Time for Moderates to grow a set of balls

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
In our 200 year history, we have relied on moderates of both parties to find the middle ground. That was how politics was done, come in with extreme positions and then have your moderates work out a deal

In America today, moderates cower in fear and meekly shrug..."What can I do?". Moderates fear that they will be driven from their party if they do not toe the extremist line. Compromise used to be a sign of intelligence and maturity...now it is a sign of weakness

There are no win-win situations anymore. Win-win means the other side also wins so it is looked at as defeat.

It is time for moderates of both parties to take back control of their parties. Our government no longer functions and every minor decision requires a filibuster proof majority.

Come on moderates......Grow a set of balls

At times like this, when each side is itching for a train wreck, the moderates are badly outnumbered. And there are times like trying to make a compromise is worse than the smash. Cutting the baby in two is not the best solution. One side or the other will have to loose. The moderates will have to decide which bunch of zanies to jump on board with.

In our 200 year history, we have relied on moderates of both parties to find the middle ground. That was how politics was done, come in with extreme positions and then have your moderates work out a deal

In America today, moderates cower in fear and meekly shrug..."What can I do?". Moderates fear that they will be driven from their party if they do not toe the extremist line. Compromise used to be a sign of intelligence and maturity...now it is a sign of weakness

There are no win-win situations anymore. Win-win means the other side also wins so it is looked at as defeat.

It is time for moderates of both parties to take back control of their parties. Our government no longer functions and every minor decision requires a filibuster proof majority.

actually this isn't the case at all. The truth is both sides are so stubborn these days that they refuse to listen to moderates. We still speak, but no one is listening

"Moderate" means giving up half of what you believe in. What half are you willing to give up?

This is not what moderate means. Moderate means believing that believing all one way or the other is not the answer. Most people are not COMPLETELY one side or the other, as I'll post an idea for you as you seem to be conservative. Would you like to see the government (federal state and local) completely step out of schools and make everyone pay, i.e. only private schools? In my experience only the most hardcore conservatives feel this way, but probably not 95% of america.

edit: that 95% number is not a stat i heard from anywhere, just an assumption on my part, and I could be wrong.

Last edited:

actually this isn't the case at all. The truth is both sides are so stubborn these days that they refuse to listen to moderates. We still speak, but no one is listening

Moderates were once the proud leaders of their parties. They were the ones who held political power because they could move to either side on an issue. Now they afraid of being RINOs or Blue Dogs and having their funding dry up

Very few have the balls to reach across the aisle

Moderates were once the proud leaders of their parties. They were the ones who held political power because they could move to either side on an issue. Now they afraid of being RINOs or Blue Dogs and having their funding dry up

Very few have the balls to reach across the aisle

Well in some parts you are right, the right side and the left side leaders are both pretty far to the right and to the left, but when it comes to voting you will see some democrats vote across party lines, but you rarely see republicans do the same. I'm refering to the politicians voting on measures, not on the people voting for politicians.

but the truth is this, for politicians the only thing they care about is re-election. So they have to size up their situation. If a representative is coming from a deeply blue or red district they realize that their real competition is in their own party, so they move further to the right or left accordingly. A presidential candidate needs to win independants, so they will move to the center more. Notice how presidential candidates mainly spend their time attacking Obama and his policies, yet they aren't really speaking their opinion on the budget fight? Its because the conservatives in congress are completely to the right, while those running for president are trying to stay somewhat in the middle at least.

"Moderate" means giving up half of what you believe in. What half are you willing to give up?

That is what compromise is

Only children expect to get their way all the time
So what do you think the Democrats and the President should compromise on?

Well to a point I see democrats and the president already starting to compromise, but I don't see it from the other side. Spending is out of control, and they do seem to be willing to fix part of this at least. But they are getting nothing from republicans at all. But honestly I would like to see them add a year to SS retirement age, and a year to when you are able to recieve medicare, as these two things would go a LONG way to balancing the budget for years.

That is what compromise is

Only children expect to get their way all the time

Well to a point I see democrats and the president already starting to compromise, but I don't see it from the other side. Spending is out of control, and they do seem to be willing to fix part of this at least. But they are getting nothing from republicans at all. But honestly I would like to see them add a year to SS retirement age, and a year to when you are able to recieve medicare, as these two things would go a LONG way to balancing the budget for years.
So you would just continue to kick the can down the road. Wonderful.

You say the Dems and the Prez have already compromised. Show us where.

All I've seen is the President storm out of a meeting saying "Don't make me call my bluff".

Moderates don't ahve balls. That's why they're moderates. Moderates never did anything worthwhile in this country.
And we sure don't need them now. There is no way to moderate the deficit. We either fix the problem or we don't.

All I've seen is the President storm out of a meeting saying "Don't make me call my bluff".

that is all the GOP has one also.

kicking the can down the road? huh? this makes no sense this is actually a way to fix the problem, as much as SS can be fixed. The real problem with SS retirement is people keep living longer and longer, in the past 30 years life expectancy has risen 1 1/2 years, making retirement difficult . But adding 1 year would let SS retirement run a surplus for the next 15 years. Unfortunetly how long people live is continuosly changing, so the laws that govern it must do the same.

Where have they compromised? Obama agreed to 140B-170B a year in cuts (depending on whose side you listen to) he asked for 20-30B a year in cutting tax loopholes. So let me get this straight, the part that has the most power asks for 20 and is willing to give 140 and the other side says they aren't willing to give anything.

Moderates don't ahve balls. That's why they're moderates. Moderates never did anything worthwhile in this country.
And we sure don't need them now. There is no way to moderate the deficit. We either fix the problem or we don't.

and both sides are so stuck in their stupid ideologies that neither can see the truth if it smacks them in the face.

Better to see the country collapse than reach a compromise...

Win-win means the other side also wins

maybe they have chosen sides already?

Well to be honest all of us lean one way or the other on different issues, most of those are hard to change. I guess what makes me a moderate is that I see that both sides have stupid ideas, that I just can't support. Neither side right now seems dedicated to the economy, but they both claim to be. They just use their same old rhetoric to claim they are and convince their base that their way is the best.

and both sides are so stuck in their stupid ideologies that neither can see the truth if it smacks them in the face.

It isn't ideology that if you raise taxes not only will you not cut the deficit, in fact the deficit will grow. That is the lesson of history that Obama and the Dums seem to forget. Nor is it ideology that the welfare state is bankrupting us, nor is is ideology that Obama's deficits dwarf Federal budgets of 20 years ago. Nor is it ideology that the fed gov is filled with overlapping duplicative programs that are proven failures. All of that is fact.
What is ideology is that raising taxes on the rich is done in the interest of "fairness", as Obama said.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpSDBu35K-8]‪Obama: Raise Taxes, Capital Gains - "For Purposes of Fairness"‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back