Time to get health care right once and for all

No healthcare will ever be efficient and reasonable unless big pharma is reigned in, regulated and brought under control.

Too much regulation is the problem now. MORE doesn't fix it.

Things need to be DEREGULATED and free markets will take care of the rest.
"Regulation" is a misused term for bureaucratic and administrative "law and order". Sure, there is to much, but in other cases there is not enough. Lawmakers and government agencies do not do their jobs in reviewing and rescinding regulations when they outgrow their usefulness. Politics and ideology play a major role in place of simple efficiency and the government job to protect citizens.
There is just no valid reason why the a drug is sold in the US for $135 when it can be obtained in other countries for $15. I use a prescription eye medicine, drops, to balance my eye pressure. I get tested several times a year but take the drug daily. The cost is $135 for a month supply. My co-pay is $35 and my insurance pays the rest. I get the same product in Europe, manufactured under US license for $15. An additional saving is that I do not have to have a doctors visit to get a prescription. The drug is obtained by simply walking into a pharmacy and asking for it. BTW, I know it works because my test results are the same when I am using the medication I purchased in Europe.
Everytime someone purchases that drug in America they are feeding big pharma with taxpayer funds or insurance company funds.
That overcharge of $135, goes to pay the $multi-million salary of a drug company CEO.

Read it and weep:

Paycheck envy? Check out how much pharma and health care CEOs made last year

Last edited:
Do people who never earned more than 15k a year deserve a multi-million dollar heart transplant operation to keep alive?
Back to you???
How many hundreds or thousands of dollars do you spend on someone's healthcare who never, in their life, made more than 15k a year?
And what if they never earned more than $30k a year or more than $50k a year? That certainly means nothing when you are talking about a MULTI MILLION dollar medical situation...

So what is your point?

If you are poor, you don't deserve to live?
We can't give everyone in the country, much less the world, top of the line medical care and not go bankrupt. So yes. If you can't afford it you don't get it.
We can give everyone in this country, the basic care that every human being deserves, including treating all the different cancer and heart disease, and kidney disease and mental illness treatment etc...

The wealthier, will have their advantage plans that they can buy in to that gives them even better benefits and better choices, and the wealthiest will be able to fly to where the best doctor is for their illness, and get the best doctor to treat them, and have the best of the best cancer treatment in a well known successful cancer treatment center, etc...

And if this were something like medicare insurance, it could be a payroll tax, like 2% of your income and the company matching it where everyone has a stake in the game....and no more healthcare premiums to pay, just 20% of the Doctor bills... you cut off 25% of our health care costs by cutting out the middle man, the paper shufflers, the health insurance companies...

And they can move more in to the supplemental insurance business that picks up the 20% of our costs... or specialty insurance like Cancer Insurance, or eye care insurance...these corporations are diversified now anyway, they have other businesses under the same corporate umbrella that can be expanded.

No healthcare will ever be efficient and reasonable unless big pharma is reigned in, regulated and brought under control.

"Regulation" is a misused term for bureaucratic and administrative "law and order". Sure, there is to much, but in other cases there is not enough. Lawmakers and government agencies do not do their jobs in reviewing and rescinding regulations when they outgrow their usefulness. Politics and ideology play a major role in place of simple efficiency and the government job to protect citizens.
There is just no valid reason why the a drug is sold in the US for $135 when it can be obtained in other countries for $15. I use a prescription eye medicine, drops, to balance my eye pressure. I get tested several times a year but take the drug daily. The cost is $135 for a month supply. My co-pay is $35 and my insurance pays the rest. I get the same product in Europe, manufactured under US license for $15. An additional saving is that I do not have to have a doctors visit to get a prescription. The drug is obtained by simply walking into a pharmacy and asking for it. BTW, I know it works because my test results are the same when I am using the medication I purchased in Europe.
Everytime someone purchases that drug in America they are feeding big pharma with taxpayer funds or insurance company funds.
That overcharge of $135, goes to pay the $multi-million salary of a drug company CEO.
Ciprodex is a common ear drop medication to treat ear infections. Ear infections are common with children. Not treating the infection can easily lead to a lifetime of deafness. That can translate into a lifetime of disability and all the cost associated with a disability, including various forms of public taxpayer cost. So, the drug supplier has the kid and society in its clutches. Get the drug for the cost demanded by the manufacturer or deal with a million dollar in future expenses in addition to making some little kid suffer needlessly while his or her ear rots into uselessness. The cost of Ciprodex, an anti-biotic, $254 in the USA. Cost if purchased in Canada, $55.

