Time/MSNBC Bias

Big_D

Jul 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I am not a far right conservative and I think that for the most part, MSNBC is not completely biased but I cannot ignore the clear and total bias by these two companies. Recently, they came out with a top ten list from the most memorable quotes from the decade. Of the top ten, five were blunders statements from top Republican party members. One would think that the other five would be poorly made statements by top Democrats but they would be wrong. There was one quote from a Democrat that made them look foolish and that was Obama's gun quote. Two of them were further attacks on the GOP. One of these two was a memo that was on Bush's desk about how Bin Laden determined to attack the US and the other was Kanye West's stating that Bush doesn't care about black people. Of the two remaining, one was the Onion's satire after 9/11 and the final one was Palin's lipstick/pit bull quote at the RNC. So, of the ten that was on the list, seven of them were attacks on the GOP. I really find it hard to believe that Obama's gun quote was the dumbest thing a Democrat said over the past ten years. Number one on the list was Bush calling Britian's PM Gordon Brown, "Browie." He wasn't doing it as an insult. It was just an attempt to be funny. Apparantly, None of the following quotes warranted making the list according to Time and MSNBC:

"Not only are we going to New Hampshire, Tom Harkin, we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma and Arizona and North Dakota and New Mexico, and we're going to California and Texas and New York ... And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan, and then we're going to Washington, D.C., to take back the White House! Yeah!"
Howard Dean

"I actually did vote for the $87 Billion. Before, I voted against it."
John Kerry

"There was supposed to be some sort of greeting ceremony, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles..."
Hilary Clinton, claiming to have been attacked on a trip to Bosnia. Little did she know that fellow passenger, Sinbad said the event never happened!

None of those quotes were adequate? Maybe Dean would have won the nomination had he not of made that statement. I can remember Bush really unloading the attacks on Kerry when he made the quote above. Kerry also told a reporter that he would do the Iraq war all over again, after denouncing it. Who knows, he might have been president, had he not have said either one of those quotes. Then, you have Clinton's quote which is so beyond absurd it doesnt even warrant any further explanation. Another that comes to mind is Bill Clinton comparing Obama to Jesse Jackson after his South Carolina win. There are certainly others, but the point is clearly made.

GE and NBC are an interesting mix.

I'll admit when I first entered school a large number of older students in the journalism field ahead of me were "out to save the world" hippie types. By the time I got done with my cash & carry education the Rush Revolution had occurred. Boy were them journalism students dressing better.

I'm gonna go hunt down journalism student surveys. Here's some GE/NBC reading. The corporation isn't a bunch of hippies but apparently whoever put together the feature you watched was.

The network is currently part of the media company NBC Universal, a unit of General Electric (80%) and Vivendi (20%).
NBC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The General Electric Company, or GE (NYSE: GE), is a multinational American technology and services conglomerate incorporated in the State of New York.[5] In 2009, Forbes ranked GE as the world's largest company.[6][7][8] The company has 323,000 employees around the world.

GE - UAVs

French Navys New Nuclear Submarine Fleet to be Powered by GE Technology, GE Oil Gas
FLORENCE, ITALY - January 25, 2008 - GE Oil & Gas has been selected by DCNS to provide the turbo-generators and propulsion turbines for the French Navy's new fleet of six nuclear submarines, which are scheduled to enter service between 2016 and 2027.

What should prove interesting now is the effect on the programming after Comcast takes over NBC and its assests including MSNBC. I don't see the programming staying the same once a sale proceeds as Comcast does not have as many irons in the political fire as G.E. did , so the need to promote policy through your news division may not be as strong.

PHILADELPHIA - General Electric Co.'s agreement to buy out the rest of NBC Universal paves the way for it to sell control of the TV and movie company to Comcast Corp. in a deal that promises to reshape the entertainment industry.
GE, Vivendi deal paves way for NBC sale to Comcast by AP: Yahoo! Tech

I'm a conservative in some ways and liberal in others. Guess I'm kind of a mutt when it comes to politics. One thing I can say for sure is that the MSM is very biased. This President got a free ride to the WH from the majority of the media. MSNBC was so in the tank for this guy it was ridiculous.

