynolds, have been the two leading proponents of an idea that's gaining some traction in the blogosphere: that the port sale represents a tipping point in American politics because for the first time, Americans are no longer willing to trust Muslims. Moreover, oddly enough, they both seem to have come to the conclusion that Bush's reaction to the Danish cartoon controversy has a lot to do with this "tipping point".

I can't say that I agree.

To begin with, while the main objection that people have to the port deal is that they don't trust foreign Muslims from the UAE with our security, that's not something new. There hasn't been a day that has passed since 9/11 that the American people would have supported allowing Muslims from the UAE to take charge of our port security -- it has just never been a political issue until now.

Furthermore, although like Jim and Glenn, I believe that this deal is not a security risk because Dubai Ports World will only be handling stevedoring duties, I don't think it's irrational to be concerned about having people from the UAE in a position where they could do great damage to our security.

Granted, the UAE is an ally in the war on terror, but undeniably, a significant percentage of their population is sympathetic to Al-Qaeda. If Dubai Ports World were actually handling security, it seems likely that a number of people who'd like to see us dead would be in a good position to help make that happen whether their government was allied with us not.

Now, that being said, the level of hostility towards Muslims has in my opinion skyrocketed in the United States, especially over the last couple of years. However, that's not because of George Bush, it's because nary a day passes without reading about some Muslim committing a horrible atrocity in the name of Allah while screeching Imams demand more bloodbaths in front of packed houses at Mosques around the world. Meanwhile, the reaction from Muslim "moderates" has been muted at best. Maybe that's because they're afraid of the radicals. Maybe they are speaking up in great numbers and the media's ignoring them.

Or -- or -- maybe a lot of "moderate" Muslim just don't have that big of a problem with blowing up school buses full of Jews, cutting off the heads of European hostages, or blowing up a train full of Spaniards. Hopefully, that's not the case, but it's hard for people to miss the fact that there are huge crowds of Muslims gathering all over the world to protest a cartoon that was published in Denmark, but few Muslims seem interested in demonstrating against the terrorist attacks committed in the name of Islam against "the infidels".

Again, maybe the media's ignoring those voices of dissent or the moderates are just afraid, but the fact that the extremists are very loud and heard from frequently while the "moderates" speak softly and seem to be seldom heard is having a real affect on people's perceptions of Islam.

Does that mean we're reached a "tipping point"? Actually, I'd say it's more like a long, downhill slide, that's apt to continue unless "moderate" Muslims start loudly and continuously speaking up. There are Muslims out there doing exactly that, but they could use a lot more company. Of course, people have been pointing that out since 9/11 and we haven't seen much of an improvement in the situation, so it doesn't seem to be likely that we're going back up that mountain any time soon -- and that's really too bad for everyone concerned.
John Hawkins

We in the United States, and the federal government in particular, have bent over backwards since 9/11 to be "understanding" of Islamic viewpoints. I say to hell with that. Islam is sick and very ill psychologically. If there are "moderates" I can't seem to find them. The West, and the United States especially, need to take the gloves off. The future is at stake and if left to Islam the Wests' future would be nonexistence. The time is over for understanding, being Mr. Nice Guy, and acceptance of Islam. The West must face facts. Islam is a violent religion whose leaders have no problem with murder. In fact they condone it. If the fate of the future is between the West or Islam I say get the bombers fueled, armed, and airborne. Until Islam is apparently taught a massive lesson in blood they will not learn. I'm not for complete nuclear irradication but something close to it. Why waste our youth fighting these heathens. Nuke the crap out of them. They have proven time and again that they are sub-humans. It is time to treat them as such.

ThomasPaine said:
We in the United States, and the federal government in particular, have bent over backwards since 9/11 to be "understanding" of Islamic viewpoints. I say to hell with that. Islam is sick and very ill psychologically. If there are "moderates" I can't seem to find them. The West, and the United States especially, need to take the gloves off. The future is at stake and if left to Islam the Wests' future would be nonexistence. The time is over for understanding, being Mr. Nice Guy, and acceptance of Islam. The West must face facts. Islam is a violent religion whose leaders have no problem with murder. In fact they condone it. If the fate of the future is between the West or Islam I say get the bombers fueled, armed, and airborne. Until Islam is apparently taught a massive lesson in blood they will not learn. I'm not for complete nuclear irradication but something close to it. Why waste our youth fighting these heathens. Nuke the crap out of them. They have proven time and again that they are sub-humans. It is time to treat them as such.

I'm afraid the plan is that islam is to take over the world. Our leaders are all on board with it.

