TIME: Dads Don't Deserve a Day

red states rule

May 30, 2006
The liberal media never stops providing great material

The Psychology of Fatherhood
Thursday, Jun. 07, 2007 By SARAH BLAFFER HRDY, MARY BATTEN

The folks at Hallmark are going to have a very good day on June 17. That's when more than 100 million of the company's ubiquitous cards will be given to the 66 million dads across the U.S. in observation of Father's Day. Such a blizzard of paper may be short of the more than 150 million cards sold for Mother's Day, but it's still quite a tribute. What's less clear is whether dads--at least as a group--have done a good enough job to deserve the honor.

Worldwide, 10% to 40% of children grow up in households with no father at all. In the U.S., more than half of divorced fathers lose contact with their kids within a few years. By the end of 10 years, as many as two-thirds of them have drifted out of their children's lives. According to a 1994 study by the Children's Defense Fund, men are more likely to default on a child-support payment (49%) than a used-car payment (3%). Even fathers in intact families spend a lot less time focused on their kids than they think: in the U.S. fathers average less than an hour a day (up from 20 minutes a few decades ago), usually squeezed in after the workday.

Anthropologists are trying to figure out why. Homo sapiens produces the most slowly maturing young of all mammals. Among foraging humans, children need 19 years--and consume 13 million calories--before producing more food for their community than they take from it, according to research by anthropologist Hillard Kaplan. You'd think fathers would be hardwired to provide for such needy offspring, and yet there is more variation in fathering styles across human cultures than among all other species of primates combined. Many of our primate kin are far better fathers than we are (investigators at the California primate center discovered that baby titi monkeys are in the arms of their fathers for as much as 90% of daylight hours); many are far worse. But all are at least consistent within their species. Why does paternal care in our species vary so much?

to read the complete article

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1630551,00.html

Couldn't be because in the US and else where in the west, Moms generally get custody in a contested case. Nor that it is still true that men provide the majority of household income. Society still has a stygma against men being the child raiser.

Couldn't be because in the US and else where in the west, Moms generally get custody in a contested case. Nor that it is still true that men provide the majority of household income. Society still has a stygma against men being the child raiser.

Leave it to Time to try a toss a bucket of cold water on Fathers Day

Women wrote the article and most of the "experts" were women

Leave it to Time to try a toss a bucket of cold water on Fathers Day

Women wrote the article and most of the "experts" were women

I do agree with one thing .... Father's Day, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day are all dreamed up celebrations to make greeting card companies richer.

Dads should get a damned day just for having to buy flowers, candy and cards all year round.

Realistically though, I can do without yet another tie to hang in my closet and collect dust.

I do agree with one thing .... Father's Day, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day are all dreamed up celebrations to make greeting card companies richer.

Dads should get a damned day just for having to buy flowers, candy and cards all year round.

Realistically though, I can do without yet another tie to hang in my closet and collect dust.

But I am sure, deep down, you love it when your kids give them to you.

Anthropologists are trying to figure out why. Homo sapiens produces the most slowly maturing young of all mammals. Among foraging humans, children need 19 years--and consume 13 million calories--before producing more food for their community than they take from it, according to research by anthropologist Hillard Kaplan.

Heh, I think my grandparents who both grew up on a farm would disagree with this. Farming societies tend to have large families largely because more kids means more workers.

Heh, I think my grandparents who both grew up on a farm would disagree with this. Farming societies tend to have large families largely because more kids means more workers.

I agree Baron, it's really only since WWII that 'kids' are still considered 'kids' until they finish school which for some of them is 25 or more. :rolleyes: My parents made the same agreement with me and my brother that we both made with our own kids, full time work or full time school, with part time work. We'll help through BA/BS, but advanced degrees are on your dime and you have to pay rent, food, utilities.

All of them have gotten through or are finishing college. I couldn't 'help' more than paying their car insurance, (two of them did not have cars at school, so the cost was reduced as they were over 100 miles from home. The one that did have a car, made the car payments,) and getting them 'set up' with dorm stuff in their first year. An occasional book purchase via online purchase, but other than that, they made it on scholarship, working, being RA, tutoring, or giving voice lessons.

Maturity seems to come when responsibility is expected. That's why fewer kids on farms felt neglected or that life was pointless. They knew they were needed and what they did was important.

The liberal media pays attention to illegals, while bashing American dads

Go figure

NY Times' Father's Day Gift to Illegals
Posted by Mark Finkelstein on June 17, 2007 - 06:32.
On this Father's Day, while men across the land generate enthusiasm for a tie, or a clock in the form of a golf ball, illegal immigrants get a much juicier present from the New York Times in the form of a tear-jerker of an op-ed column. For the Times, there is, palpably, no subject that cannot be turned into an ode to illegality.

In Impounded Fathers, Edwidge Danticat tells the stories of various fathers arrested and deported in ways that separated them from their families.

There is the father from Honduras who was imprisoned, then deported, after a routine traffic stop in Miami. He was forced to leave behind his wife, who was also detained by immigration officials, and his 5- and 7-year-old sons, who were placed in foster care.
The father from Panama, a cleaning contractor in his 50s, who had lived and worked in the United States for more than 19 years. One morning, he woke to the sound of loud banging on his door. He went to answer it and was greeted by armed immigration agents. His 10-year asylum case had been denied without notice. He was handcuffed and brought to jail.
The father from Argentina who moves his wife and children from house to house hoping to remain one step ahead of the immigration raids.
The Guatemalan, Mexican and Chinese fathers who have quietly sought sanctuary from deportation at churches across the United States.
The Haitian father who left for work one morning, was picked up outside his apartment and was deported before he got a chance to say goodbye to his infant daughter and his wife.
http://newsbusters.org/node/13522

The liberal media pays attention to illegals, while bashing American dads

Go figure

NY Times' Father's Day Gift to Illegals
Posted by Mark Finkelstein on June 17, 2007 - 06:32.
On this Father's Day, while men across the land generate enthusiasm for a tie, or a clock in the form of a golf ball, illegal immigrants get a much juicier present from the New York Times in the form of a tear-jerker of an op-ed column. For the Times, there is, palpably, no subject that cannot be turned into an ode to illegality.

In Impounded Fathers, Edwidge Danticat tells the stories of various fathers arrested and deported in ways that separated them from their families.

There is the father from Honduras who was imprisoned, then deported, after a routine traffic stop in Miami. He was forced to leave behind his wife, who was also detained by immigration officials, and his 5- and 7-year-old sons, who were placed in foster care.
The father from Panama, a cleaning contractor in his 50s, who had lived and worked in the United States for more than 19 years. One morning, he woke to the sound of loud banging on his door. He went to answer it and was greeted by armed immigration agents. His 10-year asylum case had been denied without notice. He was handcuffed and brought to jail.
The father from Argentina who moves his wife and children from house to house hoping to remain one step ahead of the immigration raids.
The Guatemalan, Mexican and Chinese fathers who have quietly sought sanctuary from deportation at churches across the United States.
The Haitian father who left for work one morning, was picked up outside his apartment and was deported before he got a chance to say goodbye to his infant daughter and his wife.
http://newsbusters.org/node/13522

Too bad. Had they been where they were supposed to be instead of unlawfully in the US, the incidences could have been completely avoided. No tears from me for people who have to suffer the consequences of their own actions.

Too bad. Had they been where they were supposed to be instead of unlawfully in the US, the incidences could have been completely avoided. No tears from me for people who have to suffer the consequences of their own actions.

On that we do agree

US citizens, when arrested, are sometmes taken in front of their families. Are we now to treat illegals BETTER then we treat our own citizens?

New Topics

Forum List

Back