Timeline for the asteroid that wiped out life 66 million years ago.

A 50 mile wide asteroid splashed down into the Ocean. This immediately started a mile high tsunami, and then things got really bad. Have I ever mentioned it would be a good idea to invest in asteroid deflection technology?

For the first time, an hour-by-hour timeline reveals what happened after the asteroid crash that killed the dinosaurs

Ahhh, Mike, sorry to bust your bubble, but it takes more than reading one article on the web to know something about geologic history and life extinction events. For one thing, where the hell do you get that a 50 mile wide asteroid splashed down in the ocean? The Chicxulub Impactor is estimated to have been about NINE miles in diameter and your own article states only that it "was more than 6 miles wide."

For that matter, asteroids do not "splash down," and it didn't even land in the ocean, it impacted the Yucatan Peninsula, which at that time was at the mouth of a then mostly formed gulf, not an ocean.
I think the "50 mile" figure came from the estimates of its size, which put it from 7 to 50 miles wide.

A 50 mile wide asteroid splashed down into the Ocean. This immediately started a mile high tsunami, and then things got really bad. Have I ever mentioned it would be a good idea to invest in asteroid deflection technology?

For the first time, an hour-by-hour timeline reveals what happened after the asteroid crash that killed the dinosaurs

Ahhh, Mike, sorry to bust your bubble, but it takes more than reading one article on the web to know something about geologic history and life extinction events. For one thing, where the hell do you get that a 50 mile wide asteroid splashed down in the ocean? The Chicxulub Impactor is estimated to have been about NINE miles in diameter and your own article states only that it "was more than 6 miles wide."

For that matter, asteroids do not "splash down," and it didn't even land in the ocean, it impacted the Yucatan Peninsula, which at that time was at the mouth of a then mostly formed gulf, not an ocean.
I think the "50 mile" figure came from the estimates of its size, which put it from 7 to 50 miles wide.
7-50,,,WOW!!!

sounds like they had no idea and just made up a number

7-50,,,WOW!!!

Well moron, it can't be bigger than the crater. And its size is limited on the lower end by the size of the crater and the velocities of solar system objects.

7-50,,,WOW!!!

Well moron, it can't be bigger than the crater. And its size is limited on the lower end by the size of the crater and the velocities of solar system objects.

so they guessed,,,

Right, all we have is the best estimates of the scientists who have studied the impact site. Granted the number I posted was at the high end, but whether it was 6 or 50 miles wide there is full agreement that it was a big ass rock that caused massive world wide damage.

Many of you are jumping to conclusions. The Alvarez asteroid killed the dinosaurs is hypothesis -- Evolution: Extinction: What Killed the Dinosaurs?.

Many of the dinosaurs were already dying out when Chicxulub hit the Earth, contributing to another event called the Deccan Traps, massive volcanism, which together made life unbearable.

how would you know they were already dying???

You have fingers and web access ---- ---- type.

Dinosaurs were dying out long before huge meteor strike

Were dinosaurs already on the way out when the asteroid hit? | Cosmos

WHOSE estimate? No estimate has ever been estimated that large! Of all the known major impactors:
  • Chicxulub is best estimated at 9 miles diameter, 66 million years ago.
  • Sudbury Impactor estimated to be about 8 miles diameter around 1.8 billion years ago.
  • Vredefort Impactor estimated to be about 9 miles diameter around 2.05 billion years ago.
  • Suavjarvi Impactor about 2.4 billion years ago. No good estimate of size.
  • Unamed impactor hitting South Africa creating Barberton Greenstone Belt about 3.2 billion years ago estimated to be 30 miles wide.
  • Before that was the LHB at 4 billion year. No geologic record remains to make any individual estimates.
I know of no credible estimate placing Chicxulub anywhere near 50 miles. 10 maybe. Not 50.

Right, all we have is the best estimates of the scientists who have studied the impact site. Granted the number I posted was at the high end, but whether it was 6 or 50 miles wide there is full agreement that it was a big ass rock that caused massive world wide damage.

Show me an estimate of 50 miles?! A rock that size would have punched through the crust into the mantle of the Earth and the outcome would have been far different than what the geologic record shows! I get sick and tired of the USMB "science" forum being the sounding board for a bunch of outrageous nutball unsubstantiated claims from whackjob internet articles claiming everything from the USA took out the WTC itself to there being books written 10 million years ago to UFOs coming from a hollow metal moon. :eek: Half the people here have a screw loose.

Many of you are jumping to conclusions. The Alvarez asteroid killed the dinosaurs is hypothesis -- Evolution: Extinction: What Killed the Dinosaurs?.

Many of the dinosaurs were already dying out when Chicxulub hit the Earth, contributing to another event called the Deccan Traps, massive volcanism, which together made life unbearable.

big difference between guessing and knowing,,,

and they have to ignore a lot of other evidence to come up with those opinions,,
the biggest being the huge dino graveyards of mutilated bodies that stretch for hundreds of miles

Like I said from the beginning, the estimates of the asteroid size varies widely. Here is the result of a google question and answer on the subject:

The Chicxulub impactor had an estimated diameter of 11–81 kilometres (6.8–50.3 mi), and delivered an estimated energy of 21–921 billion Hiroshima A-bombs (between and joules, or 1.3–58 yottajoules).

