Time to get rid of the TSA

Passenger safety on private airlines should be in the hands of and paid for by the private businesses and they should be held responsible for any acclaim or aw shits.

Beef up the private security--I have no problem with that. But what we're funding is cosmetic and impotent.

and Lazy and Overpaid and i could go on and on! :clap2:

Whatever; they could be triathletes and super models staffing the positions and it would be just as ineffective. Must you always make personal attacks?

Beef up the private security--I have no problem with that. But what we're funding is cosmetic and impotent.

Whatever; they could be triathletes and super models staffing the positions and it would be just as ineffective. Must you always make personal attacks?

Huh? i am making a OBSERVATION you moron. it is something that i witness on a regular basis! it is TRUE! they sit and watch TV and play with there phones 80% of their work day!!!!! $20 an HOUR for that kind of WORK is being Fucking OVERPAID!!!!!

Huh? i am making a OBSERVATION you moron. it is something that i witness on a regular basis! it is TRUE! they sit and watch TV and play with there phones 80% of their work day!!!!! $20 an HOUR for that kind of WORK is being Fucking OVERPAID!!!!!

Been in a dozen airports this year; not one had a TV set going at any checkpoint. If they are texting, they're not doing it at DFW, Skyharbor, Hartsfield, LAX, SFO, or IAH.

Incorrect the "war" on terrorism will never end.
However I do think that private industry should provide for it's own security.

If/when we have another terrorist incident the right will be just like before crying "Keep us safe" Make the patriot act permanent. "You have nothing to fear from them unless you are doing something wrong".
And yes that last one is a quote heard from multiple right wingers supporting the partiot act when it was first brought up.

I actually don't mind having to take my shoes off--it's a small price to pay for security and we do know that it is a vehicle to transport explosives. Lets get real.

The question is effectiveness.

If you're going to have a body like the TSA, you need to make it almost totalitarian in it's approach and scale; otherwise it's worthless.

And given that a plane from London, Paris, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Singapore, or as close as Mexico City, can do the same damage any of the planes on 9/11 did, we're kidding ourselves into thinking that by strip searching granny we're making ourselves safer.

The TSA needs to go away or become the 6th branch of the defense department. Anything inbetween is a failure and given that the stomach for creating a 6th branch is nil, bye bye.

Would getting rid of the TSA mean we would not have to go through the same security checkpoints and go through the same scrutiny? No......If you are going to fly, you will still need to be checked

So, what does getting rid of the TSA accomplish?

Underwear bombs have been tried more than shoe bombs. Everyone should be required to strip and hand over their panties and tighty whities. Meanwhile, the TSA can be bought and has been bribed. They are cosmetic, make you think that something is being done when nothing is being done.

Carry on bombs can't compete with implanted bombs. That's the next evolution.

Incorrect the "war" on terrorism will never end.
However I do think that private industry should provide for it's own security.

If/when we have another terrorist incident the right will be just like before crying "Keep us safe" Make the patriot act permanent. "You have nothing to fear from them unless you are doing something wrong".
And yes that last one is a quote heard from multiple right wingers supporting the partiot act when it was first brought up.

I actually don't mind having to take my shoes off--it's a small price to pay for security and we do know that it is a vehicle to transport explosives. Lets get real.

The question is effectiveness.

If you're going to have a body like the TSA, you need to make it almost totalitarian in it's approach and scale; otherwise it's worthless.

And given that a plane from London, Paris, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Singapore, or as close as Mexico City, can do the same damage any of the planes on 9/11 did, we're kidding ourselves into thinking that by strip searching granny we're making ourselves safer.

The TSA needs to go away or become the 6th branch of the defense department. Anything inbetween is a failure and given that the stomach for creating a 6th branch is nil, bye bye.

I actually don't mind having to take my shoes off-

I do............If I want or desire to be treated as a criminal, I will commit a crime.

Your papers, I must zee your papers. Americans turning into pussies as each day goes by.

Shorter lines...Infants coming off the no fly list.

Sneaky little terrorists.............

We would still have to go through the same inspections

How so? Metal detectors do the job. Those scary terrorist guns the left complained about went national and now just about every police force issues them.......

