Time travel

Actually.....time travel IS possible. People do it every day when they re-visit memories of stuff they enjoyed.

Alzheimer's patients do it, but they don't have control over it.

But........that's just rudimentary time travel. Kinda like learning to crawl. Work on it long enough, and really cool stuff will happen.

Read "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach for reference.

Time Travel. It's a cornucopia of disturbing concepts.

Think of this; you go back in time and cause your own demise. You upset the timeline in such a way that you no longer exist. Poof you are gone. But now that you are gone in the future, you can no longer go back in time to upset the timeline. So do you magically reappear?

Well if you went back into the "past" and disturbed something a new timeline would branch off. You would not effect the current timeline.

Quote: But there is no such thing as the past or future.

I don't believe in visiting the Future
because it hasn't existed yet
but I do believe in returning to a point in time
which already occured.

Baltimore Bob

which already occured.

Baltimore Bob

Well i mean there is a theory that if you travel at light speed around the world when you get back to where you took off you will see your self taking off again. Im almost positive that it was Einstein's. But im not positive. But overall, everything is a theory. It's just a matter of belief or not.

which already occured.

Baltimore Bob

Well i mean there is a theory that if you travel at light speed around the world when you get back to where you took off you will see your self taking off again. Im almost positive that it was Einstein's. But im not positive. But overall, everything is a theory. It's just a matter of belief or not.

I think you have the right idea. According to special relativity, time would seem to pass more slowly if you traveled to some distant star and back at an incredibly high speed. If you spent seven years on this journey, for example, you'd theoretically return to earth to find that more than seven years elapsed there in your absence. Both of these measurements would be accurate, because an observer's perception of the passage of time is dependent on their velocity.

which already occured.

Baltimore Bob

I think you have the right idea. According to special relativity, time would seem to pass more slowly if you traveled to some distant star and back at an incredibly high speed. If you spent seven years on this journey, for example, you'd theoretically return to earth to find that more than seven years elapsed there in your absence. Both of these measurements would be accurate, because an observer's perception of the passage of time is dependent on their velocity.

Yes. That's the right theory. I don't think a space program has figured out how to travel at speeds with out breaking down the human body.

Last edited:

which already occured.

Baltimore Bob

Actually, studies have revealed that the farther you are away from Earth (farther up out of the gravity well), the slower time goes. The farther away you get from the gravity of the Sun, the slower it gets yet.

Time/Space continium has quite a bit to do with the 4 forces, gravity, magnetic, strong polar attraction, and weak polar attraction.

Actually, studies have revealed that the farther you are away from Earth (farther up out of the gravity well), the slower time goes.
You're speaking of general relativity. You're mostly correct, but it's the other way around. Time seems to go more slowly at a point of lower gravitation potential. That is, the severity of time dilation increases with proximity to massive bodies. Seven years spent in the vicinity of something more massive than earth would translate into more than seven years on earth.

In my post, however, I was speaking of time dilation in special relativity. Because the hypothetical ship in my last post accelerates and jumps inertial frames when it turns around, the person on it ages less than the person who remains on earth because the second person stays in the same inertial frame and is not traveling close to the speed of light.

Yes. That's the right theory. I don't think a space program has figured out how to travel at speeds with out breaking down the human body.

I'm betting it will take thousands of years for us to produce spacecraft that are capable of traveling at any significant portion of the speed of light. I guess you never know, though; a breakthrough may be right around the corner.

Of COURSE what we call "time" exists. Good GRIEF.

You are alive right now. Some day, you won't be. The "in between" is what we call "time." It exists. And you should make use of it.

Time Travel. It's a cornucopia of disturbing concepts.

Think of this; you go back in time and cause your own demise. You upset the timeline in such a way that you no longer exist. Poof you are gone. But now that you are gone in the future, you can no longer go back in time to upset the timeline. So do you magically reappear?

Well if you went back into the "past" and disturbed something a new timeline would branch off. You would not effect the current timeline.

You would probably enjoy a novel called "Replay", by Ken Grimwood. It's basic premise is to relive the same life multiple times with the small changes the main character makes to his life causing new results each time.

Marty McFly gave himself his own name 'Marty' in Back to the Future.

Happy 48th Birthday Mike:
#1 Celebrity Birthday Person for June 9th is
Michael J. Fox (I) (48) 1961
Born: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
/ Birth Name: Michael Andrew Fox / Height: 5' 4½" (1.64 m)
Mother is actress Phyllis Fox. Sister is stage (Shaw Festival) and TV actress Kelli Fox.
Adopted the ‘J’ as an homage to character actor Michael J. Pollard.
Quit high school at age 15.
Has said he regrets quitting high school as a ‘stupid youthful mistake’.
Spouse: Tracy Pollan (16 July 1988-present) 4 children
Revealed in the 7 December 1998 issue of People magazine that he was diagnosed
with Parkinson's disease in 1991.
Movie debut at age 19 in ‘Midnight Madness’ (1980) (as Michael Fox) as Scott.
1980 - Baltimore Bob states “Greatest Year in Philly Sports History”.
‘Family Ties’ TV-Series 1982-1989 as Alex P. Keaton (158 episodes, 1982-1989).
Role of Alex P. Keaton on 'Family Ties' (1982)
was originally turned down by actor Matthew Broderick.
A Baltimore Bob 1990’s favorite TV show ‘Spin City’ TV-Series 1996-2002
as Mike Flaherty (103 episodes, 1996-2001)
Baltimore Bob's favorite Trilogy 'Back to the Future' 1985, 1989, 1990.
‘Back to the Future’ (1985) as Marty McFly.
‘Back to the Future Part II’ (1989) as Marty McFly/Marty McFly Jr/Marlene McFly.
‘Back to the Future Part III’ (1990) as Marty McFly/Seamus McFly.
2009: Latest movie/Video role at age 44 in ‘Stuart Little 3: Call of the Wild’ (2005) (V)
(voice) as Stuart Little.

Baltimore Bob

There is no such thing as time travel other than one's experiencing the passage of time from the present to the future and the remembering of times gone by...except in the movies.

Likewise, there is no such thing as a perpetual motion machine.

Beaming of live organisms from one place to another will never occur.

Forum List

Back