Time to take the unemployed off the teets.

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
Sure things are bad, but there are jobs and people are not taking them. People feel they can sit home on their butts, click the remote control and a job will come through their doorway.

I was watching a tv show on the unemployed, and they are talking about all the college grads out of work. My thought is, 10-20 of you get together and start your own business. What they hell is wrong with these people?

And many people won't accept certain jobs, because they might have to move. Its, we can't move because we grew up here, our kids go to school here, the factory will be calling me back anyday, or some other excuse. People have to go where the work is, even if it is China or Japan. It is the global economy everybody wants until they go job seeking.

Cut them off, I need a few more foreclosures before things get better.

Unemployment is set to expire at the end of November, marking the end 125 weeks of benefits for over 2 million American workers.

"Conti argued that unemployment benefits are "deeply stimulative" when they aren't offset, they're the "best economic stimulus we have by a long shot."

Time running out on unemployment extension as Congress returns - The Hill's On The Money

Last edited:
Sure things are bad, but there are jobs and people are not taking them. People feel they can sit home on their butts, click the remote control and a job will come through their doorway.

I was watching a tv show on the unemployed, and they are talking about all the college grads out of work. My thought is, 10-20 of you get together and start your own business. What they hell is wrong with these people?

And many people won't accept certain jobs, because they might have to move. Its, we can't move because we grew up here, our kids go to school here, the factory will be calling me back anyday, or some other excuse. People have to go where the work is, even if it is China or Japan. It is the global economy everybody wants until they go job seeking.

Unemployment is set to expire at the end of November, marking the end 125 weeks of benefits for over 2 million American workers.

Conti argued that unemployment benefits are "deeply stimulative" when they aren't offset, they're the "best economic stimulus we have by a long shot."

Time running out on unemployment extension as Congress returns - The Hill's On The Money
Yesterday's (SUNDAY) paper had a total of 10 jobs for the whole Delmarva area. It used to have about 4 or 5 pages of jobs listed on Sunday.

As far as opening their own business---are you willing to invest in one of these ventures? Where do they get startup funds?

Conti argued that unemployment benefits are "deeply stimulative" when they aren't offset, they're the "best economic stimulus we have by a long shot."

Yesterday's (SUNDAY) paper had a total of 10 jobs for the whole Delmarva area. It used to have about 4 or 5 pages of jobs listed on Sunday.

It depends on what you can do and what the 10 jobs were.

Here are about 30 jobs in a snow bank in Alaska - http://classifieds.newsminer.com/search/results.php?q=employment&c=2&and=no&sort= Not to mention, once a resident Alaska pays you a gravy check from oil royalities to make life eaiser.

As far as opening their own business---are you willing to invest in one of these ventures? Where do they get startup funds?

20 people can put in 500-1000. a piece. Banks will loan money. Maybe you don't need start up funds. I was showing yesterday how to start a business with minimal cash and no employees. This isn't rocket science. If 20 people all share in a business they are not employees, they are owners, so they pay no employee benefits, etc. They are more like private contractors. The SBA will help people if they are willing to help themselves.

Last edited:

Most job offers have gone the way of internet posting sites such as craigslist. They are free and offer the added benefit of being able to post a job offering, use an anonymous email address to collect resumes and applications; thus avoiding the annoying telephone calls from dozens of unqualified individuals.

Unfortunately for job searchers they also allow for thousands upon thousands of responders meaning that the chances of having your resume seen let alone read are slimmer than they used to be.

Immie

Last edited:
Yeah start your own business , and fail because without enough other people having jobs who will buy your service/product?

We are in a viscious downward spiral and have not reached bottom yet.

Most job offers have gone the way of internet posting sites such as craigslist. They are free and offer the added benefit of being able to post a job offering, use an anonymous email address to collect resumes and applications; thus avoiding the annoying telephone calls from dozens of unqualified individuals.

Unfortunately for job searchers they also allow for thousands upon thousands of responders meaning that the chances of having your resume seen let alone read are slimmer than they used to be.

Immie
Have you looked at the jobs on craigslist?? The majority are scams. Very few are legitimate jobs. Yes, to someone who isn't looking for work it appears that there are countless jobs out there.