You're actually PROVING my point. The reason the drug costs you more here is because of government regulations. I won't deny that "Big Pharma" is exploiting the system but again, that's due to the power of government which is there to exploit. Take away the power and they can't exploit it. Remove the regulatory mandates and let the free market prevail.

The problem with PRICE is always related to government meddling in the market. When you remove the government from the equation, free market competition and consumer choice brings prices down. If you don't have the government picking winners and losers or politicians being bought by lobbyists, all "Big Pharma" can do is offer you a product at a price you are voluntarily willing to pay.

You're actually PROVING my point. The reason the drug costs you more here is because of government regulations. I won't deny that "Big Pharma" is exploiting the system but again, that's due to the power of government which is there to exploit. Take away the power and they can't exploit it. Remove the regulatory mandates and let the free market prevail.

The problem with PRICE is always related to government meddling in the market. When you remove the government from the equation, free market competition and consumer choice brings prices down. If you don't have the government picking winners and losers or politicians being bought by lobbyists, all "Big Pharma" can do is offer you a product at a price you are voluntarily willing to pay.
Your reasoning is off.
The same drugs from the same manufacturer are sold cheaper in other countries. Under Bush they were not allowed to bargain with drug companies on prices.

Your reasoning is off.
The same drugs from the same manufacturer are sold cheaper in other countries. Under Bush they were not allowed to bargain with drug companies on prices.
The campaign to demonize regulations has been very successful. Instead of the logical solution of adjusting regulations after they have fulfilled an original intent, the mantra has become to deregulate everything so the "free market" can solve all problems.
The deal made to not allow government agencies to negotiate the price of drugs it pays for under health care programs was the most corrupt legislation in American history.

Your reasoning is off.

My reasoning isn't off. Drugs are sold cheaper in other countries because other countries don't have the leviathan of federal drug regulations and mandates, nor do they have the lobby-driven protectionist policies to pick winners and losers through collusion between government and business.

Under Bush they were not allowed to bargain with drug companies on prices.

Who is "they" here? I don't know what you're talking about. But again, it appears you're pointing at MORE government interference with the free market. That's WHY the free market isn't working. You have to get the government out of the equation. All I see is liberal lefties hollering for MORE government interference. You're going the wrong direction. As long as you give government more and more power, there will be those who exploit that to their advantage and the consumer will suffer.

Your reasoning is off.

My reasoning isn't off. Drugs are sold cheaper in other countries because other countries don't have the leviathan of federal drug regulations and mandates, nor do they have the lobby-driven protectionist policies to pick winners and losers through collusion between government and business.

Under Bush they were not allowed to bargain with drug companies on prices.

Who is "they" here? I don't know what you're talking about. But again, it appears you're pointing at MORE government interference with the free market. That's WHY the free market isn't working. You have to get the government out of the equation. All I see is liberal lefties hollering for MORE government interference. You're going the wrong direction. As long as you give government more and more power, there will be those who exploit that to their advantage and the consumer will suffer.
Camp answered your questions above.

How?

