Time For Transparency On Debt Ceiling

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
We need to know what it's about, for US and our creditors.

We all need to know what the issues are about and what is at stake:

Sen. Sessions challenges Obama to make debt-ceiling talks public - TheHill.com

Sen. Sessions challenges Obama to make debt-ceiling talks public
By Daniel Strauss - 06/24/11 04:53 PM ET

The ranking member on the Senate Budget Committee says President Obama needs to bring the negotiations over increasing the debt ceiling out into the open.

"We might as well stake it out publicly to see what the disagreements are," Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) said Friday in an interview with The Hill. "I believe Majority Leader [Harry] Reid and the president desperately are working not to have to reveal their vision for the future, financially. Their vision will include, from what glimpses we've seen, an advocacy for more taxes and less spending cuts."

"We might as well stake it out publicly to see what the disagreements are," Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) said Friday in an interview with The Hill. "I believe Majority Leader [Harry] Reid and the president desperately are working not to have to reveal their vision for the future, financially. Their vision will include, from what glimpses we've seen, an advocacy for more taxes and less spending cuts."
What ‘glimpses’ is Sessions referring to? He needs to either cite his sources or not engage in subjective, partisan speculation.

What’s of concern is republicans will be addressing this serious issue from a position of dogma, not fact. And the right is willing to risk our economic well-being for partisan gain.

Whatever the democrats’ failings and motives, they at least understand allowing the nation to default would be an act of serious administrative negligence.

Raising the debt ceiling doesn’t mean the deficit won’t be addressed, it means Congress is engaged in responsible governance. The right’s rush to reduce the deficit – and hold the Nation’s financial well-being hostage to do it – is politically motivated, having nothing to do with what’s best for the country.

If Congress is waiting to increase the national debt ceiling until they have hammered out ways of eliminating the deficiet entirely, we will surely default on our debt payments and never be able to solve our economic problems.

And it is looking more and more to me like that is exactly what some people in Congress are planning on allowing to happen.

The ranking member on the Senate Budget Committee says President Obama needs to bring the negotiations over increasing the debt ceiling out into the open.

Since WE the people are their employers, and it's our money, our futures they're playing with? It seems to me that the people should have a massive say on this matter.

Since WE the people are their employers, and it's our money, our futures they're playing with? It seems to me that the people should have a massive say on this matter.

We have the same say we've always had...elections. Gee, if more than 4 out of 10 voted and got involved...we may just have a government that works.

We get the government we deserve.

We have the same say we've always had...elections. Gee, if more than 4 out of 10 voted and got involved...we may just have a government that works.

See Obamacare, that depite very loud objections from the people themselves? It was forced upon us. This government is playing with fire.

We need a President who will Change what goes on in Washington DC and make these kinds of proceedings More Transparent.

It would give people Hope.:razz:

Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency.

What ‘glimpses’ is Sessions referring to? He needs to either cite his sources or not engage in subjective, partisan speculation.

What’s of concern is republicans will be addressing this serious issue from a position of dogma, not fact. And the right is willing to risk our economic well-being for partisan gain.

Whatever the democrats’ failings and motives, they at least understand allowing the nation to default would be an act of serious administrative negligence.

Raising the debt ceiling doesn’t mean the deficit won’t be addressed, it means Congress is engaged in responsible governance. The right’s rush to reduce the deficit – and hold the Nation’s financial well-being hostage to do it – is politically motivated, having nothing to do with what’s best for the country.

sooo your take is, just raise the debt ceiling, and then negotiate deficit reduction?

IF that is the case, please tell me what motivation the dems would have to reduce the deficit?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPMf6kW_1Nw&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - ‪President Obama Making C-SPAN Promise 8 Separate Times‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5t8GdxFYBU&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - ‪Barack Obama "Public Will Have 5 Days To Look At Every Bill That Lands On My Desk"‬‏[/ame]

sooo your take is, just raise the debt ceiling, and then negotiate deficit reduction?

IF that is the case, please tell me what motivation the dems would have to reduce the deficit?

I'm going to tell my boss I need a raise, but we cannot talk about why until I get a pay increase.

oh and meanwhile, any sign of the presidents 2012 budget? The budget is due for enactment by oct. 1st....

and I guess the old "bucket of warm spit" axiom has gone by the way side, as we have good Old Joe running the show.....

Rep. Clyburn: Obama Has ‘Much More To Do With His Time” Than To Handle Debt Talks

Democratic Congressman James Clyburn appeared with Neil Cavuto today to discuss the stalled budget talks in Congress. Clyburn says Democrats are ready to negotiate, but “you can’t negotiate with yourself.” Clyburn insists it’s Congressman Eric Cantor and other Republicans who are walking away, because they wrongly believe President Obama is not focused and serious about working on the debt crisis.

Cavuto legitimately wondered with budget talks that appear to be “falling apart,” why shouldn’t Obama be more actively involved? Clyburn responded:

“We can’t have the President sitting in these meetings, three and four hours every day, when all of these other things are happening around the world. The president has much more to do with his time, and that’s why you have a Vice President.”

Cavuto pointed out Obama is finding some time to fundraise for his campaign. Clyburn instead then focused on the fact that cuts to Medicare will simply not be exchanged for more tax breaks for the wealthy. And without a compromise in sight, Cavuto predicted more trouble ahead for the economy.

more at-
James Clyburn Debt Ceiling | Obama Budget Compromise | Video | Mediaite

video at the site

Last edited:

I'm going to tell my boss I need a raise, but we cannot talk about why until I get a pay increase.

:lol:

I work for the gov., so I get them automatically............ suckers!!!!!:muahaha:

The dems better not believe the republicans bluff on this debt ceiling thing.

They will never vote it down if it means it will actually not get raised.

It would be the end of the Republican party and they know it.

They really dont care about the evil it would create on the American people but they do care about the life of the party.

Party over country atr every turn for the republicans

Just scare tactics saying that we need to raise the limit. I'm not buying this nor any other of their "if we don't do this, that blah blah blah, we're all gonna die" schemes. Surely many will though.

More dummies voting won't make government better. It will make government worse.

Do you ever pay attention to the news? The talks broke down this week because the Dems insisted on increased spending and taxes.

The negotiations should be broadcast in full on CSPAN. Obama promised The Most Transparent Adminisration Ever, so he should be perfectly willing to do so.

Just scare tactics saying that we need to raise the limit. I'm not buying this nor any other of their "if we don't do this, that blah blah blah, we're all gonna die" schemes. Surely many will though.

Indeed. As Geithner recently noted, the objective is to keep Government from shrinking. We can easily handle the $200B or so of interest payment on the debt by Shrinking The Government in other areas.

Indeed. As Geithner recently noted, the objective is to keep Government from shrinking.

iirc he never publicly stated that Boe, big dif...

do you think he is that ill spoken to incite riots here?

if you'd like to argue his insinuation OF the concept, then you might have some takers here

It's not a direct democracy, we elected those folks, for good or bad. However, the people certainly should let their representatives know their positions, if enough agree with yours, perhaps it will make a difference. In any case, pay attention and let it influence your decisions in 2012.

Forum List

Back