Media sure has changed from when I was a kid. The media back then had no problem investigating everyone, no matter their party. Times sure have changed and not for the better in the media dept.

The reason for their bias is quite obvious. GE took 'Obama money' (that's taxpayers money to the educated among us)... The trouble with taking 'Obama money' is the strings attached. That is - according to Dr Ezekiel Emanuel that any company receiving 'Obama money' had to support Obama's policies, specifically the healthcare agenda. Since MSNBC is owned by GE, it's pretty clear which side of any 'debate' they are gonna support.

What should prove interesting now is the effect on the programming after Comcast takes over NBC and its assests including MSNBC. I don't see the programming staying the same once a sale proceeds as Comcast does not have as many irons in the political fire as G.E. did , so the need to promote policy through your news division may not be as strong.

If GE was using their news division to promote political aims, they'd be Fox 2.0.

If GE was using their news division to promote political aims, they'd be Fox 2.0.

Well as I did not endorse Fox in anyway in my post and the thread was about MSNBC I did not feel the need to comment on Fox. However, if you look at G.E. and all the things that G.E. is vested in for example the creation of a crabon trading division even though legislation has not passed yet, and MSNBC's stauch support of such legislation. One can make many examples of this it proves even further that media is more or less public relations arms rather than pure news and MSNBC is no different. It's going to be interesting when Comcast takes over though, with a lack of all these divisions that stand to gain by passage of various bills, how much MSNBC's lineup will change. From a pure money standpoint, it would make sense to change the lineup as it is a constant money loser for G.E. in tems of revenue and market share.

Well as I did not endorse Fox in anyway in my post and the thread was about MSNBC I did not feel the need to comment on Fox. However, if you look at G.E. and all the things that G.E. is vested in for example the creation of a crabon trading division even though legislation has not passed yet, and MSNBC's stauch support of such legislation. One can make many examples of this it proves even further that media is more or less public relations arms rather than pure news and MSNBC is no different. It's going to be interesting when Comcast takes over though, with a lack of all these divisions that stand to gain by passage of various bills, how much MSNBC's lineup will change. From a pure money standpoint, it would make sense to change the lineup as it is a constant money loser for G.E. in tems of revenue and market share.

I was mentioned Fox in reference to how GE would behave if the news arm was a tool to increase their bottom line across the board. And yes, GE does have a vested interest in green technology, but that's an interest largely independent of any government policy. Not only is there a huge international market for such products, there is a sizable domestic one among environmentally concerned consumers.

One could also not that other areas of GE's business are much better served by Republicans being in power. Their lending arm is helped by increased deregulation in the banking sector and their medical device manufacturing is helped by willing of conservative government to overpay. Not mention the defense contracting.

The takeover of the network by Comcast will do little to change the editorial line at MSNBC. GE didn't hire Olbermann and Maddow because they were trying to make a political point. They were hired because they increase viewership and therefore revenue. Fox already has right-wing opinion programming in prime time rapped up and for years MSNBC tried to pay the same sort of market CNN does with boring, middle-of-the-road stuff. The shift to liberal opinion programming has launching MSNBC into a strong second in the primetime (though Fox is still the clear market share leader).

Last edited:
First of all Keith Olbermann worked for Fox until 2001 when he joined MSNBC for the second time, he was part of MSNBC in the late 90's as well. I could not disagree with you more as to G.E.'s interest and usage when it comes to programming at MSNBC. G.E. is heavily vested in not only Medical, but Environmental, Aviation, and many other area's including it's capitol unit which by the way for some reason according to Fed. is a bank is eligible for TARP funds. Jeffery Immelt is one of the Administrations economic advisors, it's no surprise that MSNBC would advocate for most of the policy that the Administration sends to the hill as it's parent stands to benefit greatly from the passage of such legislation. Take for example Climate Change Legislation, G.E. several years ago, created a carbon trading division in anticipation of a cap and trade bill here, and it's no secret that G.E. is a large producer of wind technology. While not wanting to turn this into who's better Fox or MSNBC , I will tell you that I see both of these organizations generally the same, and that is they are advocates for causes and not news organizations. While one advocates for one side, one advocates for the other which is pretty clear, but again I will maintain that Comcast has little interest in the diverse areas that G.E. does and is likely to change the amount of advocacy that benefits such areas.