Your reasoning is off.
The campaign to demonize regulations has been very successful. Instead of the logical solution of adjusting regulations after they have fulfilled an original intent, the mantra has become to deregulate everything so the "free market" can solve all problems.
The deal made to not allow government agencies to negotiate the price of drugs it pays for under health care programs was the most corrupt legislation in American history.
and that was in the ''guise'' of the free market...republicans insisted that they had to prevent the bulk discounts in order to let the so called free market to work.

That's because SOME of us realize the free market solves ALL problems. It's the best possible system for delivering the best quality, the best price, meeting the needs of the consumer, than anything anyone has ever come up with.

It is the regulations and government interfering in the free market that messes things up. It happens every single time with every single thing the government touches. Do you realize that every major drug manufacturer has an entire internal department with as many as a hundred employees JUST to handle compliance with regulations? That's their only job, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. They have to keep lawyers on constant retainer... they have to undergo routine audits... they have to meet all kinds of certification requirements. It's a never-ending thing that simply runs up the cost of their product to the consumer.

In the midst of this insanity, we have libtards screaming for MORE REGULATIONS! As if we're suddenly going to institute Regulation # 1,450,547... and BOOM, the price of drugs is going to become reasonable again! That's NOT how this works.

A-GAIN.... because your heads are SO thick.... You are referencing another GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE in the free market! The Capitalist isn't the one to blame here... this is a problem of having too much government power. You have to cut off the head of the snake. As long as the government has this much power there will be Capitalists who will attempt to exploit that through lobbyists and collusion. The solution is to take away the government's power so there is nothing to influence. Then, the free market forces will take care of the rest. It works every single time... never fails. But you can't have the government out there bailing people out and saving businesses or picking winners and losers, you have to let the free market forces work.

You could not be more wrong. There is no "free market" with prescription drugs even if there were not a single government regulation. Come on. You have a child. He has an ear infection. He is in pain. You can pay $245 and fix the problem or you can pay zero and his ear can rot off. What kind of fucking choice is that? How much "negotiating power" do you have? What is the "substitution"? Is there anything even close to "equal consideration" between you and the drug company? Hell no, not even close. Truth is, in damn near about any other market the purchase of that medication would not be considered a valid contract. Give me money or I will cut off your kid's ear--I think that was the Lindbergh kidnapping wasn't it?

The reason Americans pay more for prescriptions is precisely because the government DOES NOT REGULATE the price. In Canada, no company can charge a Canadian more for medicine than the average price consumers in the rest of the world pay for that same medication. Truth is, because America does not regulate the price of prescriptions CANADIANS PAY MORE.

There is no free market in Health Care, PERIOD. It does not belong in the marketplace.

A-GAIN.... because your heads are SO thick.... You are referencing another GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE in the free market! The Capitalist isn't the one to blame here... this is a problem of having too much government power. You have to cut off the head of the snake. As long as the government has this much power there will be Capitalists who will attempt to exploit that through lobbyists and collusion. The solution is to take away the government's power so there is nothing to influence. Then, the free market forces will take care of the rest. It works every single time... never fails. But you can't have the government out there bailing people out and saving businesses or picking winners and losers, you have to let the free market forces work.

You do not even know what a free market is? Tell me, in a free market the market is free from what?

Quite wrong, never received a food stamp and I paid my student loan back. I have Medicare and have worked my entire life and paid taxes. You must have insurance through a job or just make big bucks, good for you. Are you going to take Medicare when you are 65? Why do you think a hard working min wage earner should get less care than you? You have no idea what insurance was like before the ACA obviously.

I know exactly what it was like you stupid cow. I could fucking AFFORD it before ACA! My personal insurance premiums went up over 400% and my deductible increased by $4,000.

Medicare is a system that I paid money into my entire working life. It's not a handout. It's not an entitlement. It is a benefit I receive after a life of contribution. You people have a lot of fucking gall to try and pretend like it's some kind of welfare you're giving us because you're all such kindhearted people.

Yes well look at the ACA the same way. You are upset you make too much for a mandate. Or as a boss you must have employees which you do not want to cost share with them. You state is one of the worst, too many gop. IN MI it works fine. What is your OOP max.

