Time to ban antidepressants?

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
Many have asked, what is a common factor in most incidents of school violence? Of course, the current PC crowd is holding a witch hunt against firearms, although school violence is certainly not limited to their use alone. It does seem that, regardless of the tool employed to commit murder, mayhem, and suicide, the one common element would appear that almost every single perpetrator was using, or had recently been using, antidepressant drugs of some sort.

I'm just wondering whether that small fact will show up in the Biden committee's findings?

List of school shootings on antidepressants | Alternative

I linked to a similar article a few days ago. I got crickets. Maybe a thread dedicated to psychiatric medications and violent behavior will get some attention.
Alec Harris was on anti depressants, he had a website talking about how he felt about his fellow students. it was well known he was a time bomb, but in the aftermath of Columbine, there was no discussion of psychiatric medications causing psychopathological behavior in some teens, or the need to identify antisocial behavior on social networking sites. The solution was to make another dozen laws that had the same chance of preventing another Columbine as all the other laws Harris and Klebold violated that day.

Millions of people use anti depressants. And because a couple people that happened to be using them killed people we should ban them? That makes as much sense as banning guns.

I do think they need to stop prescribing them to those under 18. That is a crutch parents and the medical profession created.

The British government ban for use of all but one SSRI antidepressant drug in children and teens (Dec 10, 2003) is reverberating wherever these drugs are widely prescribed. The action was taken after an independent committee of experts examined the raw data from controlled clinical trials that had been conducted by these drugs' manufacturers. The evidence shows that contrary to the claims made by their promoters, SSRIs are neither effective against depression in children, nor safe. The hazards posed by SSRIs--of which the most serious is self-harm and aggression toward others--had been detected during company controlled clinical trials, but the hazards were concealed--even in published reports in academic journals. Thus, doctors who prescribed the drugs and patients and families for whom they have been prescribed were kept in the dark.

Antidepressant Ban for Kids Puts Pressure On U.S. / Canada

Any person taking a drug with suicidal or homicidal ideation as a known side effect should be a no-go for gun purchases in the NICS.

Since 100% of multiple murderers in schools ALSO ingested the chemical dihydrogen monoxide - should we ban that as well?

When people are taking SSRI's or other antidepressants, perhaps we shouldn't let them drive since they might use their cars as deadly weapons?

Since 100% of multiple murderers in schools ALSO ingested the chemical dihydrogen monoxide - should we ban that as well?

When people are taking SSRI's or other antidepressants, perhaps we shouldn't let them drive since they might use their cars as deadly weapons?

Is it FDA black label warning against operating machinery ?

Then by all means.

Dihydrogen Monoxide does not have suicidal / homicidal ideation as an identified side effect.

no because it does not have studies showing a direct link with suicidal and homicidal ideations

many medications in fact warn of operating heavy equipment..but the real answer is to ban the use of these drugs in children and for treating mild to moderate depression as they are proven too be dangerous and ineffective

no because it does not have studies showing a direct link with suicidal and homicidal ideations

many medications in fact warn of operating heavy equipment..but the real answer is to ban the use of these drugs in children and for treating mild to moderate depression as they are proven too be dangerous and ineffective

Not in treating the depressive part of bipolar they aren't .....in fact, they are lifesaving. The hard part is matching person to correct A-D.

Homicidal raging isn't unheard of with bipolar males off their meds.

No, I'm not bipolar but I manage one closely. My bipolar is a grown man; count on an adolescent to resent supervision and medication.

The Gabby Giffords shooter was a paranoid schizophrenic - A-D's do nothing to mitigate that mental illness.

Regards from Rosie

Not in treating the depressive part of bipolar they aren't .....in fact, they are lifesaving. The hard part is matching person to correct A-D.

zero evidence to back your claim...none

Homicidal raging isn't unheard of with bipolar males off their meds.

its called withdraw..

No, I'm not bipolar but I manage one closely. My bipolar is a grown man; count on an adolescent to resent supervision and medication.

The Gabby Giffords shooter was a paranoid schizophrenic - A-D's do nothing to mitigate that mental illness.

Regards from Rosie

these drugs can cause psycosis you clearly have little knowledge on the subject and have done no independent research

zero evidence to back your claim...none

its called withdraw..

these drugs can cause psycosis you clearly have little knowledge on the subject and have done no independent research

Do you know what the word "mitigate" means? Any shrink giving a paranoid schizophrenic A-D's is committing malpractice.

I know about bipolar and Prozac and you do not.

Regards from Rosie

Antidepressant medications are sometimes used to treat symptoms of depression in bipolar disorder. People with bipolar disorder who take antidepressants often take a mood stabilizer too. Doctors usually require this because taking only an antidepressant can increase a person's risk of switching to mania or hypomania, or of developing rapid cycling symptoms.29 To prevent this switch, doctors who prescribe antidepressants for treating bipolar disorder also usually require the person to take a mood-stabilizing medication at the same time.

NIMH · How is bipolar disorder treated?

these drugs..ssris can cause mania in a perfectly healthy sane person...then when that happens is doctors do not discontinue they change the diagnosis to mania they add a mood stabilizer which leads to psychosis so the add a anti psychotic

Last edited:

We should most definitely ban the most dangerous form of dihydrogen monoxide. It can be made into projectiles and propelled at people, usually by throwing.

The point is, we are aware or should be aware, that these drugs cause undesired results in far more than an acceptable number of kids and young adults. They should be monitored and taken off the drugs if they exhibit the warning signs.

Why not? We can add them to the Bloomberg restricted list along with Pain Killers.

Forum List

Back