Tim Wise- Institutional Racism In American Society Is Real

Bass v 2.0

Biblical Warrior For God.
Jun 16, 2008
Pennsylvania
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55zE_qJd2g]YouTube - TIM WISE- INSTITUTIONAL RACISM IN AMERICAN SOCIETY IS REAL[/ame]

Alot of whites are in denial if they deny the truth in this.

So what does that have to do with there being Institutional Racism in the US?

There still is and will be for quite some time. That's life. Who is going to willingly change if they see nothing in it for them?

Good article: Only posting the first few paragraphs.

It often seems that the only way liberals can talk about race is to encircle the "racists" and point at them -- either for a laugh or a morality tale. The former is one of the many tricks that faux news personality Stephen Colbert employs in his caricature of a conservative. His racist schtick makes fun of racists, and there's a comfortable distance between the satire and the show's mostly liberal viewers. The critique goes down easy because it represents something the viewer isn't.

On the other hand, the website Black People Love Us!, featuring a liberal white couple, Johnny and Sally, enters murkier territory. Well-intentioned Johnny and Sally hang out with their black friends, who, as the namesake indicates, love them. Part of the site's subversion -- and subsequent confusion -- comes from the fact that its humor is not so separate from liberal Americana. We could meet a Johnny and Sally at a cocktail party, and maybe already have. One black "friend's" testimonial -- "Johnny is generous enough to remark upon how 'articulate' I am! That makes me feel good!" -- carries a zesty punch in light of Joe Biden's recent remarks on Barack Obama.

At these satires' roots is a distinction between challenging a Don Imus-type racism and the investment in something called white privilege. In the 1980s, a white feminist, Peggy McIntosh, came up with the metaphor of an "invisible knapsack" to analyze white privilege. It's unconscious, elusive, pervasive, and white liberals have as much of it as white conservatives do. McIntosh listed some ways she has white privilege. Her list ranges from the broad: "I can, if I wish, arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time," to the supposedly trivial: "I can choose ... bandages in 'flesh' color and have them more or less match my skin."

Jonah Peretti, co-creator of blackpeopelloveus.com (and also of Nike Sweatshop E-mail fame) said that the Web site's purpose was to "draw attention to the unintentionally offensive comments made by well-meaning white folks."

I've met Johnnys and Sallys at political events, house parties, and through friends of friends, who have an unnerving belief in their own righteousness -- their "downness" with the cause. The issue, though, is not the occasional off-color remark, but rather the framework that comment stems from.

White Liberals Have White Privilege Too! | | AlterNet

There still is and will be for quite some time. That's life. Who is going to willingly change if they see nothing in it for them?

Change what? The extant physical, social, biological yea all-consuming reality of race, racial difference and racial competiton? Like you can change the rising of the sun and the tides of the ocean? The bottom line is that whites do better because they're smarter, not because they're morally deficient. Nothing is going to change that hard and fast fact. The notion that whites must "change" is code for "whites must hand over the fruits of their labor on totally false grounds." Bullshit.

Forum List

Back