The agreement allows GE to buy Vivendi's 20 percent share of NBC for $5.8 billion, which opens the door for GE to sell controlling shares to Comcast in a deal expected to be priced at about $30 billion.

The final price for GE's deal with Comcast has not been settled, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

Analysts have said the deal is likely, however. GE is willing to part with the television and movie company that is losing money, while Comcast is seeking to increase control of programming and production
GE to shore up NBC holdings for sale - UPI.com

Most cable news ratings are going to show declines from their election year heyday last fall, but for MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Show (which debuted in September, 2008) those year over year declines have made October, 2009 its lowest rated month ever in both average viewers and the cable news targeted adults 25-54 demo, down 54% and 65% respectively from October, 2008.
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/10/27/msnbcs-rachel-maddow-show-ratings-hit-lowest-level-ever/31678

GE Capital is legible for TARP funds because it's a bank. Lenders in general, even if they don't have other commercial banking products, are structured as banks. I wasn't intending to turn this into a discussion of the merits of MSNBC versus Fox. I was simply looking at how politics effects the company's bottom line.

As for the ratings game, what direction do you think MSNBC could move which would make the more profitable? Yes, Maddow's ratings are their lowest ever, but it's worthwhile to note when her show went on the air (in the middle of election season last year).

Personally, and this applies to all these media networks that tend to offer less news and more opinion, MSNBC would do well if they went to a format that offered a news and opinion to Independents and offered true moderation of both sides of issues in Opinion based shows as well as less editorial commentary in pure news gathering. Here's an example, and while not advocating the persons themselves, but a show that has say, Ann Coulter on one side and DeDe Myers on the other.. or perhaps a show that would bring on our representatives each night to debate one another, there are several things they can do in the opnion realm that would seperate them from the others and appeal to a vast majority of Americans. Here is a novel idea, how about a web based hometown? or perhaps a real news hour that features hard news, minus the editorials. Something that would force these young kids to be the 4th estate once again rather than advocates for various parties. Just a few thoughts.

Personally, and this applies to all these media networks that tend to offer less news and more opinion, MSNBC would do well if they went to a format that offered a news and opinion to Independents and offered true moderation of both sides of issues in Opinion based shows as well as less editorial commentary in pure news gathering. Here's an example, and while not advocating the persons themselves, but a show that has say, Ann Coulter on one side and DeDe Myers on the other.. or perhaps a show that would bring on our representatives each night to debate one another, there are several things they can do in the opnion realm that would seperate them from the others and appeal to a vast majority of Americans. Here is a novel idea, how about a web based hometown? or perhaps a real news hour that features hard news, minus the editorials. Something that would force these young kids to be the 4th estate once again rather than advocates for various parties. Just a few thoughts.

CNN tried that for years (and still do to a lesser extent) and it hasn't met with much success.

Perhaps thats why people need not confuse MSNBC and others with actual news. rather you may want to consider these Networks more or less like visual editorials from your local political party. You would be better erved to get your news from the Daly Show rather than look for it in one of the current batch of opinion based networks. Having said all that, Opinions serve a purpose some party or some organization , especially when they reach an audience the size of these and as such when the owners of such networks need an agenda put forward it will be. That is why when Comcast is fully in charge in my opinion you will see a change at MSNBC that does not reflect the needs of GE as much as it does now.

I didn't suggest otherwise Mr. Peepers however the context of the thread is about MSNBC, not PBS, or BBC, or any of the whole host of others you mentioned.

Someone posted that they wished that an unbiased, objective news source existed. They do and I pointed them out. That is why I posted.

I know it was me Mr. Peepers and this was the whole sentence, " Here is a novel idea, how about a web based hometown? or perhaps a real news hour that features hard news, minus the editorials. " It was in reference to changing the programming format at MSNBC.

Forum List

Back