Time To Pull Out of Olympics

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I think we should just get out of the Olympics. IF we are attacked on our own soil again, we will not pull a Spain. However, I see no reason for us to give a venue for either possible attacks or certain villification:

washingtonpost.com
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42546-2004May20.html

Police Destroy Bomb Found Near Olympic Venue
Associated Press
Thursday, May 20, 2004; 1:08 PM

ATHENS -- Police destroyed a small time bomb found near a major complex for the Olympics.

The device, blown apart Wednesday in a controlled explosion, appeared similar to alarm clock-triggered bombs that damaged an Athens police station May 5, police said.

The bomb was found along one of the city's main roadways about a half-mile from the second-largest Olympic sports complex, a seaside venue set to stage baseball, basketball and field hockey events.

The group Revolutionary Struggle claimed responsibility for the three blasts earlier this month in a declaration that denounced the stringent security measures for the Aug. 13-29 games.

Authorities have been on high alert since the bombings -- which caused minor damage and no injuries -- but say local extremists pose no serious security threat for the Olympics.

About 70,000 police officers and soldiers will patrol Athens and Olympic venues during the games.

© 2004 The Associated Press

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Especially in light of not only those that hate us, but that we should bow down to the mantra of 'Why they hate us'...Altogether now , 'Because it's our fault!'

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040516-121028-9603r.htm

The Washington Times
www.washingtontimes.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. athletes told to cool it at Olympics
By Simon Hart
LONDON SUNDAY TELEGRAPH
Published May 16, 2004

NEW YORK -- American athletes have been warned not to wave the U.S. flag during their medal celebrations at this summer's Olympic Games in Athens, for fear of provoking crowd hostility and harming the country's already-battered public image.

The spectacle of victorious athletes grabbing a national flag and parading it around the stadium is a familiar part of international sporting competition, but U.S. Olympic officials have ordered their 550-strong team to exercise restraint and avoid any jingoistic behavior.

The plan is part of a charm offensive aimed at repairing the country's international reputation after the deepening crisis in Iraq and damaging revelations of the mistreatment of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. forces at the Abu Ghraib prison.

"American athletes find themselves in extraordinary circumstances in Athens in relation to the world as we know it right now," said Mike Moran, a veteran former spokesman for the United States Olympic Committee who has been retained as a consultant to advise athletes how to behave.

"Regardless of whether there is anti-American sentiment in Athens or not, the world watches Americans a lot now in terms of how they behave and our culture. What I am trying to do with the athletes and coaches is to suggest to them that they consider how the normal things they do at an event, including the Olympics, might be viewed as confrontational or insulting or cause embarrassment."

Four years ago at the Sydney Olympics, members of the victorious American 400-meter relay team were widely condemned for strutting with the U.S. flag after their gold medal presentation. American officials, mindful of the country's precarious standing in world opinion, are desperate to avoid any repeat.

"Unfortunately, using the flag as a prop or a piece of apparel or indulging in boasting behavior is becoming part of our society in sport because every night on TV we see our athletes -- professional, college or otherwise -- taunting their opponents and going face-to-face with each other," Mr. Moran said. "We are trying for 17 days to break that culture.

"What I am telling the athletes is, 'Don't run over and grab a flag and take it round the track with you.' It's not business as usual for American athletes. If a Kenyan or a Russian grabs their national flag and runs round the track or holds it high over their heads, it might not be viewed as confrontational. Where we are in the world right now, an American athlete doing that might be viewed in another manner."

Mr. Moran added that the behavior of British athletes could face similar scrutiny in Athens, though the British Olympic Association insists there are no plans to ban them from celebrating with the Union flag.

"It's up to every athlete how he or she wishes to celebrate their Olympic success, and there are no plans to issue any instructions," a spokesman for the association said. "We are confident that every athlete will celebrate in a responsible way."

The USOC's anxiety at overexuberant displays of jingoism is a far cry from scenes at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, where the American flag became the defining symbol of the Games.

A different environment awaits the American team in Athens, where officials are anxious to replace apple pie with humble pie.

Americans were booed at the World Athletics Championships in Paris last year largely because of Jon Drummond's histrionic protest at his disqualification from a heat of the 100 meters. Also, at an Olympic soccer qualifying match in Mexico earlier this year, the American team was subjected to sustained razzing by a section of the crowd, including chants of "Osama, Osama!"

"We're not the favorite kid in the world right now," conceded Bill Martin, the USOC's acting president. "We are sensitive not only to the security issue, but to jingoism in its raw sense. That is why we are sending people around to educate the athletes as to the appropriate behavior."

Copyright © 2004 News World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.

I was wondering if anybody was going to start a thread on this subject. I wanted to, but my take is the same as yours and so, I figured I would get jumped on by folks saying stuff like:

"If we don't go, that is just what the terrorists would want!"

My take on it is this:

By far, Americans spend more money attending Olympic venues than ANY other country. Since the world is afraid of us showing our pride, let's just keep our money home!