Metal detectors were obsolete shortly after 9-11.

You can ban TSA but they will just be replaced by Private Security firms doing the same thing

Would getting rid of the TSA mean we would not have to go through the same security checkpoints and go through the same scrutiny? No......If you are going to fly, you will still need to be checked

So, what does getting rid of the TSA accomplish?

For sure the ridiculous costs associated with the TSA are taken off of the tax payers in the country and placed back onto the flying public and the airlines. Those using the system pay for it.

Beyond that there is much that can be improved and you can have a much more nimble security appartaus. If United flies from, lets say LAX to EWR, instead of having a United screener at both major airports, the airlines have a partnership as to where they pay for the screeing together.

Conversely, where you have few airlines at a smaller city, perhaps the local airports can pay for the screeners to entice the airlines to continue to serve the city.

Additionally, by shifting the burden back to where it belongs, you can actually get into criminal profiling instead of the random screenings of every 8th passenger or worrying about 3.5 fluid ounce containers of contact lens cleaners.

Put some of the money you were spending, in part to beefed up air marshalls. Show a little leg on some well traveled routes and the message may get out that there are marshalls on more flights than there are in reality.

The greatest weakness of the TSA apparatus is that cargo is almost unchecked in total and private aviation is rarely checked.

Give this a quick scan:

Private Plane, Public Menace - Jeffrey Goldberg - The Atlantic

Safety is relative of course. No force on earth can make us totally safe. So I think we should ask are we "safer" with the TSA. The answer has to be no. So why spend the money?

Some of you have managed to hit every HOT button I have. Israel has the highest terror threat in the world and they don't strip search passengers. They don't confiscate nail files and trimmers. They don't need to. When you buy a ticket to fly you get a background check. If you have been to anywhere suspicious then you are screened further. If you have been a good little boy or girl then you don't have any problems. Since I have been background checked - for a few different things - I would have no problem getting on a plane. With the TSA I have to half strip, take off my leg (artificial), and submit to a touchy-feely search into my nether regions.
I am not sure what happened to the fourth amendment but if they did the same thing to the first amendment or the second amendment there would be no place they could hide.
As for making you safer... Are you kidding me? they have never found a terrorist threat before it got on a plane - even then it was the passengers that alerted the stewardess that the guy was acting weird.
They claim that all the nail files and small pocket knives and pens and pencils that they have confiscated are all weapons.
Who was it that said, "anyone who trades their rights for security has neither"? one our founding fathers. What happened to feeling secure in our persons, papers and effects? What happened to needing a warrant that expressly names who or what is to be searched and who or what is to be seized? This has nothing to do with safety. It has to do with our God given rights being taken away by politicians who think they can over-ride God.
A search like that would never stand up in court - the criminal would get off scott free because it is an unlawful ( that is different than illegal) search. The TSA violates your fourth amendment rights and you feel good about it? What kind of moron feels good about losing one of the most important rights you have? If you want to stop a terrorist threat on airplanes then arm all the passengers. No terrorist would try to take a plane where any one of the passengers could put an end to his act before he could terrorize anyone.
TSA - oh yea, they are just another step toward 1939 Germany.
The bill of rights is supposed to be protected by those who represent us - oh, they are too busy representing themselves and gaining power and money to worry about us.
We ought to do away with the lot of them! we don't need somebody to represent us - we can do that by email or any number of other on-line services.

Considering how much money we owe and how little they do, the TSA should be tops on the list of organizations to get rid of, along with Homeland security or the FBI and CIA, I just don't think we need all three. Also the Federal Department of Education didn't exist before Clinton and hasn't done a thing since Clinton, there's another big waste of our tax dollars.

The TSA is a total waste of money. We have all heard the anecdotes of the very young and the very old getting screened for bombs or whatever. What many have not heard is that almost zero air freight relative to the number of tons moved per year is screened. We also have not heard about the threats to the aircraft itself from within.

It's a total waste and it's time for it to go.

The problem is when you create such a large, bloated government bureaucracy it's damn near impossible to get rid of because too many people start benefiting from it.

Forum List

Back