Time to vent! Teacher will be held accountable!

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
My 8 year old who is in the third grade brought his report card home yesterday, from school. Now keep in mind this child has always been on the A/B honor roll. I am a very active parent in both of my children's classrooms and have pretty regular contact with their teacher's.

So when I saw my son's report card I flipped out! He had an F in science which is one of his better subjects, he also had a science fair project that was a large part of this grade, he got a B on the project! I guess the reason I am so pissed off about this is why if he was having a problem of some sort was I not notified either by a note or a phone call. I have told both of his teacher's on numerous occasions if he has any problems with anything, please notify me so I can work on them with him!

The funny thing is his first report card he had an 82 in science, 2nd report card he had a 92. How do you go from the highest B you can get to an F in nine weeks? All of his papers that he has brought home have been mostly A's and B's. Matter of fact his progress report he brought home 4 weeks ago said he was doing just fine in science!

I am just completly baffled here and will be going into the school come Monday morning to speak with this teacher! I am so not happy with this school district!

Here's a funny thing. There is a child that I watch who is in my son's class as well, and I have seen his paper's that he has brought home from school, they are mostly C's, D's and F's but he got a C in Science :wtf:

You know my issues with the same teaching team. I know the one teacher was pregnant, but still... isn't she supposed to do her job? Not returning phone calls, not showing up for conference time, I got the principal involved, so she actually came to a meeting. But she was all defensive. My basic message was "If you could somehow let me know what the child is doing before the tests, I could work with her." She said, "Well, we send home the newsletter every week." The newsletter says "multiplication facts." So I'm going over and over the times tables with her... 3x9, 6x8, etc. Well, she brings home a paper with a 54%. The problems were 316x4, 972x6!!!!!!!!! Well, Trinity, you have heard it all already. And I consider myself to be a very even-tempered, reasonable person.

Anyway, we can thank the Lord for maternity leave and long-term subs!

Go talk to the sub. She is GREAT!!! In the past week, I saw her once in the classroom, and have received Abbie's agenda notebook three times. She also wrote me a note, that Abbie had helped out without being asked, and said I "have a very nice daughter." (Mother's chest swells) They still have 9 weeks. He can bring up the grade, although you still have the old teacher for science.

Mr. P said:
Sounds like a transcription error to me.

That's a really big transcription error! Someone is going to have a lot of explaining to do!

mom4 said:
You know my issues with the same teaching team. I know the one teacher was pregnant, but still... isn't she supposed to do her job? Not returning phone calls, not showing up for conference time, I got the principal involved, so she actually came to a meeting. But she was all defensive. My basic message was "If you could somehow let me know what the child is doing before the tests, I could work with her." She said, "Well, we send home the newsletter every week." The newsletter says "multiplication facts." So I'm going over and over the times tables with her... 3x9, 6x8, etc. Well, she brings home a paper with a 54%. The problems were 316x4, 972x6!!!!!!!!! Well, Trinity, you have heard it all already. And I consider myself to be a very even-tempered, reasonable person.

Anyway, we can thank the Lord for maternity leave and long-term subs!

Go talk to the sub. She is GREAT!!! In the past week, I saw her once in the classroom, and have received Abbie's agenda notebook three times. She also wrote me a note, that Abbie had helped out without being asked, and said I "have a very nice daughter." (Mother's chest swells) They still have 9 weeks. He can bring up the grade, although you still have the old teacher for science.

Yeah, Don't you just love the very vague newsletters!!!

I guess I am just disgusted with the whole district, 2nd grade was bad the kid didn't learn anything, now third grade isn't much better!

Trinity said:
Yeah, Don't you just love the very vague newsletters!!!

I guess I am just disgusted with the whole district, 2nd grade was bad the kid didn't learn anything, now third grade isn't much better!

