Time For An English Only Law.

.... Today's "immigrants" come for the free ride, to the extent of spawning anchor babies on US soil so they have a lame-assed excuse to claim public assistance and squat on our soil. They don't care about becoming Americans, they just want to be fed, housed, and clothed at US taxpayer expense.

Nonsense

No more stupid laws. Return to the days when ppl were required to know English to get citizenship...leave English as our national language. But no more laws about stupid shit.

In the past, I don't think most people were required to know English. But having come here, they weren't opposed to learning it. Though that was probably because most of them were White.

yes, I think I addressed that...ppl were required to learn English. ....

They still are.

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the U.S. has become a dual language country. There are about 80 Spanish channels on cable TV. Many phone numbers you call will also have a Spanish option. I have a niece who applied for a job at a fast food restaurant once. But they wouldn't hire her because she wasn't bi-lingual. This isn't the kind of "America" I want. I say it is time to roll up the red carpet and put it away. Make the U.S. an English language only country!

the white supremacists got 2 million fewer votes in this election. you don't get to enact your bigotry and lunacy.
Some people will believe anything propagated by the so-called media. Do you believe multilingual media hype, or do you believe only English-language hype?
Neither.......

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the U.S. has become a dual language country. There are about 80 Spanish channels on cable TV. Many phone numbers you call will also have a Spanish option. I have a niece who applied for a job at a fast food restaurant once. But they wouldn't hire her because she wasn't bi-lingual. This isn't the kind of "America" I want. I say it is time to roll up the red carpet and put it away. Make the U.S. an English language only country!
Your lucky all the German, French, Italian, Spanish, etc. immigrants were not deported when they couldn't speak English off the boat. You probably wouldn't be an American, your great grand pops would have been deported.

If America were to adopt English as its one and only official language, it would have NOTHING to do with the examples you provided. Those are private enterprises, who are free to pursue/accommodate customers whose first language is not English.

If the Federal government, or any state government, were to adopt English, all it would mean is that official government publications, election material, etc, would be in English only. I'm all for that.

If you're suggesting we should enforce English only on private businesses, I pass.

The United States should look at English as an official language, under the same context as an individual who visits France, Russia, or Germany would need to understand their language. I believe that to be extremely fair, since most immigrants who come here from Europe or Asia don't have the convenience of seeing public signs or private business interpreters representing their native homeland.

Should we not have the same expectation of ALL foreign immigrants who wish to visit or make this nation their home? Is it not a requirement upon seeking citizenship to learn English, if the language of your native country is not represented here? Do these immigrants seeking citizenship not make the effort and pursue the hard work that it takes to learn English in order to successfully make a living here? When have we decided we would much rather cater to one foreign group of individuals over all others? This is where liberals really don't have much of a respect and appreciation towards ALL foreign immigrants who seek to become a part of this country as a whole.

There is not going to be any such law, so y'all can calm right down.

If America were to adopt English as its one and only official language, it would have NOTHING to do with the examples you provided. Those are private enterprises, who are free to pursue/accommodate customers whose first language is not English.

If the Federal government, or any state government, were to adopt English, all it would mean is that official government publications, election material, etc, would be in English only. I'm all for that.

If you're suggesting we should enforce English only on private businesses, I pass.

The United States should look at English as an official language, under the same context as an individual who visits France, Russia, or Germany would need to understand their language. I believe that to be extremely fair, since most immigrants who come here from Europe or Asia don't have the convenience of seeing public signs or private business interpreters representing their native homeland.

Should we not have the same expectation of ALL foreign immigrants who wish to visit or make this nation their home? Is it not a requirement upon seeking citizenship to learn English, if the language of your native country is not represented here? Do these immigrants seeking citizenship not make the effort and pursue the hard work that it takes to learn English in order to successfully make a living here? When have we decided we would much rather cater to one foreign group of individuals over all others? This is where liberals really don't have much of a respect and appreciation towards ALL foreign immigrants who seek to become a part of this country as a whole.
When I visited Europe, I made them speak English. They were happy to oblige. Signs were in both the native language and English.

When I visited Europe, I made them speak English. They were happy to oblige. Signs were in both the native language and English.

You went to England then huh?

You went to England then huh?

Italy, Greece, Turkey......they all spoke English or got someone who did
Signs were in the native language and English
Menus, hotel contracts, rental agreements all contained English

Yet, America freaks if they have to press 1 for English.

With regard to highway signs, personally I believe you are full of crap. There were not any public road signs posted in english and their native language from what I've seen in Germany and when I was stationed in Italy.

With regard to highway signs, personally I believe you are full of crap. There were not any public road signs posted in english and their native language from what I've seen in Germany and when I was stationed in Italy.

For the most part, highway signs used internationally recognized symbols and shapes. Signs giving warnings, information or instructions generally included English. Tourist spots generally had descriptions in multiple languages

But Americans are outraged over "press 1 for English"

For the most part, highway signs used internationally recognized symbols and shapes. Signs giving warnings, information or instructions generally included English. Tourist spots generally had descriptions in multiple languages

But Americans are outraged over "press 1 for English"

No, you still have to have a basic understanding of the language to navigate in Italy, to which I am not afraid to learn of another nation's language or customs. In fact, it shows a greater appreciation to those who live there that you are taking a real interest into knowing more about their country, while at the same time (heaven forbid) you actually learn something. A little hard work and effort to learn another culture actually is more beneficial, or you could choose the idea that you should simply be "catered to" rather than make any convincing effort. I'm just not that lazy and self centered in believing it's everyone else's job to accommodate you.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back