Time Machine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jimmyeatworld, May 25, 2005.

1. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    This came up during a recent discussion among some friends of mine. I wanted to see what some of the people here would come up with.

You have a time machine. You can go back to any point in history and video tape a 15 minute conversation with any person you choose. Who do you talk to and what would be the subject?

Now, before we get started, let me ask that you save the heartfelt stuff. If you would like to go back and talk to your grandmother before she passed away, that's very nice and very sweet, but that's not what I'm looking for. Historical figures. Think about the way you might change the world today, just by talking to someone from the past. Something along those lines.

I chose to go back to the early 1800s and talk to President Thomas Jefferson. I would ask him to explain what the term "separation of church and state" meant, since so many people today seem to have a twisted view of what it is. If I had time (which I'm sure I would), I would give him some current examples of what people call violations of the Constitution, and ask for his opinion. I would then come back and put the video on the internet, free of charge, as well as sending a copy to every media outlet I could think of, except Newsweek, the New York Times, and CBS, because they suck. :usa:

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I'd talk to Jesus, post-resurrection. 15 minutes of theology, straight from Christ's mouth. And I would include modern questions about Christian theology.

3. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Siddhartha Gautama Buddha

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Me, too. Post or pre resurrection has no bearing on it though, I'd just want to talk to him. I'd imagine that he wouldn't come across as being theological or anything, I always think of him as talking on the level of the average person of his time, y'know, he hung out in the streets, not the churches and all that. But, I think he'd be interesting, even though 15 minutes would not be nearly enough. Honestly, I'd be most interested in hearing him talk about his internal conflicts, being the son of God versus being a man succeptible to temptation.

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Adam. And I would spend 15 minutes talking about pleasing God! ;)

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Actually, Jefferson completely explained "separation of church and state" in his letter to the Dabury Baptists. The way it has been twisted is this: "church" meant a state-mandated religion. But in 1962, judges ruled, against dozens of legal precedents, that "church" meant any religious activity.

Thomas Jefferson wrote many times of his fear that the judicial branch would take over the government. It's like the guy was psychic.

Of course Jesus, but I look forward to seeing Him some day, anyway! ;)

Thomas Jefferson was my first thought, too. It's just fascinating to look at some of the things he wrote and see how they are twisted out of context.

I think it would be interesting to talk to the Rev. Samuel Parris right before the Salem witch hunts began, like January 19, 1692. I would strongly recommend a sound spanking for his daughter, Elizabeth, and a course on logic.

7. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Oh yeah!

8. gaffer

gaffer Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    There are a lot of historical figures to chose from. But other than Americans and English you would have a difficult time communicating with any of them. Jesus would have to perform a miracle for you to talk to him. Unless you already speak ancient hebrew. If your unable to communicate where does that leave you? Things that make you go hmmmmm.

One of the things I hate about time travel shows is that everyone always speaks English.

9. JOKER96BRAVO

JOKER96BRAVO Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Lee Harvy Oswald.
    (and maybe George Lucas)

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

Awesome---I guess you would fix this problem we have with evil and religion would be unnecessary ?