Timeline for the asteroid that wiped out life 66 million years ago.

What were the CO2 levels?
Not sure but 55 million years ago it was about 3500 ppm.
I just wonder who made the gauge that tested that level and how it lasted 55 million yrs so we can read it now??
From present to 1966 it was measured directly. From 1966 to 1000 AD measured from Law Dome ice cores. From 1000 AD to ~400,000 years ago measured from Vostok ice cores. Prior to that CO2 levels were determined from proxies; boron 11 isotopes and alkenoid carbon isotopes.
so they guessed,,,

lets face it its all an assumption that doesnt take into account that things didnt always happen the same way they do now,,,
the problem is they claim it to be fact

look at this account,,they claim to be able to give a day to day accounting 66 million yrs later,,,
I call bullshit
No. They didn’t guess. They measured it.

No one said it was day to day. The time resolution is like 2000 years or so.

What were the CO2 levels?
I just wonder who made the gauge that tested that level and how it lasted 55 million yrs so we can read it now??
From present to 1966 it was measured directly. From 1966 to 1000 AD measured from Law Dome ice cores. From 1000 AD to ~400,000 years ago measured from Vostok ice cores. Prior to that CO2 levels were determined from proxies; boron 11 isotopes and alkenoid carbon isotopes.
so they guessed,,,

lets face it its all an assumption that doesnt take into account that things didnt always happen the same way they do now,,,

look at this account,,they claim to be able to give a day to day accounting 66 million yrs later,,,
I call bullshit

they can only measure what exist today, they cant measure what happened thousands or millions of yrs ago, they can only guess at that

as per the day to day I was talking about the OP where they try and give a minute by minute accounting of something they claim happened 66 million yrs ago,,

I got no problem if they want to give their opinions , where I do have a problem is them claiming this is fact and expect us to believe it as fact or be condemned if we dont

so they guessed,,,

I call bullshit

they can only measure what exist today, they cant measure what happened thousands or millions of yrs ago, they can only guess at that

as per the day to day I was talking about the OP where they try and give a minute by minute accounting of something they claim happened 66 million yrs ago,,

I got no problem if they want to give their opinions , where I do have a problem is them claiming this is fact and expect us to believe it as fact or be condemned if we dont
Boron 11 isotopes and alkenoid carbon isotopes do exist today.

If you don’t want to accept the generally accepted science, then don’t.

I do. It makes sense. It explains how hydrocarbons got in the arctic circle.

so they guessed,,,

I call bullshit

yes they exist today,,and existed then, the question comes in to was their environment the same thousands of yrs ago as it today,,

and that word "accepted"???
I can accept the moon is made of cheese that doesnt mean it is made out of cheese,,

so they guessed,,,

I call bullshit

yes they exist today,,and existed then, the question comes in to was their environment the same thousands of yrs ago as it today,,

I can accept the moon is made of cheese that doesnt mean it is made out of cheese,,
Is it the generally accepted scientific consensus that the moon is made of cheese? No. So that's silly.

Do you accept the generally accepted theory of relativity? We can't measure that. We can only infer it. Same for CO2.

It is claimed to be the best evidence based knowledge available. If you can't accept that you must believe in fairy stories.

What did the people do who were living in the area, but not close enough to be killed, at the time?

chicxulub16.jpg

They built towns over it and nearby -- The Maya Shaman and Chicxulub.

iu

A Cuneiform clay tablet has been revealed to describe an asteroid impact which in 3123 BC hit Köfels, Austria, le… | Ancients Texts & Symbolic Language | Ancient aliens, Ancient artifacts, Sumerian

Last edited:
A 50 mile wide asteroid splashed down into the Ocean. This immediately started a mile high tsunami, and then things got really bad. Have I ever mentioned it would be a good idea to invest in asteroid deflection technology?

For the first time, an hour-by-hour timeline reveals what happened after the asteroid crash that killed the dinosaurs

Ahhh, Mike, sorry to bust your bubble, but it takes more than reading one article on the web to know something about geologic history and life extinction events. For one thing, where the hell do you get that a 50 mile wide asteroid splashed down in the ocean? The Chicxulub Impactor is estimated to have been about NINE miles in diameter and your own article states only that it "was more than 6 miles wide."

For that matter, asteroids do not "splash down," and it didn't even land in the ocean, it impacted the Yucatan Peninsula, which at that time was at the mouth of a then mostly formed gulf, not an ocean.

so they guessed,,,

I call bullshit

Is it the generally accepted scientific consensus that the moon is made of cheese? No. So that's silly.

Do you accept the generally accepted theory of relativity? We can't measure that. We can only infer it. Same for CO2.

those dont involve the imagination of something that happened millions of yrs ago that cant be seen or tested today, just guessed at

those dont involve the imagination of something that happened millions of yrs ago that cant be seen or tested today, just guessed at
They weren't guessed at. They were inferred through direct measurement of something which approximates the level of CO2. So it's not a guess. If you keep misrepresenting it, I will just have to keep correcting you. So let's not do that.

But the theory of relativity is a perfect example of what I am talking about. It cannot be directly measured. It can only be inferred by measuring something else.

They weren't guessed at. They were inferred through direct measurement of something which approximates the level of CO2. So it's not a guess. If you keep misrepresenting it, I will just have to keep correcting you. So let's not do that.

But the theory of relativity is a perfect example of what I am talking about. It cannot be directly measured. It can only be inferred by measuring something else.

again they can only measure what exist today and guess at what it was thousands or millions of yrs ago,

Forum List

Back