The problem with Price is he was an orthopedic surgeon and has stock in medical devises I suspect, and also he is or was a member of the AAPS which is all about getting rid of Medicare, and giving Dr.s info on how to opt out, so your people the GOP are going to ruin Medicare as well, why , the elites want to save tax. The GOP is in bed with big pharma . Trump is destroying everything in the US, FDA, EPA, HI, why because he loves the elites and that is who he is loyal to.

You do not even know what a free market is? Tell me, in a free market the market is free from what?

Apparently, YOU don't understand what a free market is.

It's really sad to me that you don't. I wish you would educate yourself and learn about the free market capitalist system. I can recommend some good sources to educate you... Thomas Sowell... Walter E. Williams... Milton Friedman... Adam Smith... Friedrich Hayek... It's much better and more healthy reading than the Marxist claptrap you're probably used to.

And please don't insult me with the old Socialist complaint that we don't have a "pure" free market system. There's no such thing as "pure" economic systems in any society.

Capitalist market, use OPM's and file bankruptcy, make sure you are a S corp or INC. first to protect yourself. Trump was so far in debt , he was too big to fail. The days of MOM and POP shops are pretty near gone, look at Icahn, he has gobbled up everything he can, and Aetna threatened to leave the ACA if the DOJ didn't approve their merger with Human. That is why we need to tell them to get on the exchanges or die a slow death and cap their prices. I am sickened by the greed at the top. its got out of hand.

Apparently, YOU don't understand what a free market is.

It's really sad to me that you don't. I wish you would educate yourself and learn about the free market capitalist system. I can recommend some good sources to educate you... Thomas Sowell... Walter E. Williams... Milton Friedman... Adam Smith... Friedrich Hayek... It's much better and more healthy reading than the Marxist claptrap you're probably used to.

And please don't insult me with the old Socialist complaint that we don't have a "pure" free market system. There's no such thing as "pure" economic systems in any society.

Damn, it is an easy question. If you believe so strongly in a "free market'. If you have read Sowell, Hayek, and most certainly Adam Smith, then the answer to my question would have been quick and easy. I can give it to you in two words. But if you can't at least attempt an answer I am quite confident you would not understand those two words and it would be a waste of time attempting to explain them.

That's because SOME of us realize the free market solves ALL problems. It's the best possible system for delivering the best quality, the best price, meeting the needs of the consumer, than anything anyone has ever come up with.

It is the regulations and government interfering in the free market that messes things up. It happens every single time with every single thing the government touches. Do you realize that every major drug manufacturer has an entire internal department with as many as a hundred employees JUST to handle compliance with regulations? That's their only job, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. They have to keep lawyers on constant retainer... they have to undergo routine audits... they have to meet all kinds of certification requirements. It's a never-ending thing that simply runs up the cost of their product to the consumer.

In the midst of this insanity, we have libtards screaming for MORE REGULATIONS! As if we're suddenly going to institute Regulation # 1,450,547... and BOOM, the price of drugs is going to become reasonable again! That's NOT how this works.
Good luck! The govt has been up to its eyeballs in the involvement of our healthcare for a hundred years,

medicare, medicaid, the VA, CHIP- child health care, the tax deductions for employers buying it for employees, our tax deductions, health savings accounts, free clinics, mandatory emergency services regardless of means to pay, the FDA, making it illegal to negotiate bulk discounts with PHARMA...., paying for medical schools, grants for students becoming docs or nurses and sooooo much more, paying universities for R&D, mandatory vaccinations, developing flu vaccine shots

there is no 'free market'' in health care, and never will be...

medical care and advancement technologies, is not a widget!

Good luck! The govt has been up to its eyeballs in the involvement of our healthcare for a hundred years -

So, do you mean that? Do you think we should have more government involvement in health care, or less?

Forum List

Back