Timber today, forests forever

S

spazdude

Just wanted to know if anyone here was interested in logging or clearcutting debates. I could start it off by saying I support both and hope that a decrease in our nation's logging would come to a halt and that our people realize that the extremeists have no clue what they are doing when they chain themselves to trees in order to save them. I will debate with anyone who has a reasonable argument.

welcome spazdude, I dont believe in clearcutting, period. never ever no. cutting of old growth yes but not ALL, cut some leave some. also with the way that technoligy is going,plastics and the like, also we are well on our way to a paperless society thanks in a large part to the net.[and mastercard] future generations should be able to see a real forest,old growth the way our forefathers wanted for us

My problem with the latest Bush/GOP policy to thin out forests to "prevent wild fires" is that is so disingenuous. This is really a thinly veiled subsidy for big logging interests at the expense both of the taxpayers and our beautiful national parks and forests. These logging interests have been for years pushing to be able to cut in Yellowstone National Park and many other reserves. Now the Bush administration via an executive order as turned over our national forests to be logged. I don't know that I'd chain myself to a tree, but I know I will work to get rid of this administration which has done little but play Santa Claus, giving gifts to special interests and corporations right and left.

I am sure if you lived where wild fires can happen you would feel differently. I believe the bill G.W signed has been floating around for years and after the bad fires on the west coast were pushed through. Its to bad everything has to be politicized, its really getting old.

It has great logic, without any trees there won't be any forest fires.

Now if we could only pass a "Homeless Thinning" Act, to lower the amount of homeless, rather than actually trying to help them, we simply send them to North Korean stockyards and then, BAM!, problem solved, fewer homeless(and a pretty penny for Cheney).

egads!!! Im surrounded!! what pray tell do homeless people have to do trees? also we do have a house and senate, both of which must me something new to you. :cof:

Originally posted by acludem
These logging interests have been for years pushing to be able to cut in Yellowstone National Park and many other reserves. Now the Bush administration via an executive order as turned over our national forests to be logged
Are you suggesting the new initiative allows logging in Yellowstone?

I believe you are mistaken. Yellowstone is federally protected land. House Bill H.R. 1904 - Healty Forests Restoration Act of 2003 does state exclusions of certain lands.

d) EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN FEDERAL LANDS- The Secretary concerned may not plan or conduct an authorized hazardous fuels reduction project that would occur on any of the following Federal lands:

(1) A component of the National Wilderness Preservation System.

(2) Federal lands where, by Act of Congress or Presidential proclamation, the removal of vegetation is prohibited or restricted.

(3) Wilderness Study Areas.

Also in the bill are guidelines for public notice and meeting for any area to be concedered.

(c) PUBLIC NOTICE AND MEETING-

(1) PUBLIC NOTICE- The Secretary concerned shall provide notice of each authorized hazardous fuels reduction project in accordance with applicable regulations and administrative guidelines.

(2) PUBLIC MEETING- During the planning stage of each authorized hazardous fuels reduction project, the Secretary concerned shall conduct a public meeting at an appropriate location proximate to the administrative unit of the Federal lands in which the authorized hazardous fuels reduction project will be conducted. The Secretary concerned shall provide advance notice of the date and time of the meeting.

Link, will need to query for bill HR1904, look at exclusion section

And what makes you think this was an executive order by Bush?

house vote

nice post, seems as though everything under the sun is G.W's fault according to some on here,dont matter what year...still his fault. poor losers need to get over2000 and get ready for 4 more of G.W.

Congress passed that piece of legislation. The executive order in question did deal with Yellowstone, but I made a mistake, it stated that Snowmobiles will now by allowed to run in all parts of Yellowstone. There's something we really need. Logging will still occur in parts of Yellowstone, mark my words. If GW Bush and the Republican congress are re-elected they'll let the loggers in. It will happen, and it will be a national tragedy.

Oh I see, you were subsituiting snowmobiling with logging and predicting the future of a federally protected national park based on future election results.

Logging will still occur in parts of Yellowstone, mark my words. If GW Bush and the Republican congress are re-elected they'll let the loggers in. It will happen, and it will be a national tragedy.

Other than your opinion, do you have ANY proof at all to back up your 'ridiculous' predictions?

Forum List

Back