Originally posted by freeandfun1
By far, Americans spend more money attending Olympic venues than ANY other country. Since the world is afraid of us showing our pride, let's just keep our money home!

No way. I want us there. I want us winning more medals than everyone else. I want them to boo us every time our anthem is played. I want to see our flag, unlike every other flag in the opening procession, not dip.

Besides I like the Olympics. I prefer the Winter Games, but the Summer Games have good events too. Unfortunately the TV coverage will be awful; basketball (don't we have enough already?), gymnastics, and speed walking.

What I would like to see, but never do, is the javelin, shot put, pole vaulting (keep your eyes peeled for the polish women's pole vaulter, wow wee), equestrian, discus (is there even that event anymore?), anything wrestling/martial arts related.

Events they should have (for all I know they do have half these, but you wouldn't know it by watching the TV):

Lawn darts (or jarts)
Croquete (sp.?)
Cricket
Jai alai
Golf
Marksmanship
Anything from the Lumberjack games
Anything from the Strongest Man in the World competition
Football (american)
Slow pitch softball
Some kind of obstacle course
Paintball (that would be awesome)
Mountainbiking
Land luge
Skateboarding
Speed skating with inlines

I could go on forever

Well as a Greek I say its the absolute wrong thing to do. Sure this is the riskiest Olympic games ever but lets say you are an athelete whose spent the last 4 years training everyday for these games and our government decides to pull out and let the terrorists win, who gets screwed? Fuck all that shit, lets go and kick some ass in the birthplace of the Olympic games. There has never been a more fitting site for the Olympic games than Greece, never.

Hopefully medal count will be split evenly between U.S. and Greece :D Just wishful thinking:p:

Originally posted by OCA
Well as a Greek I say its the absolute wrong thing to do. Sure this is the riskiest Olympic games ever but lets say you are an athelete whose spent the last 4 years training everyday for these games and our government decides to pull out and let the terrorists win, who gets screwed? Fuck all that shit, lets go and kick some ass in the birthplace of the Olympic games. There has never been a more fitting site for the Olympic games than Greece, never.

Hopefully medal count will be split evenly between U.S. and Greece :D Just wishful thinking:p:

Then they should not tell us "do not celebrate too much". I know we are going, so I hope our atheletes ignore the "advice" and celebrate like hell when they win!

i'm with zhukov, we should go, we should host, we should cheer. not only should we not be intimidated, the olympics represents international brotherhood and cooperation (and competition), something we say we are working towards.

ps. I want my lawndarts back, it's not my fault some folks can't handle the responsibility!

Correct. Listen that is just some asshole liberal in our Olympic federation saying that dumbass shit. Rational people know the difference between an athletic victory celebration and talking shit. No matter what country you are from you win lets say the 100 meters you deserve to grab the flag and take a victory lap for being the fastest sumbitch on Earth.

As a sidenote my Grandparents who have since emigrated here have a house they rent out directly on the marathon route, could go and sit on the deck and throw water on those guys if I want but my gut instinct says some serious shit is going to go down in August and I don't want to be caught in the middle of it. All this crap the Greek government is saying about the bombs and domestic terrorist groups is bullshit, there has only really ever been 1 effective domestic group, November 17, and they were busted up for good a couple years back. Uh uh this is Al Qaeda letting us know they are already in the country and all the security in the world wasn't able to keep them out.

If i'm wrong and nothing happens I will be the first to say I was wrong and be glad that I was wrong.

Originally posted by Kathianne
I think we should just get out of the Olympics. IF we are attacked on our own soil again, we will not pull a Spain. However, I see no reason for us to give a venue for either possible attacks or certain villification:

I somewhat agree. It does present a hazard and "making a statement" at these games is not worth losing a life. But we have athletes who have devoted years of strenuous effort to achieving their olympic dream and it would be wrong to deprive them of the opportunity to participate.

I say, advise the athletes of the hazard. Recommend that they pass up these games. But for those who want to accept the risk and go, let them. Then it's up to us to do the best we can to provide sufficient security to assure that they return safely.

I agree with what you've wrote, one caveate, the DOS should advise against Americans going to Greece during this period.

I say we stay. I dont want President Bush to be known as the only other President other than Carter to keep our guys out of the Olympics after they have trained so hard. We need the olympics. Besides if we dont go the media wont care as much and will start focusing on the campaign more. I dont want to see anythin about politics those two weeks.

You know Avatar, I wish your wish comes true.
I dont want to see anythin about politics those two weeks.

I don't think it will be Americans going on about politics, at least not in Greece.

Zhukov and I are thinking exactly alike on this one.

Whether we bow out or not, they will still hate us and try to kill us. So we might as well go down having a hell of a lot of fun, which also has the bonus of pissing off the entire world!

I think if we pull out of the games the terrorist have already won.We cant tuck our tail and run and allow them to dictate what we do as Americans.

Forum List

Back