Tipping a $15/Hour Server

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I tend to be a generous tipper when I go out. I almost always tip at least 20% or more unless the service is really, really shitty. I spent a few years in the restaurant industry working as a server and bartender so I relied almost completely on tips since I was only paid $2.83 an hour, but this $15 an hour minimum wage in Seattle got me thinking. If I happened to be there and went out to eat should I still be expected to tip the standard 15 to 20% to a server who is already getting a base hourly wage of $15 an hour?

Id say yes, unless prices have risen considerably to subsidize his new wage.

I didnt tip to compensate for the waiter's wage. I tipped because he gave me good to great service.

No need to tip at all unless you get exemplary service. Its the burden of the business to pay enough to keep its employees. I'm already paying for the meal.

I tend to be a generous tipper when I go out. I almost always tip at least 20% or more unless the service is really, really shitty. I spent a few years in the restaurant industry working as a server and bartender so I relied almost completely on tips since I was only paid $2.83 an hour, but this $15 an hour minimum wage in Seattle got me thinking. If I happened to be there and went out to eat should I still be expected to tip the standard 15 to 20% to a server who is already getting a base hourly wage of $15 an hour?
Yes, of course! Why should you be mentally regulating/limiting his income based on what you believe someone who serves you food should be making? That's a form of class warfare when you think about it.

You tip to show appreciation for the service rendered. In fact, it's an acronym for "To Insure Proper Service", and was once given at the beginning of a meal.

We dine out fairly often, and usually tip 20-25%. But now that Oaklandtown has increased the minimum wage by 30%+, restaurants are raising prices or adding Oakland Surcharges to the bill. No tips for servers in those places, which I've noticed have worse service than they used to.

I would say don't tip unless service above and beyond the call of duty is rendered
I assume the server is making $2 an hour when I eat and tip accordingly

Last edited:
Yes, of course! Why should you be mentally regulating/limiting his income based on what you believe someone who serves you food should be making? That's a form of class warfare when you think about it.

You tip to show appreciation for the service rendered. In fact, it's an acronym for "To Insure Proper Service", and was once given at the beginning of a meal.
So you never shop for better prices?You are doing just what you claim is bad.Do you call and get quotes for home repairs? Or do you just throw a dart and hope for the best?

I didnt tip to compensate for the waiter's wage. I tipped because he gave me good to great service.

But when I go to Europe I don't tip the same way I do in the states. They have higher hourly wages there, plus socialized medicine, so the American standard of 15 to 20% is not commonplace in Europe. Why would Seattle be any different now?

But when I go to Europe I don't tip the same way I do in the states. They have higher hourly wages there, plus socialized medicine, so the American standard of 15 to 20% is not commonplace in Europe. Why would Seattle be any different now?
I never think of it in those terms is what i'm saying.

If a bar tender at jillian's is pulling 100k a year and a bar tender at harrys ass crack bar is making 28k a year get me a beer......

I do a buck a beer as a tip.

Their income or pay otherwise is irrelevant to me. I just feel like the justification is all in the service itself

If youre a 10% guy or a 20% guy, as a tipper, i dont have any issuses with that. Everyone has a different appreciation level for their service i guess.

I dont get the big deal with tipping. I dont tip the sales associate when they show me a TV. Whats the difference?
Difference is if hes not nice to you, you dont buy from him.

Waiters not nice to you, you dont tip him.

Forum List

Back