Time to Get Out of Russian Markets?

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
I took the advice of an acquaintance to get into the Russian markets. He told me about RSX, RUSL (bull) and RUSS (bear) ETF about almost two years ago. Initially, when Russia invaded Ukraine, the wealthy in the US became upset and punished Putin. They were able to lower the value of Russian oil holdings. This happened for about six months. During this time, I invested what I could afford to lose in RUSL and I did not expect the roller coaster ride. Right off the bat, it went up for a couple of days and then steadily and drastically fell. I should've known better. In-between, I found out RUSL was for day-traders. However, I held on to the RUSL. Now, it's up quite a bit from what I bought it for. Should I sell and invest in RSX or some national, i.e. US ETFs for oil? What are good oil mutual funds (safer, more steady) and what should I read on the US oil markets? I'm also interested in gold because of my Russian acquaintance, but that's another roller coaster.

Oh my god dude...get out. Now. Investing in American based companies, futures, etc., is hard enough as it is. Dabbling in the Russian market is super high risk, especially right now. You're lucky you're up. Take your profits and get out.

Oh my god dude...get out. Now. Investing in American based companies, futures, etc., is hard enough as it is. Dabbling in the Russian market is super high risk, especially right now. You're lucky you're up. Take your profits and get out.

When you get right down to it, it's still commodities which is a different animal from the regular stock market. One has to be ahead of the curve and avoid conventional thinking. Conventional thinking is based on past news. Not future ones. What's the conventional thinking today? Oil is still primed to go up. Now, this isn't anything that much different from two years ago short of major invasions or political upheaval. With the Russian market, the rich there were afraid and were diversifying into US markets. Putin appealed to their nationalism and to keep their faith and money in "the Motherland." Same for Chinese investors. Now, they're starting to dump which is what I should do.

I would guess that the US markets would follow with oil commodities.

Last edited:
I think the advice you received about russia was meant for a short term trade (as you said its for day traders) if your looking for slow and steady i would look for an ETF that tracks the S&P 500, especially if you're looking to hold onto it for more than a few years, rather than commodities like oil and gold. Emerging debt markets are great bet right now too

I think the advice you received about russia was meant for a short term trade (as you said its for day traders) if your looking for slow and steady i would look for an ETF that tracks the S&P 500, especially if you're looking to hold onto it for more than a few years, rather than commodities like oil and gold. Emerging debt markets are great bet right now too

Thanks, that sounds practical and sound. I guess I did it based on this guy I know (and a couple of good friends who get into commodiities sometimes). Also taking a big risk. It's based on tracking trends and reading current events. No one knows what the price of oil and gold or any commoditiy will be tomorrow. I can see its appeal.

Forum List

Back