Tinnitus research

waltky

Wise ol' monkey
Feb 6, 2011
Okolona, KY
Must be why Granny keeps tellin' us to answer the phone when it ain't ringin'...
:confused:
Research Shows Tinnitus May Affect Brain Responses
May 24, 2011 - Have you ever gone to the doctor, complaining of a loud ringing or buzzing sound that no one else seems to hear? It may be what's called tinnitus, and while it does not matter whether you pronounce it tinn-EYE-tus or TINN-eh-tus, it can be a distressing condition. This phantom noise affects an estimated 50 million Americans and 250 million people worldwide. There is no cure for it.
Retired Air Force Colonel Horace Humphries, Junior says tinnitus can affect your whole life. "I have nights where I can't sleep. I'm in a situation where it kind of affects your memory. It affects how you do things. I can't be around any loud noises at all," he said. Colonel Humphries was in the U.S. Air Force when ear protection was not required around military aircraft. And even away from the flight line, war is not a quiet business. He describes what happened in Vietnam when a rocket blew up as he was driving back to base. "It was so loud it lifted the side of the Jeep up and I remember my ears ringing real bad," he said.

And they continued to ring, even after he returned home and retired. Tinnitus affects as many as 20 to 40 percent of returning military. Then, as they join the elderly population, their condition can get worse. Dr. Jay Piccirillo of Washington University in St. Louis says tinnitus can be very isolating. "Nobody else can see your injury. Nobody else can see your suffering. So these patients feel alone and they feel like they're suffering in silence," he said. Dr. Piccirillo says tinnitus is likely caused by damage to the auditory system that can eventually affect other parts of the brain. The sound that generated the injury in the first place is gone, but recognition of the sound is still there. "That tinnitus sound, that roaring, clicking, clacking, whatever it is, is constantly being sent up to the cortical part of the brain and the brain is misinterpreting it as meaningful information," he said.

Not every member of the military experiences tinnitus, even after combat. So why do some suffer and others do not? To find out, the researchers at Washington University plan to interview and take brain images of 200 U.S. soldiers before they leave for active duty in Iraq or Afghanistan. When they return, they will be reinterviewed and images will be taken again to identify those who have developed tinnitus. "Is there some preexisting vulnerability in the way the different regions of the brain really don't communicate or communicate ineffectually, that then prohibits the sufferer, the tinnitus sufferer, from overcoming the acoustic injury," he said.

MORE

White noise does wonders. I read somewhere that aspirin can cause it, too.

Yep, aspirin and other NSAIDS. I have tinnitus and it is maddening at times. Vincent Van Gogh had tinnitus secondary to Meniere's disease. Many feel that cut off his ear in an effort to stop the ringing.

I just set the volume to 11.
Works like a champ.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNQdfHU7Vws&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=AVGxdCwVVULXdterxfkDuWBbngI0mxceQz]YouTube - ‪Styx - Can't Find My Way Home‬‏[/ame]

Forum List

Back