Time.

Originally posted by Modu$OperanDi
Christians - What is the purpose of other galaxis if not to create/support/contain life? Why did 'God' put them there? Or are they illusions?

Well, let's talk about that... assuming that Christianity is true (which I do, and since you asked for a Christian input, that's the starting assumption), God has created everything for his own purpose and his own enjoyment. So the galaxies were made by Him for His own purposes. I think part of that purpose is that, by realizing what a huge expanse of space there is, and how many millions and millions of stars there are, we would start to have a grasp of God's creative ability. I believe that God created the universe through the Big Bang, and so I believe that those other galaxies are part of His creation, but I don't believe that they necessarily have to sustain life.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Well, let's talk about that... assuming that Christianity is true (which I do, and since you asked for a Christian input, that's the starting assumption), God has created everything for his own purpose and his own enjoyment. So the galaxies were made by Him for His own purposes. I think part of that purpose is that, by realizing what a huge expanse of space there is, and how many millions and millions of stars there are, we would start to have a grasp of God's creative ability. I believe that God created the universe through the Big Bang, and so I believe that those other galaxies are part of His creation, but I don't believe that they necessarily have to sustain life.

All of the other trillions of galaxies are in place for God's 'enjoyment' and 'creative ability'. And ours is at a completely random place and time in the span of the universe (scientifically). The fact that we can partially understand the sheer vastness of this universe, and scientifically prove there are galaxies resembling ours, makes not believing in extra-terrestrial life foolish. The existence of extra-terrestrial life practically destroys Christianity, that is why you don't believe it is necessary, even though our galaxy does support life. I know what a Christian would say - 1st: There is no proof of what you say, 2nd: You have no ability to see into God's mind and purposes. Fact is, we have the ability to make logical inferences without 100% proof, 'God' gave us that ability, a religion that shuns that ability is wrong. If we found signs of extra-terrestrial life (though it seems unlikely), CNN would have a frenzy, the whole globe would be turned upside down, religions would be questioned - this shows man's nature to get lost in it's closest proximity enviroment, and feel threatened by change.

Originally posted by Modu$OperanDi
All of the other trillions of galaxies are in place for God's 'enjoyment' and 'creative ability'. And ours is at a completely random place and time in the span of the universe (scientifically). The fact that we can partially understand the sheer vastness of this universe, and scientifically prove there are galaxies resembling ours, makes not believing in extra-terrestrial life foolish. The existence of extra-terrestrial life practically destroys Christianity, that is why you don't believe it is necessary, even though our galaxy does support life. I know what a Christian would say - 1st: There is no proof of what you say, 2nd: You have no ability to see into God's mind and purposes. Fact is, we have the ability to make logical inferences without 100% proof, 'God' gave us that ability, a religion that shuns that ability is wrong. If we found signs of extra-terrestrial life (though it seems unlikely), CNN would have a frenzy, the whole globe would be turned upside down, religions would be questioned - this shows man's nature to get lost in it's closest proximity enviroment, and feel threatened by change.

First, I agree that we have the capacity to accept things on less than 100% proof. Jesus asked us to believe in Him and put our faith in Him, and I do. I don't know why you have such a hard time with that, but that's your issue.
As far as extra-terrestial life, when ET lands on my front porch, I'll reevalute my religious faith. Until then, to quote Jerry Macguire, "Show me the money!"

I agree that time is subjective; ask someone who just woke from a 5 year coma what happened yesterday? [and since this is a Politics board - Please. it's a rhetorical statement there]

But, if you were able to group all activities that have ever happened into one set and look at the whole, time wouldn't matter.

eg. If your Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandma had fallen one day and twisted her ankle instead of going to the market, thereby NOT meeting your Great (to the 11th) Grandpa (who hapened to be driving through town that day only) you wouldn't be here to ask the question you posted. Things in past, present, and future are exactly as they are supposed to be and any change would instantly cause, quite simply, a new whole of existence.

So viewed from an overall point-of-view, God, or anyone who could see it all, would see all events as tied together, and Karmic, and time is irrelevant.

Forum List

Back