Just try answering some of them--send a test email and you'll get an automated response asking you to complete a form for a credit check or something similar. Or, do a google check of the person or email address--you'll find that they are offering the same job throughout the US.

I hate to be a hardass, but unemployment IS an insurance and nobody bargained for 125 weeks of coverage.

The nation is falling off a cliff, families are gonna have to learn how to create their own employment if they can't find a real job. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

Micro loans? There are guys in my town who have made a living for decades with a few hundred dollars worth of tools and a bicycle. Not every business has to be a yuppy friendly dream occupation. When people get hungry they learn how to really work.

Yeah start your own business , and fail because without enough other people having jobs who will buy your service/product?

A lot of people can't find work. I know that. But a whole lot more people have not begun to try. During the great depression people migrated across the country living like animals looking for a job that would simply pay them with 3 squares a day. And they would work like dogs for that, and be as honest and trustworthy as the day is long.

What people have to realize is that their previous standard of living is never coming back. They are gonna have to settle for less, maybe a LOT less.

But they aren't gonna come to terms with that until we stop paying them to be idle.

Sink or swim.

I would support tapering the benefits off gradually over the time they are offered. Walmart is hiring. My buddy got a job at a different big box store last year and is making decent money now as one of the managers.

Big government probably needs to keep our bottom 20% with some level of hope. Otherwise we will end up like Mexico. The parks departments of the world should stop hiring real qualified people and turn themselves into the welfare department.

Nothing drastic. A hiring freeze on real applicants would be fine. Start replacing with random people who are filing unemployment claims. Something akin to want benefits, come mow our highways. Then the folks who used to take these hardworking jobs as careers would be forced into the public sector where their labor amounts to something.

I would support tapering the benefits off gradually over the time they are offered. Walmart is hiring. My buddy got a job at a different big box store last year and is making decent money now as one of the managers.

Big government probably needs to keep our bottom 20% with some level of hope. Otherwise we will end up like Mexico. The parks departments of the world should stop hiring real qualified people and turn themselves into the welfare department.

Nothing drastic. A hiring freeze on real applicants would be fine. Start replacing with random people who are filing unemployment claims. Something akin to want benefits, come mow our highways. Then the folks who used to take these hardworking jobs as careers would be forced into the public sector where their labor amounts to something.

WE ARE GOING TO END UP LIKE MEXICO!

That's what globalization does!

That is what your democrats and republicans have been working toward!

As soon as you realize that you can begin to adjust. Learn to cope, devise new approaches and strategies.

Immie
Have you looked at the jobs on craigslist?? The majority are scams. Very few are legitimate jobs. Yes, to someone who isn't looking for work it appears that there are countless jobs out there.

Just try answering some of them--send a test email and you'll get an automated response asking you to complete a form for a credit check or something similar. Or, do a google check of the person or email address--you'll find that they are offering the same job throughout the US.

I'm unemployed now. I have been using craigslist, careerbuilder, monster and hotjobs until they became affiliated with monster. Yes, I have been using craigslist and yes, there are scams. However, I seem to get better results from craigslist than I do any of the others. I've gotten more interviews from craigslist.

Yes, occasionally you get the one that wants you to fill out the application online... my suggestion, avoid those like the plague.

Immie

It depends on what you do. When life offers you lemons, make lemon aide. Do you know what that means?

I hired a home inspector for $350.00 for 3.5 hours. He works according to a set of standards that he learned in an 8 hour crash course. He clearing writes in the report. We are "generalists," and not licensed Constractors by the State of California. He has been been doing 2 houses a day, or about $800.00 a day, 5600. a week, 22,400. a month, for his skills. Just about anyone can run an ad in a paper and go to work immediately inspecting homes for real estate brokers. He had about $50. worth of tools on him, and a ladder in his truck. He doesn't do roofs or attics, or pests. That is other inspectors you hire. He writes up a hard copy report with a pretty pic of the house on the cover, and zips me the report. That's it!!

Yesterday I explained how to start your own Mexican delivery service with nothing more than a home phone. It would probably work for Italian as well.