I think you have just had bad luck with teachers. This is the first year we have had problems. I just went into this whole thing with the attitude "I am responsible for my child's education." Now, the teachers, of course, need to do their jobs. But I think the kid can still make it through okay if the parent stays involved, despite bad teachers.

mom4 said:
I think you have just had bad luck with teachers. This is the first year we have had problems. I just went into this whole thing with the attitude "I am responsible for my child's education." Now, the teachers, of course, need to do their jobs. But I think the kid can still make it through okay if the parent stays involved, despite bad teachers.

Yeah I wonder sometimes why I even bother sending them to school, seeing that most of their education is coming from me!

Maybe your son has learned the fine art of changing an 'F' into a 'B'. It's not that hard, really.

Yeah I have seriously been considering private school!

Especially after going in and talking to his science teacher today.

According to her he had 4 missing assignments and a missing test that she claims she gave him, and told him to do and turn in. Well I asked her did you ask him where they were at? No she didn't,well let's see he's 8 and you give him assignments, and tell him to do them in study hall, but don't follow up on where they are! Ok fine, however why did I not recieve a note telling me these assignments were not turned in? How can I do my job as a parent when there is a problem with his assignments, if I do not know there is a problem!

God I hate this school. You know if the communication is this bad now with me having been a stay at home mom, jeez I can only imagine how bad it is going to be when I am working full time and can't get into the school at all!

What does your son say about 4 missing assignments and a missing test? Just wondering..You should have been contacted. I expect that now and mine is a HS junior. But, we are private it's much differant than public.

Mr. P said:
What does your son say about 4 missing assignments and a missing test? Just wondering..You should have been contacted. I expect that now and mine is a HS junior. But, we are private it's much differant than public.

I haven't got to discuss it with him yet. He was due in class, but we will be discussing it after school today! I will let you know his response!

-=d=- said:
It does sound fishy...but why are you so worked up over a 1/4 report card? Of an 8 year old?

I don't blame her... I'd be worked up too, especially if there were no previous signs of trouble.

To be fair, though, Trinity, you might also want to talk to your son about whether he is keeping up with his assignments, etc. I am having to have the same talk with my 5th grade daughter, who routinely forgets about big projects until the weekend before they are due.

But I still say private school is the way to go! :D

Private schools are good, if you can afford them. I teach in a public school, but I must say that while only 1 of mine was in public school, the better environment for him, it was a rule-as it is in our school, that parents be notified mid-marking period if the student is achieving under a solid 'C' OR if the teacher is noticing a 'downward slide', otherwise a grade below D is not given.

I make it a practice with jr. high kids to give mid-term grades to all the kids, letting them know IF I am sending to their parents and for what reason.

Both these teachers have had personal issues. I don't think they have carried out their duties to the best of their abilities. Maybe that is understandable, but we, as parents still have to look out for our children's educations.

I have always thought I would send my children to the same parochial school I attended, where my mother works as a secretary. But costs prohibit. I would love a voucher!

-=d=- said:
It does sound fishy...but why are you so worked up over a 1/4 report card? Of an 8 year old?

Because an F is unacceptable, especially since his first 2 report cards were B's!

Kathianne said:
Private schools are good, if you can afford them. I teach in a public school, but I must say that while only 1 of mine was in public school, the better environment for him, it was a rule-as it is in our school, that parents be notified mid-marking period if the student is achieving under a solid 'C' OR if the teacher is noticing a 'downward slide', otherwise a grade below D is not given.

I make it a practice with jr. high kids to give mid-term grades to all the kids, letting them know IF I am sending to their parents and for what reason.

That's just it he did get a mid term and his science teacher said he was doing just fine! However when I looked at her grade book this morning 2 of those missing assignments where in the 2nd and 3rd week of the grading period. mid terms came home in the 4th week! What gives?!

Mr. P said:
Sounds like it's time to meet with the Principle.
Has anyone done that?

No not yet! But if you remember I did put up a post about the principal not to long ago too! Ok well there is only 8 weeks of school left and since I am getting divorced, I think summer would be a good time to move to a better school district! I really hate to move my boy's away from their friends but at this point their education is more important then their friends!

Forum List

Back