Time to add Peuto Rico and DC as States?

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
The time may be right.

In one sense, the residents of these de facto states should have some sort of congressional representation.

In the political sense (why I posted it here), if the GOP wishes to appeal more broadly to Hispanic voters, there are few steps they can immediately take that will help them more. Liberals getting 3 more congressional votes in Congress will be a good counter-balance to ensure it goes through.

We haven't added a state in what, 52 years? It's time.

The time may be right.

In one sense, the residents of these de facto states should have some sort of congressional representation.

In the political sense (why I posted it here), if the GOP wishes to appeal more broadly to Hispanic voters, there are few steps they can immediately take that will help them more. Liberals getting 3 more congressional votes in Congress will be a good counter-balance to ensure it goes through.

DC? No, Constitutionally it was intended to be the seat of government, a neutral zone if you will. DC statehood would take a constitutional amendment and (IMHO) it's way to small to be a state.

PR? No problem with that. My understanding is that they voted for statehood, so let the bill filed and the debate begin.

>>>>

The time may be right.

DC? No, Constitutionally it was intended to be the seat of government, a neutral zone if you will. DC statehood would take a constitutional amendment and (IMHO) it's way to small to be a state.

PR? No problem with that. My understanding is that they voted for statehood, so let the bill filed and the debate begin.

>>>>

You only need 60,000 people to form a state, so D.C. is more than big enough, but you're correct, they didn't want it to be a state for governmental reasons which is why it's not. I don't have a problem giving their representative in Congress a valid vote, though.

As for Puerto Rico, there is a disagreement over whether statehood is exactly what they were voting for.

Puerto Rico Statehood Experts Challenge Results - ABC News

The time may be right.

>>>>

Yeah, that's just it. It will be an even number getting added if it were to ever happen. Maybe Guam and American Samoa as well but no way it is an odd number. That changes the balance of voting, advantage of the Vice Presidency, etc...

Forum List

Back