You have to take advantage of opportunitys found in the downward spiral. That is all there is to it. People lost their cars, so start a business deliverying their groceries to them for $20. bucks. People have to eat, mostly cheap fast food, so start a home delivery. People losing homes, become a realtor or inspector. Be an appraiser for a Mortage company. Lemons = Lemon aide

I bought a nice looking Buddha statute from a guy who was cleaver enough to be selling his wares at a fast food drive through. He wasn't sitting at home having a garage sale, he went where a lot of people with money pass by. Smart dude.

Here is jobs: International Job Opportunities: Work Abroad - Employment Opportunities Abroad at GoAbroad.com

Last edited:
This is a 13 trillion dollar a year economy and there are people in it..like Bill Gates worth some 54 billion dollars. You have the financial industry causing a huge debacle to which tax payers had to pony up some big money to save their worthless asses.

But somehow we don't have enough money to keep people from living on catfood and out of cardboard boxes..

Oh gosh.

This is a 13 trillion dollar a year economy and there are people in it..like Bill Gates worth some 54 billion dollars. You have the financial industry causing a huge debacle to which tax payers had to pony up some big money to save their worthless asses.

But somehow we don't have enough money to keep people from living on catfood and out of cardboard boxes..

Oh gosh.

Loss of 99 weeks of unemployment benefit=living on catfood and out of cardboard boxes.
Are you insane??

Immie

I'm unemployed now. I have been using craigslist, careerbuilder, monster and hotjobs until they became affiliated with monster. Yes, I have been using craigslist and yes, there are scams. However, I seem to get better results from craigslist than I do any of the others. I've gotten more interviews from craigslist.

Yes, occasionally you get the one that wants you to fill out the application online... my suggestion, avoid those like the plague.

Immie

I don't know your skill levels. How about you buy 4 different colors of spray paint and some 6" stencils, and go door to door paint the address on the curb. Old people need it because when they are in an emergency situation, they need someone fast to find them & get them to the hospital. You should be able to generate $20. a house, and 5 houses a block if you are any kind of salesmen at all.

Times are hard, people are having their homes broken into. Their address is in the paper. Contact them with a simple security camera outfit for the front and rear doors. Easy to install and hook to any TV monitor. Sell it for a few hundred over what it costs you for the unit. Lemons = Lemon aide.

If possible work for yourself, and deal mostly in cash.

They have new thingy starting up fixing duel pane windows that get cloudy. The company working out of Canada is looking for sales/workers to install their products. It is simple. Drill 2 holes in the inside window and insert a little .50 plastic valve. They are getting 1/2 the price of what the duel pane window sells for. I was quoted two thousand for 9 window fixes. It would take you about an hour to read up the data of what to do & why. Buy yourself some valves & drills and sell them yourself using their ads to show how mush less you charge for the same service.

Also security for empty homes, working for a bank or mortage company. Maintaining yards for empty homes for sale, for sellers or realators. Geeze, I have seen thousands of dollars in dead & dying trees and landscaping. If I lock onto a sale I take pics of the yard, and explain to the sellers if it is dead when we finish up, I will want it replaced. This keeps water & timers running.

Last edited:

On point number one. Companies no longer use the newspaper to run want ads. Newspaper sub rates have dropped precipitously in the last few years while ad rates have increased. Ads for jobs are now found on sites such as careerbuilder.com or monster.com
I am gainfully employed but still have a subscription to careerbuilder. Twice a week I get an email with no fewer than 75 ads. And that is just in my selected field.
Funding needed is based on the type of business. That is no excuse. That is whining.

"Conti argued that unemployment benefits are "deeply stimulative" when they aren't offset, they're the "best economic stimulus we have by a long shot."

I say yes, in exchange for jobs, suspend environmental lawsuits and environmental impact studies, build coal burning power plants in los angeles, let industry return by dropping tax to 10% and eliminating all fees for building permits, eliminate all fees for licenses. No cost to open a business.

It takes at least six months of unemployment to pay back what I pay in tax every year.

I will trade, quit taking my tax money and I will gladly get rid of unemployment. Get rid of them both with the same bill.

How about we start by getting ourselves off the teet? I highly doubt everyone hear is not taking anything from the government. And we dont have to take what the government offers. We can choose to be independent.

Forum List

Back