Time to change term limits?

So there are a ton of threads that boil down to, how even on 9/11 and with the recent attacks on embassies, the president and mr Romney couldn't take the day off from campaigning. Someone mentioned that the whole campaign season is too long, and I agree, when November comes most Americans are just happy to have it over with. Well another poster responded that having each president serve 1 six year term, instead of 2 four year terms would cut the whole campaign culture down significantly.

I thought it was interesting. Thoughts?

Excellent idea.

So you want to prevent the people from being able to reelect the President... So we will have no way to keep him accountable to the people because he will no longer have to do anything to get our votes.

Is this really what we want?

It would be no different then what we have now when a president wins re-election. Were Bush, Clinton, or Reagan ‘unaccountable’ during their respective second terms?

But what we have now clearly doesn’t work.

A new president spends 4 years running for re-election, his decisions influenced by that fact.

Should he win-re-election he spends his last 4 years as a lame duck.

Either the single six-year term or amend the Constitution to repeal the 22nd Amendment and allow the president to run for re-election as often as he wants, as long as the people want him.

Exactly. It limits the effectiveness of the president as well as inflames partisanship in congress when they are all looking to the next election and not focusing on their jobs.

So there are a ton of threads that boil down to, how even on 9/11 and with the recent attacks on embassies, the president and mr Romney couldn't take the day off from campaigning. Someone mentioned that the whole campaign season is too long, and I agree, when November comes most Americans are just happy to have it over with. Well another poster responded that having each president serve 1 six year term, instead of 2 four year terms would cut the whole campaign culture down significantly.

The president's term is fine.

The Congress should change to four year terms that run with the presidents.

I would love a four year term for congress and support term limits, perhaps 3.

So you want to prevent the people from being able to reelect the President... So we will have no way to keep him accountable to the people because he will no longer have to do anything to get our votes.

Is this really what we want?

What?

I apologize. I didn't think it was that difficult to understand, let me clarify.

If they are only elected for one term, the people have no way to keep them accountable, because they arent going to have to worry about reelection.
I can see your perspective, I agree worrying about winning reelection hampers what a president would do, although I disagree that it helps Americans. Do you feel presidents who win a second term just run wild?

That would require a VERY massive Amendment or probably 2 , one changing the entire clause on House and Senate and another creating a term limit.

Guess what? Congress has to create the Amendment to start, now do you honestly believe 2/3rds of both Houses would agree to changing their terms and LIMITING them?

That would require a VERY massive Amendment or probably 2 , one changing the entire clause on House and Senate and another creating a term limit.

Guess what? Congress has to create the Amendment to start, now do you honestly believe 2/3rds of both Houses would agree to changing their terms and LIMITING them?

No, and that's the bitch of it as I'd bet a vast majority of Americans would approve both.

Honestly I think we as a nation should spend less time worrying about the president and more time holding congress accountable.

Clearly we need to rethink term limits, it will take Romney three terms to clean up the mess he'll inherit from Obama

How do you plan on working it out? A Constitutional Amendment or martial law?

I figured I'd just start a blog and declare it a fact, seems to work for everyone else.

Sounds like your loser messiah.. He just passes laws through EO like for illegal aliens.. Fuck the law, right??!! Hell, he's Obama.. Super Liberal.. he can do whatever he wants according to you Leftist Zombies.. why should you be any different?

How do you plan on working it out? A Constitutional Amendment or martial law?

I figured I'd just start a blog and declare it a fact, seems to work for everyone else.

Sounds like your loser messiah.. He just passes laws through EO like for illegal aliens.. Fuck the law, right??!! Hell, he's Obama.. Super Liberal.. he can do whatever he wants according to you Leftist Zombies.. why should you be any different?

Do you have an off button?

I'm for:

- Cutting Senator terms to 3 years
- Making all elected positions volunteer only (no more career politicians)
- And if they continue being paid then I want limits on number of years in a branch; probably 12 or less.
- I'm also for getting rid of the unconstitutional lifetime appointments for supreme court justices

I'm for:

- Cutting Senator terms to 3 years
- Making all elected positions volunteer only (no more career politicians)
- And if they continue being paid then I want limits on number of years in a branch; probably 12 or less.
- I'm also for getting rid of the unconstitutional lifetime appointments for supreme court justices

There is nothing Unconstitutional about life time terms for Supreme Court appointments. In fact it has been the law since the beginning. As to the rest never gonna happen.

Forum List

Back