Time for Moderates to grow a set of balls

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rightwinger, Jul 17, 2011.

1. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,337
    In our 200 year history, we have relied on moderates of both parties to find the middle ground. That was how politics was done, come in with extreme positions and then have your moderates work out a deal

In America today, moderates cower in fear and meekly shrug..."What can I do?". Moderates fear that they will be driven from their party if they do not toe the extremist line. Compromise used to be a sign of intelligence and maturity...now it is a sign of weakness

There are no win-win situations anymore. Win-win means the other side also wins so it is looked at as defeat.

It is time for moderates of both parties to take back control of their parties. Our government no longer functions and every minor decision requires a filibuster proof majority.

Come on moderates......Grow a set of balls

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,680
    "Moderate" means giving up half of what you believe in. What half are you willing to give up?

3. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    At times like this, when each side is itching for a train wreck, the moderates are badly outnumbered. And there are times like trying to make a compromise is worse than the smash. Cutting the baby in two is not the best solution. One side or the other will have to loose. The moderates will have to decide which bunch of zanies to jump on board with.

4. Middleoftheroad

Middleoftheroad Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54

actually this isn't the case at all. The truth is both sides are so stubborn these days that they refuse to listen to moderates. We still speak, but no one is listening

5. Middleoftheroad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54
    This is not what moderate means. Moderate means believing that believing all one way or the other is not the answer. Most people are not COMPLETELY one side or the other, as I'll post an idea for you as you seem to be conservative. Would you like to see the government (federal state and local) completely step out of schools and make everyone pay, i.e. only private schools? In my experience only the most hardcore conservatives feel this way, but probably not 95% of america.

edit: that 95% number is not a stat i heard from anywhere, just an assumption on my part, and I could be wrong.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  6. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,337
    That is what compromise is

Only children expect to get their way all the time

7. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,337
    Moderates were once the proud leaders of their parties. They were the ones who held political power because they could move to either side on an issue. Now they afraid of being RINOs or Blue Dogs and having their funding dry up

Very few have the balls to reach across the aisle

8. Middleoftheroad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well in some parts you are right, the right side and the left side leaders are both pretty far to the right and to the left, but when it comes to voting you will see some democrats vote across party lines, but you rarely see republicans do the same. I'm refering to the politicians voting on measures, not on the people voting for politicians.

9. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,680
    So what do you think the Democrats and the President should compromise on?

10. Middleoftheroad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54
    but the truth is this, for politicians the only thing they care about is re-election. So they have to size up their situation. If a representative is coming from a deeply blue or red district they realize that their real competition is in their own party, so they move further to the right or left accordingly. A presidential candidate needs to win independants, so they will move to the center more. Notice how presidential candidates mainly spend their time attacking Obama and his policies, yet they aren't really speaking their opinion on the budget fight? Its because the conservatives in congress are completely to the right, while those running for president are trying to stay somewhat in the middle at least.