You have to realize this is just hypothesis by Luis Alvarez of UC Berkeley made years ago. It is the consensus of scientists today because secular science eliminated their competition who believed in the past and believes today dinosaurs lived with humans, they co-existed with birds, and were mostly eliminated by a global flood. The latter global flood is their theory. Since there is no opposition to secular science today, i.e. no peer reviews can be done by the opposition, what the majority of peer review scientists believe becomes theory. This is not the way I learned science. Science was always about argument. We can't test everything by the scientific method. That is the true science. Thus, what you posted could be a bunch of :9:which they have foisted upon you. If you compare what the good books says, then all of it has been contradicted by today's scientists. So did dinosaurs die because of a global flood or did they because of an asteroid strike (majority secular belief)*, supervolcano (geologists), AGW, or all combination of the latter three?

With dinosaurs, we find that their fossils are usually together in a graveyard. Why not look at the locations of these places?

* - The large asteroid strike is also interesting in that it is from outer space. We also get a lot of reports that the end of the world will also be from another large asteroid. This seems to be the growing consensus in lieu of AGW today and NASA wants to do something about it.

Last edited:

You have to realize this is just theory by Luis Alvarez of UC Berkeley made years ago. It is the consensus of scientists today because secular science eliminated their competition who believed in the past and believes today dinosaurs lived with humans, they co-existed with birds, and were mostly eliminated by a global flood. The latter global flood is their theory. Since there is no opposition to secular science today, i.e. no peer reviews can be done by the opposition, what the majority of peer review scientists believe becomes theory. This is not the way I learned science. Science was always about argument. We can't test everything by the scientific method. That is the true science. Thus, what you posted could be a bunch of :9:which they have foisted upon you. If you compare what the good books says, then all of it has been contradicted by today's scientists. So did dinosaurs die because of a global flood or did they because of an asteroid strike (majority secular belief), supervolcano (glogists), AGW, or all combination of the latter three?
What an embarrassing , steaming pile of horseshit. You have no evidence on your side, and all the evidence stands against you.

That is why you are reduced to this embarrassing state of public masturbation.

and they have to ignore a lot of other evidence to come up with those opinions,,
the biggest being the huge dino graveyards of mutilated bodies that stretch for hundreds of miles

I just mentioned discussing these huge dino graveyards. One is at Alberta, CAN of more than 900 acres. The scientists, at the time, believed these creatures were killed by a tropical storm because they lived in a balmy area along the coast. Instead of signifying time chronology, the location is just where the animals died. These types of findings have been ignored and buried because of the asteroid hypothesis. Even the combination theory of few years ago has been cast aside.

What an embarrassing , steaming pile of horseshit. You have no evidence on your side, and all the evidence stands against you.

I'm not addressing to you, but to other scientific minds here because you are an astronomical idiot! What I have is a planet that is 3/4 covered by water which is like no other in our solar system. It's like no other in the universe that we can see with our telescopes.

Instead, what if we were mostly one large land mass during the time instead of being mostly water? Afterward, the land masses split apart.

ETA: Look at the type of fossils we have and where they were found. The majority of the fossil record are marine creatures.

Last edited:

Typical response of a non-scientist.

Where's the dinosaur graveyards near Chicxulub? All you guys are discussing is the asteroid which may or may not have anything to do with the catastrophe. Geologists used to think it was a supervolcano before.

Here's my evidence:
Alberta, CAN
World's Largest Dinosaur Graveyard Linked to Mass Death

Tanis, North Dakota
Dinosaur fossils with marine fossils

Gobi Desert
One of Asia's most desolate places; Mongolian Academy of Sciences and the American Museum of Natural History, have excavated dinosaurs, lizards and small mammals in an unprecedented state of preservation

The Ashley Beds
An enormous phosphate graveyard that contains mixed remains of man with land and sea animals, notably dinosaurs, pleisosaurs, whales, sharks, rhinos, horses, mastodons, mammoths, porpoises, elephants, deer, pigs, dogs, and sheep

Karoo Formation, South Africa
The Karoo formation in South Africa alone contains fossil remains of about 800 billion animals.”

Where's the dinosaur graveyards near Chicxulub? All you guys are discussing is the asteroid which may or may not have anything to do with the catastrophe. Geologists used to think it was a supervolcano before.

Here's my evidence:
Alberta, CAN
World's Largest Dinosaur Graveyard Linked to Mass Death

Tanis, North Dakota
Dinosaur fossils with marine fossils

Gobi Desert
One of Asia's most desolate places; Mongolian Academy of Sciences and the American Museum of Natural History, have excavated dinosaurs, lizards and small mammals in an unprecedented state of preservation

The Ashley Beds
An enormous phosphate graveyard that contains mixed remains of man with land and sea animals, notably dinosaurs, pleisosaurs, whales, sharks, rhinos, horses, mastodons, mammoths, porpoises, elephants, deer, pigs, dogs, and sheep

Karoo Formation, South Africa
The Karoo formation in South Africa alone contains fossil remains of about 800 billion animals.”

How did all that happen in just 6,000 years?

Typical response of a non-scientist.

yours is a typical response from a brainwashed moron that believes anything his overlords tell him

Forum List

Back