Time is Not on the World's Side: The Iranian Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
freeandfun1 said:
His reference was to troops being in Japan. As they are.

Before you give me a history lesson on Asia, let me tell you that I have lived in Asia, I own a business in Asia now and I am married to an Asian. I have studied their history well and know it much better than most.

Japan and China are historical enemies and they will always remain so. Korea (actually, the "Koreas") is, as always, caught in the middle.

Which still is not directly relevent to China's desire to reclaim Taiwan.

Wade.

freeandfun1 said:
Nobody but you have ever eluded to that. Get a clue.

Hmmm.... In response to my original comment about China and Taiwan:

Merlin1047 said:
.....And surely Japan could defend itself against any Chinese threat...

Do you actually read what is being said before replying?

And as to Merlins comment, I think it laughable that he thinks Japan could defend itself w/o US assistance from the Chineese, who have a huge nuclear capability. Japan would just sit and watch the Chineese take Taiwan, rather than risk nuclear attack.

Wade

dilloduck said:
The more I read about this the more i believe France to be totally compromised. Irans insistance for European protection may force its' hand. Chiracs' adminstration is dependent on the support of the French-Arab population!
what is this about?

wade said:
Hmmm.... In response to my original comment about China and Taiwan:

Do you actually read what is being said before replying?

And as to Merlins comment, I think it laughable that he thinks Japan could defend itself w/o US assistance from the Chineese, who have a huge nuclear capability. Japan would just sit and watch the Chineese take Taiwan, rather than risk nuclear attack.

Wade

i am missing something, why would china attack japan? even military attack against taiwan might not be in china's best interests

drac said:
i am missing something, why would china attack japan? even military attack against taiwan might not be in china's best interests

the discussions was on military balance in the region, etc. My comment was that Japan and Korea, being historical enemies of China, still view China with skepticism.

I would not discount the possibility of ANOTHER war between China and Japan. Maybe not in our lifetime, but their bitter rivalry dates back a thousand years or more.

In other words, we strayed WAY OFF the topic of the thread.

Sorry.

China maintains its claim to Taiwan, it has never recognized Taiwan's independance and if the Chineese felt they could grab it sucessfully, they would. This is generally considered the most likely pre-cursor to WWIII.

Wade.

freeandfun1 said:
the discussions was on military balance in the region, etc. My comment was that Japan and Korea, being historical enemies of China, still view China with skepticism.

I would not discount the possibility of ANOTHER war between China and Japan. Maybe not in our lifetime, but their bitter rivalry dates back a thousand years or more.

In other words, we strayed WAY OFF the topic of the thread.

Sorry.

Such a conflict is possible, but in the current situation, I think unlikely. Japan is no longer imperialistic. Logistically it's also a difficult target. Japan seeks economic dominance of the region, and while there is clear historical animosity between them, within another 20 years there will not be a surviving individual who recalls the conflict. And I don't think Japan will ever be in a position to be the aggressor.

In the distant future? Well, anything could happen. Let's keep the domain of discussions to the next 50 years (max) okay? This is not a sci-fi forum :teeth:

Wade.

wade said:
Such a conflict is possible, but in the current situation, I think unlikely. Japan is no longer imperialistic. Logistically it's also a difficult target. Japan seeks economic dominance of the region, and while there is clear historical animosity between them, within another 20 years there will not be a surviving individual who recalls the conflict. And I don't think Japan will ever be in a position to be the aggressor.

In the distant future? Well, anything could happen. Let's keep the domain of discussions to the next 50 years (max) okay? This is not a sci-fi forum :teeth:

Wade.

I agreee. With that observation I'm closing this thread. Start another on Iran or Japan/China? Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back