I wonder what these two very important islamic dudes would think of this thread and it's irreverent turn?

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm afraid the plan is that islam is to take over the world. Our leaders are all on board with it.

However I believe your assertion is incorrect. Remember that it is only so long that the will of the people can be repressed. I think the will of the American people has been suppressed by both the media, which seeks to the detrement of our nation to find some acceptance of radical Islam, and the federal government, which by the Bush administration seems incapable of calling the bastards "evil". It is past time and apparent that reality seeps in and "wishful thinking" is remanded to the left. Let our missiles and our might do the talking.. That should have been our initial response to 9/11 rather than the reluctant role we have assumed.

I thought lawyers decided who we could kill these days. Does the Constitution even allow us to declare war on a religion?

dilloduck said:
I thought lawyers decided who we could kill these days. Does the Constitution even allow us to declare war on a religion?

a religion in the Constitution of The United States. However, if an Amendment be so proposed it is my belief its' success to be inherent.

ThomasPaine said:
a religion in the Constitution of The United States. However, if an Amendment be so proposed it is my belief its' success to be inherent.

I was curious as to how it could be fought as freedom to worship as one pleases is a pretty basic right. Amend the constitution with something that is unconstitutional? Tricky business.

I was being facetious to a point. However to ignore the threat that is Islam to the future of the West and the United States is indulgent to the point of destruction. To ignore that a religion itself, Islam, is attacking and proceeds to be on the attack with the acceptance and proscription of its' leaders is without doubt..

ThomasPaine said:
I was being facetious to a point. However to ignore the threat that is Islam to the future of the West and the United States is indulgent to the point of destruction. To ignore that a religion itself, Islam, is attacking and proceeds to be on the attack with the acceptance and proscription of its' leaders is without doubt..

But bush said it's the religions of peace. ANd that selling them port management is fine.

Well, maybe it is time to just finish it.

Roll out the nuke`s, and put an end to the whole nasty business.

I argued long, and hard, on another board, to just level Iraq in the very beginning.

Course, if that`s the plan, then there isn`t any holding back, ya gotta take em out COMPLETLY, no particle victory can be achieved when your fighting religion.

No surrender can be accepted. Islam would have to be outlawed, and people who practice it, hunted down, and killed.

All that is connected to the religion would be destroyed, and books, that deals with Islam would need to be destroyed.

All the Muslim`s here in the States would need to be brought to "elimination" camps. All their property, both personal, and commercial, turned over to the State. Otherwise imagine the sabotage that would accrue.

Complete, and total victory, or don`t even fuel the planes up. :usa:

ANY of this sound familar? :dev2:

trobinett said:
Well, maybe it is time to just finish it.

Roll out the nuke`s, and put an end to the whole nasty business.

I argued long, and hard, on another board, to just level Iraq in the very beginning.

Course, if that`s the plan, then there isn`t any holding back, ya gotta take em out COMPLETLY, no particle victory can be achieved when your fighting religion.

No surrender can be accepted. Islam would have to be outlawed, and people who practice it, hunted down, and killed.

All that is connected to the religion would be destroyed, and books, that deals with Islam would need to be destroyed.

All the Muslim`s here in the States would need to be brought to "elimination" camps. All their property, both personal, and commercial, turned over to the State. Otherwise imagine the sabotage that would accrue.

Complete, and total victory, or don`t even fuel the planes up. :usa:

ANY of this sound familar? :dev2:

I don't think we have to go that far. I think we'd see a reformation of the religion aafter nuking a couple major locations.

rtwngAvngr said:
I don't think we have to go that far. I think we'd see a reformation of the religion aafter nuking a couple major locations.

"Reform you religion or we'll kill the rest of you?" I thought all the holocaust memorials were to remind us "never again".

trobinett said:
Aww, but what if you were WRONG?

Can you even imagine the shit we`d fine our selves in?

WWLAST. :cool:

Maybe nuking is premature. We should at least not allow them to change our civil freedoms because they like totalitarianism. Immigration should be stopped from these nations all-together. They're opposed to freedom.

rtwngAvngr said:
Maybe nuking is premature. We should at least not allow them to change our civil freedoms because they like totalitarianism. Immigration should be stopped from these nations all-together. They're opposed to freedom.

Bottom line ---you want Islam to be legally decared "religion non grata" ?

dilloduck said:
Bottom line ---you want Islam to be legally decared "religion non grata" ?

No, I don't. I want people to recognize the threat it poses and take defensive measures. You still sound like a lib.

Hey Dillo, where are you on the port deal? What's your position. Did you decide yet?

New Topics

Forum List

Back