Time to sue The Journal News- Guns and Permits Stolen from man published in Journal

Only a complete loon would come up with that association. One is direct causation under the law (my assertion), the other is based on a false presumption attributed to a specific agenda, (your assumption).
Now if a weapons manufacturer made a defective product then they are liable. Do you sue mattress manufacturers because children die accidentally in beds? Do you sue pool manufacturers because children accidentally drown in pools? Do you sue automakers because someone "snaps" or loses control due to their own misuse of the product and drives through a group of people? No.

Yes, logically the association is moot. However, I do believe the point of the post is how is publishing public information liable and culpable? And if it is, where is the line drawn between personal choices (the choice to commit a crime) and access to tools to commit a crime? is it not all personal responsibility?

I dont think the question is soooo looney... but then again, i tend to be looney!

Reckless endangerment. By posting said names and addresses the Journal, de facto, provided criminals with a potential "shopping list". Smart criminals, professionals, know how to properly case a house and it's occupants and wait for the opportune time to commit their crime.
Also many of those listed are former or current law enforcement who have enemies, perps who have no love for those who put them away. Again, reckless endangerment.

OK, I see that. And perhaps it is irresponsible to push the publicly available information for easy access. The same could be said for reporting on how a bomb was made or how a thief gained access or predicting why an assassination might occur. No?

Yes, logically the association is moot. However, I do believe the point of the post is how is publishing public information liable and culpable? And if it is, where is the line drawn between personal choices (the choice to commit a crime) and access to tools to commit a crime? is it not all personal responsibility?

I dont think the question is soooo looney... but then again, i tend to be looney!

Reckless endangerment. By posting said names and addresses the Journal, de facto, provided criminals with a potential "shopping list". Smart criminals, professionals, know how to properly case a house and it's occupants and wait for the opportune time to commit their crime.
Also many of those listed are former or current law enforcement who have enemies, perps who have no love for those who put them away. Again, reckless endangerment.

OK, I see that. And perhaps it is irresponsible to push the publicly available information for easy access. The same could be said for reporting on how a bomb was made or how a thief gained access or predicting why an assassination might occur. No?
If a crime is committed and it can be tied to the person(s)/organization(s) responsible for publishing said information then there might be a case. The problem with that is publishing (posting on the internet or in print) how do do something doesn't necessarily equate to culpability.
It's somewhat different with something what like the Journal did, nuances and applications of law. Also just because the Journal might be sued still doesn't mean the suit would be successful, again, nuances and applications of law.

The liability requires more than merely a defective pool, it requires that the defect cause or contribute to the drowning (or other form of death, like diving into a pool with mislabelled depth and breaking your neck)

Oh, I should have included negligence in my statement also. My bad.
That wouldn't necessarily be the fault of the manufacturer but, most likely, the fault of the installer.

Well at any rate this is what its good to carry liability insurance and lots of it.

We don't need no stinking liability insurance......
Oh wait.... yes we do...... :eek: :mad:

New York newspaper removes gun permit database

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – A suburban New York City newspaper has removed the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits from its website.

Publication of the permit data following last month's school shooting massacre in Newtown, Conn. produced a storm of outrage from gun owners. It also quickly resulted in a new state measure meant to protect permit holders' privacy.

The president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group announced the move Friday. Janet Hasson said the new law does not require removing the data, but "doing so complies with its spirit."

Read more: New York newspaper removes gun permit database from website after outcry | Fox News

why would you sue a newspaper for publishing public records? that would be like a bank suing the newspaper for publishing their advertisement and then getting robbed.

ladygunslinger? more like 'ladydumbfuckingmoron.'

Last edited:
why would you sue a newspaper for publishing public records? that would be like a bank suing the newspaper for publishing their advertisement and then getting robbed.

so important it's worth posting twice.

Last edited:

Unfortunately some of those "public records" should never have been public. Specifically those who have restraining orders on record and have relocated and purchased weapons to protect themselves and current or retired law enforcement personnel. The Journal acted recklessly for obvious political reasons. They have now removed the database from their website and given some lame excuse as to why it was removed.

Is it public record if you are a single woman? Why yes it is, marriage and divorce records are public record.

So should a newspaper list the home addresses of all single women in the paper? Do you think that might cause an issue for those looking to take advantage of a woman or those who prey upon women?

Unfortunately some of those "public records" should never have been public. Specifically those who have restraining orders on record and have relocated and purchased weapons to protect themselves and current or retired law enforcement personnel. The Journal acted recklessly for obvious political reasons. They have now removed the database from their website and given some lame excuse as to why it was removed.

are the records public or not? if they're public, then they're public. don't buy a gun if you don't want to have to register it. or you know, do a strawman purchase, as the nra would prefer.

or are you saying that the newspaper should have combed through all the publicly available records to cross-check them court records for restraining orders?

CaféAuLait;6678085 said:
New York newspaper removes gun permit database

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. – A suburban New York City newspaper has removed the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits from its website.

Publication of the permit data following last month's school shooting massacre in Newtown, Conn. produced a storm of outrage from gun owners. It also quickly resulted in a new state measure meant to protect permit holders' privacy.

The president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group announced the move Friday. Janet Hasson said the new law does not require removing the data, but "doing so complies with its spirit."

Read more: New York newspaper removes gun permit database from website after outcry | Fox News

Journal News hacks finally admit (kinda) that they fucked up.

Clarkstown police said they had no evidence the burglary was connected to the controversial map.

"The burglary is still under investigation, and there are no facts to support this correlation at this time," Clarkstown Sgt. Joanne Fratianni said in a statement.

I guess the Rightyloons have something to blame every crime on for the next 10 years. Never let a tragedy go to waste.

It is not surprising that you excuse this type of criminal behavior.

To the lefties the real criminal here is the homeowner.
First for working hard...After all Obama made fun of people like that.

“If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen”

Secondly the homeowner took personal responsibility and made the effort to protect life and property.

How dare he do that.

And the For those who might actually be looking for some facts. There is no evidence of any kind that this has anything to do with the newspaper. Anything to the contrary is just made up crap.

and for the gunowners, the lesson here is obtain your guns off the grid, if not you are subject to invasion of privacy via FOIA and may be burglarized. No more registering, do what the criminals do, stay off grid.

Forum List

Back